Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Dec 12 Snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

RGEM is ice cold at 48.

Has accumulating snow way south into PHilly and SNJ.Even a bit south of there. 

You can see where this is heading today. Good signal 

Maybe if you weenie it just a little bit more mother nature will give you a jackpot!

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Maybe if you weenie it just a little bit more mother nature will give you a jackpot!

Lunenburg takes issue...

There just isn't a huge amount of moisture to wring out much more than 5" anywhere 

Some moose in Maine might wake up with 7" on his antlers but I think that's a stretch. I will be happy with a freshening and a plowable, but nothing siggy 

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Nice look, Jeff.  I imagine with that range you might have watches hoisted.  Even though the 6" misses the threshold, it's close enough for government work.

Thanks, I'm leaning 5-6" here, Models have been steadfast in that range over the last couple days and today.

The models have a pretty good burst coming into SNE at 09z, timed with significant warming. That's the omega thump Will and I were talking about yesterday. I guess that's the feature that could sneak in a 4 of 5 spot in SNE an south of the pike interior locations that will fight 850 warming, but cold enough at the srfc.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

The models have a pretty good burst coming into SNE at 09z, timed with significant warming. That's the omega thump Will and I were talking about yesterday. I guess that's the feature that could sneak in a 4 of 5 spot in SNE an south of the pike interior locations that will fight 850 warming, but cold enough at the srfc.

Are you expecting the colder trend to continue today with things coming more in line with Rgem, or are they leveled off?

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If a 'spot' is sneaking 4 or 5, are you expecting closer to 2-3" being the more basic coverage?

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Are you expecting the colder trend to continue today with things coming more in line with Rgem, or are they leveled off?

It wouldn't shock me if models trend a bit cooler inland with srfc temps, but I don't see things changing overall. I suppose it could, but I think the low level warming...like 850 and below isn't getting denied.

This isn't a classic SWFE. There really is no warm tongue in that 800-700 layer. It's all low level warming from lousy high placement, parent low well NW and a weaker CAD signal. So the bust potential on the snowy side may not be a good idea. However, if the whole system were to come in weak and further south...that's the only real way to get a snowier scenario, at least for those south of pike. But, there are things like those bursts of stronger lift that can squeeze out an extra inch or two in those questionable areas that I mentioned.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It wouldn't shock me if models trend a bit cooler inland with srfc temps, but I don't see things changing overall. I suppose it could, but I think the low level warming...like 850 and below isn't getting denied.

This isn't a classic SWFE. There really is no warm tongue in that 800-700 layer. It's all low level warming from lousy high placement, parent low well NW and a weaker CAD signal. So the bust potential on the snowy side may not be a good idea. However, if the whole system were to come in weak and further south...that's the only real way to get a snowier scenario, at least for those south of pike. But, there are things like those bursts of stronger lift that can squeeze out an extra inch or two in those questionable areas that I mentioned.

So you mean temps getting into the 40's or snow to ice ending as dz at 35?

11 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks...perhaps I'll hit double digits on the season.   And, maybe I'll need to give myself a work-from-home day on Monday.

If things are timed right, I'll drive to work before the storm really gets cranking and come home after the worst, with the roads well treated.  Of course, some nervous Nellie in State government may decide to turn us loose at noon, so several thousand commuters launch into the heaviest snowfall.   :o

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

If things are timed right, I'll drive to work before the storm really gets cranking and come home after the worst, with the roads well treated.  Of course, some nervous Nellie in State government may decide to turn us loose at noon, so several thousand commuters launch into the heaviest snowfall.   :o

lol, That's government at its finest

Archived