Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

and its 10 days away, so I say every day we up the ante....or hold.

or fold.  

Progressive pot.  Any takers?  It's like a morgue in here, so we gotta do something to pass the time.

Nut

With the track record for snowstorms 10 days out what it is, I'm inclined to fold, but...I will be starting a new job by the middle of next week. Every time I start a new job, we get a storm of some kind in that general time frame, so the chances may be better than normal for this one.

59 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Hey, I'm all in. Why not? Heck, Williamsport is calling for a 4"-8" event. It's gonna snow! :)

Bet is for cumulative now till 2/8 snow total fr state college or Harrisburg to have 6".  

I'll open today fr a beer. Not to proud...yet. 

Nut

41 minutes ago, Voyager said:

With the track record for snowstorms 10 days out what it is, I'm inclined to fold, but...I will be starting a new job by the middle of next week. Every time I start a new job, we get a storm of some kind in that general time frame, so the chances may be better than normal for this one.

You take the one you mentioned earlier? 

Hope it goes well for you!

Working a nice snow band here in the early going this morning, up to 1.3" the last couple of hours and looks like we might hang on to some fairly steady snow for a little while. 

Pretty decent and stable pattern for at least the next several days. Certainly not a blockbuster maker by any means but a seasonably cold, northern stream dominant regime with a fairly nice ridge in the west for a change to start. There's several disturbances in the northern stream that will help reinforce the eastern trough and I'd be willing to bet one of these ends up delivering snowfall to some or most. Models seem to be focusing on one wave in particular around Tuesday to deliver this potentially more widespread light to perhaps somewhat moderate snowfall to the region. Progged track of the wave is just north of PA so best region will likely be the west and central with the Sus Valley maybe having downslope issues with that track. Will have to see where that goes.

Beyond that, a more sizable system has been starting to show up around what is now about the D8-9 timeframe, but considerable differences attm. Overnight Euro for instance way progressive and suppressed with the wave, while the 0z GFS tries to run a more amplified low up into PA. Some western ridging redevelops around this timeframe on the models, which is in itself a better look than a major trough bombing into the west coast driving up eastern heights. So while a cutter can't be ruled out, a half decent system around that timeframe has the potential to go under PA for a change or perhaps a miller-B type outcome. We're def overdue for one of those. 

6 hours ago, canderson said:

You take the one you mentioned earlier? 

Hope it goes well for you!

Yes, I did. I go for the drug test Monday, and will probably be running Wednesday or Thursday when the results come back. I can't pass up the pay and home time. I'll be getting a percentage of the revenue the truck generates. It's much better than getting paid mileage rates. In my latest video, I show what my weekly miles were in the 8 weeks I was with the OTR company. Those miles along with the rate per mile they were paying, were terrible. Drivers need 2,500 to 3,000 miles per week to make any money. Especially when you figure the expenses of living on the road (meals, showers, drinks, etc).

With the new, local job, I'll be doubling what I made some of those weeks with the other one.

37 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Very Light snow has been falling here in Marysville the last couple of hours. There is a light dusting on the car tops & grill cover.

I look forward to this upcoming week of tracking. Let's see if the early week clipper & end of next week storm can get this winter going in a better direction ?

It's nice to see flurries like this to show winter still does exist here lol

just missed being where the accident on valley road was by a few minutes - sauss were you called to respond? Couldn't see all of it but it didn't look good.

9 hours ago, Voyager said:

Yes, I did. I go for the drug test Monday, and will probably be running Wednesday or Thursday when the results come back. I can't pass up the pay and home time. I'll be getting a percentage of the revenue the truck generates. It's much better than getting paid mileage rates. In my latest video, I show what my weekly miles were in the 8 weeks I was with the OTR company. Those miles along with the rate per mile they were paying, were terrible. Drivers need 2,500 to 3,000 miles per week to make any money. Especially when you figure the expenses of living on the road (meals, showers, drinks, etc).

With the new, local job, I'll be doubling what I made some of those weeks with the other one.

That's awesome Voyager! Happy to hear. Now let's get a good snow storm to celebrate. I'm liking the LR prospects. GEFS was a nice step in the direction of snow and nice weather for my sites out west :) 

The pattern is looking good for snow chances as we head in to the beginning of February.

The GFS ensembles & Euro ensembles have been ramping up snow amounts for all of CTP during the first 10 days of February.

It looks like we will have a few chances to score some decent snow. Hopefully we will finally cash in this winter.

The 6z GFS had a very crowd pleasing run for all of CTP for the storm on Super Bowl Sunday. It shows a widespread 6-8 inches of snow for most of us starting midday next sunday & ending early Monday am.

In the short term, will this snow squall that is heading southeast from the State College & Lewistown area make it down to the Harrisburg area this morning?

10 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 6z GFS had a very crowd pleasing run for all of CTP for the storm on Super Bowl Sunday. It shows a widespread 6-8 inches of snow for most of us starting midday next sunday & ending early Monday am.

In the short term, will this snow squall that is heading southeast from the State College & Lewistown area make it down to the Harrisburg area this morning?

It gave us a few tenths of an inch of snow this morning in State College.

On 1/28/2017 at 8:58 AM, djr5001 said:

It's nice to see flurries like this to show winter still does exist here lol

just missed being where the accident on valley road was by a few minutes - sauss were you called to respond? Couldn't see all of it but it didn't look good.

Yep I was there. The yellow car rolled multiple times. She had her seat belt on so she wasn't hurt as bad as she could have been. 

Had another 1.2" from the band of snow showers this morning with average overall snow depth of bout 2.5" in the backyard. It makes 3.6" here in the last three days (0.9", 1.5", 1.2") and 17.4" on the season so far. Basically on par with last winter to date, but getting there in a much different fashion. The top of Wopsy Mountain about 5 miles west (and about 1200ft up) of Altoona had a good 6-8" on the ground when I was up there yesterday. 

The clipper system on Tuesday is going to be the next threat for any kind of widespread snow in the region. Two limiting factors I see for the Sus Valley and southern tier is the track of the system north of PA and surface temps Tue afternoon. The track north of PA and the westerly flow being south of the low would imply downsloping issues not to mention the best precip may also go north.. although GFS and Euro have been fairly decent with QPF as far as clippers go. The NAM is further north attm and doesn't have a lot of precip even in the northern tier. A preliminary guess from me right now would be a T-1 event in the Sus Valley/south central, 1-2" in the AOO/UNV/IPT corridor, and 2-4" in the Laurels and north central/NE PA counties. 

The GFS & Canadian at 12z both still have the Super Bowl Sunday storm with a 4-6 inch type snow for most of CTP. The Euro is not yet on board for this storm, but does show a cold pattern loaded with potential for week after the the Super Bowl.

First, let's see how these early week Clipper systems turn out to possibly get a little snow before we close out January.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

When was the last time MDT had no measurable snowfall in January? Barring a flurry storm lasting five hours we will have that this season.

MDT officially has 0.9 inches in January 

& is sitting at 1.7 for the season, which is 12 inches below normal year to date.

This Clipper on Tuesday 1/31 maybe will push us over the 1 inch mark for the month!

Better days should be ahead in the first half of February with the look of the pattern & the output of the ensembles the last few days.

13 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

MDT officially has 0.9 inches in January 

& is sitting at 1.7 for the season, which is 12 inches below normal year to date.

This Clipper on Tuesday 1/31 maybe will push us over the 1 inch mark for the month!

Better days should be ahead in the first half of February with the look of the pattern & the output of the ensembles the last few days.

When did they get .9"? I've had none. We had 1" sleet before Christmas and about .4" on Dec 27.

15 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Since 1888

2005-2006
1972-1973
Each a trace

IMG_0450.PNG

This chart that you posted is encouraging in regard to not giving up on winter despite very little snow to date.

Look at one of our best winters in recent memory back in 09-10. There was only 1 inch in January of 2010 & nothing in March, but February was perhaps the best single month in MDT recorded history thanks to 2 great storms in 1 week.

There are a few other years on the chart above where there wasn't much before a really good Feb & March.

Archived