Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Dec 12 Snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't think it makes a difference in central and srn CT too much since it torches 950-925. 

Agreed, the Waterbury BUFKIT profile shows us torched from the surface to 800 by 13z lol. I see OKX time and time again go too aggressive with their snow forecasts. I guess they just figure it's better to bust high than low for the public's sake.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

RGEM seemed a tick colder 12z monday at the srfc which isn't a surprise. Compared to the 12z run.  Has a bit of burst of snow prior to the meat of the stuff from some sort of low level stuff coming up from the south. Almost like indirect OES. NAM had it too. 

Yeah it dropped more snow than 12z. Pretty good thump for about 4 hours. 

5 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Agreed, the Waterbury BUFKIT profile shows us torched from the surface to 800 by 13z lol. I see OKX time and time again go too aggressive with their snow forecasts. I guess they just figure it's better to bust high than low for the public's sake.

This always confused me,  isn't busting high when you get more than you were forecast to??  And busting low is when you get less than you were forecast to?? 

So by OKX forecasting 5 inches, and if you get 3 inches, you busted low-right? And with them forecasting 5 inches, wouldn't there forecast bust low if you got less than 5??

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

This always confused me,  isn't busting high when you get more than you were forecast to??  And busting low is when you get less than you were forecast to?? 

So by OKX forecasting 5 inches, and if you get 3 inches, you busted low-right? And with them forecasting 5 inches, wouldn't there forecast bust low if you got less than 5??

Lol, yeah I guess you're right. I look at it the other way around because my brain is weird. :D

18z gfs did get a tick better. If we can get one more tick colder across the board on the 00z suite then I'd feel pretty good about advisory snow for most of BOX CWA. Only the cape and parts of the south coast I'd leave out. But I want to see one more nudge...the colder ticks have been coinciding with some better precip rates too. Increase that fronto. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

18z gfs did get a tick better. If we can get one more tick colder across the board on the 00z suite then I'd feel pretty good about advisory snow for most of BOX CWA. Only the cape and parts of the south coast I'd leave out. But I want to see one more nudge...the colder ticks have been coinciding with some better precip rates too. Increase that fronto. 

Seems like BOX is confident for an advisory; very bearish on any type of warning criteria in the CWA.  Maybe I can verify without one.  It's been a while.......

Back at the Pit....125 miles longer and only about 45 minutes longer than one of my 'bad' Boston commutes.

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Here are my latest thoughts:

http://easternmassweather.blogspot.com

Thanks for the post, Ray--I'll keep my finger's crossed for the higher side of the range.

BOX calling for 3-5 in my zfp.  P/C has 3-5 Sunday night, additional 1-2 on Monday.  Sounds like 4-6 to me, just like their map.

Overperforming fluff tomorrow evening with that deep dendritic growth layer. Lots of RH and a bit of lift.

I think for most of CT we get an inch or two tomorrow evening than a quick burst of snow to freezing rain at 9z. Warm air is going to be tough to hold off down here.

Thinking 1-3" for Hartford is a good bet with 3"+ right along Mass border. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 7.47.03 PM.png

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

00z NAM verbatim was a bit warmer, but I thought better thump too for those north of pike and inland. Also has that band streaming to the NW off the Cape..hoping to catch an inch or two from that at least. And yeah the DGZ in many areas is pretty good to start.

At least by the qpf maps, it looks like much of CT's snow comes early in the system before things crank up (as much as they do) and the warmth creeps in.

Archived