422 PM EST MON JAN 23 2017

PAZ019-025-026-045-046-240930-
/O.EXA.KCTP.WW.Y.0004.000000T0000Z-170124T1200Z/
SOUTHERN CENTRE-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-SOUTHERN CLINTON-
SOUTHERN LYCOMING-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF STATE COLLEGE, ALTOONA, HUNTINGDON,
MOUNT UNION, LOCK HAVEN, AND WILLIAMSPORT
422 PM EST MON JAN 23 2017

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION...WHICH IS
IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST TUESDAY.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* RAIN AND SLEET WILL CHANGE TO MOSTLY SNOW BY EARLY EVENING AND FALL
  HEAVILY AT TIMES INTO EARLY TUESDAY MORNING.

* SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS 2 TO 5 INCHES. SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AND WET
  WITH MAXIMUM AMOUNTS IN THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS. LOWER AMOUNTS
  EXPECTED IN THE VALLEYS.

IMPACTS...

* HAZARDOUS TRAVEL ON SNOW COVERED ROADS. LONGER COMMUTE TIMES
  MONDAY EVENING AND TUESDAY MORNING. GUSTY WINDS AND HEAVY WET
  SNOW MAY RESULT IN ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THE PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION REMINDS MOTORISTS
TO ADJUST SPEEDS BASED ON DRIVING CONDITIONS AND TO TAKE IT SLOW
IN ICE AND SNOW.

&&

They should have held off a little longer. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coating on grassy surfaces here. Sleet mixing back in with the snow a bit. Light-moderate rate. 

19z HRRR is def a C-PA crusher, but you can see elevational dependancies. I also don't expect 10:1 to be achieved for most folks under 1800-2k feet with the marginal surface temps and the warm/wet ground. I'd prob cut about 20-30% off of those totals.

acsnw_t3sfc_f18.png

1 minute ago, Jmister said:

Quite a break in coverage moving SE to NW. I did not see that occurring in the short-term models including the latest HRRR. I'm guessing it will be spotty for a little while.

It's very slick out. Cars are starting to slip some on the roads.

Yea i've been watching that as well. The precip probably will start pivoting at some point to become more n-s oriented.. and perhaps reorganize a bit.  I would imagine there will continue to be at least light stuff generated as that major easterly fetch upslopes into interior PA. We need to at least maintain moderate rates to keep things accumulating in the valleys though. 

19 minutes ago, skiier04 said:

Definitely not the look I expected from the radar at this hour, but have to imagine that fetch off the ocean won't leave any of us north of the border counties staying dry. Will be interesting to watch the pivot over the next few hours.

Pivot will backfill especially with the low slowing at the coast.  Models have shown to different degrees but it's been there.

Nut. 

Crazy. Left Rochester at 4:15 and it was cloudy and 44 degrees. Did not hit precipitation until Elmira where it was 36 and sleet. Binghamton 33 with rain and sleet mix at 6:45 and finally heavy sleet here in Clarks Summit. The plows are out and plowing pingers! 32 degrees right now with moderate precip downstream.

6 minutes ago, skiier04 said:

Yeah this is definitely not over. Just hope that it's snow once things start back up here.

Looking at the radar and seeing blue showing up into Lehigh valley and rather close to the LSV.  Hoping it doesn't underperform with the wraparound as the models have been rather steady with this one, and it would be nice to go into a favorable period with confidence and not skepticism. 

Nut

10 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Looking at the radar and seeing blue showing up into Lehigh valley and rather close to the LSV.  Hoping it doesn't underperform with the wraparound as the models have been rather steady with this one, and it would be nice to go into a favorable period with confidence and not skepticism. 

Nut

I agree 100 % 

Hopefully we rock until the end of March with snow on snow !

I have not seen the Euro weeklies yet, but the best posters in the Mid Atlantic forum really like the look of the them tonight.

6 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I agree 100 % 

Hopefully we rock until the end of March with snow on snow !

I have not seen the Euro weeklies yet, but the best posters in the Mid Atlantic forum really like the look of the them tonight.

Yeah saw that as well. 

Gfs showing long awaited nao and sustained trough. I hate to even hype it up I'm so gun shy right now. 

Good luk tonight all. 

Nut

Woke up to a fairly steady light snow and up to about 1.6" for the event now. Temps have fallen just a bit to slightly below freezing (31-32ish) so the overnight snow has stuck to every individual branch on the trees. Precip shield trying to rebuild a bit from the west, so will see if steady snow hangs on down here for some more additional accumulation. 

Archived