Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 11-12 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, uncle W said:

between March 3rd 1960 and Feb. 4th 1961 NYC got four blizzards and a major hurricane...The only year that comes close is 2009-2011... six storms in 14 months in NYC...

1960-61 was the snowiest winter on record for Dobbs Ferry with 90" recorded at the co-op. It is closely followed by 1995-96 and 1957-58, the only two other winters with over 80". 2013-14 was close with 74"; if any of those storns that hit DC in March had come up the coast, we may have approached the rexord. Even Bay Ridge in extreme SW Brooklyn had 58" in 2013-14.

8 minutes ago, nzucker said:

1960-61 was the snowiest winter on record for Dobbs Ferry with 90" recorded at the co-op. It is closely followed by 1995-96 and 1957-58, the only two other winters with over 80". 2013-14 was close with 74"; if any of those storns that hit DC in March had come up the coast, we may have approached the rexord. Even Bay Ridge in extreme SW Brooklyn had 58" in 2013-14.

Deepest snowpack on record for NNJ came following the Feb. storm - the three reservoirs 7-15 miles W & NW of where I lived had 47-52" at peak.  With a friend I tried to wade thru the woods, giving up after 100 yards.  I was 5'8" then, and the snow was up to my navel, with probably 6"+ under my boots - over 40", maybe up to 45".   I don't think we ever got past 24" in the 21 years we lived in the Jersey Highlands (and I was a few months shy of my 2nd birthday when the big post-Christmas storm dumped 25-30" over most of the NYC metro region.)

33 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Ggem, all snow for burbs but much weaker, keeping heaviest precip south of NYC... someone with a bit more knowledge wanna dive into why the GGEM may see this, other than a weeker LP?

The PV is noticeably closer on the Canadian vs the GFS, so that's probably interfering to some extent. 

6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Gefs cut as well, how much front end dump we can squeeze out looks to be the theme for this, members are split 

3-6" for burbs

coating to 1" NYC proper

For the coast and the city itself, I think it's going to trend toward less and less and maybe eventually nothing, we'll see.

WX/PT

1 hour ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

This is primarily a rain event as the low heads to Detroit, northern New England, and on out. Some of us may get a brief period of sleet or snow at the start. Little or no accumulation, leaning toward none.

WX/PT

completely agree.  Good to see you at this board as well. 

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

I think 2-4 for the immediate NW burbs is being real generous. Like you said, extremely dry boundary layer. This may be a virga fest for awhile before it saturates enough to snow at the beginning. I'd honestly want to be north of 84 to get snow for this one. With an 850mb low track like that to the west, the low level jet punching in from the south is going to warm the midlevels very quickly the further south you go

I doubt places like my parents' house in Dobbs Ferry is going to receive 2-4". I'm expecting a coating to an inch here in the Bronx, 1-2" in Westchester/Rockland, and 2-4" from Poughkeepsie northward to Albany.

1 minute ago, nzucker said:

I doubt places like my parents' house in Dobbs Ferry is going to receive 2-4". I'm expecting a coating to an inch here in the Bronx, 1-2" in Westchester/Rockland, and 2-4" from Poughkeepsie northward to Albany.

From Rockland to Albany is a long way for only 2" difference in accumulation 

It does not look like a snowy scenario at all for the coast.  That said, and I think I said this a few days ago too.  The 60-68 hour period scares me a bit, I don't like the relatively big high pulling out, its not in the best position, but the system is arriving early enough that the high is still close enough there is a window of 4-6 hours where overrunning snows could break out when the southerly low level flow is not yet really established.

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Nice run for areas north and west of the city. 4-6 and i dont think they go over to plain rain. Nyc is about 1-2 but overall it was weaker with the system and colder. Its snow lightly all afternoon on sunday per the euro 

Dew points are very low, I think a lot of that Sunday snow will be virga

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Exactly. And I haven't seen a single post that I recall talking about the 850 low which tracks from Wisconsin to Nova Scotia. Folks, that is NOT the recipe for early December snows.

this is still a decent threat, for N+W sections of this sub. ALL model guidance has interior front end accumulation... even the GFS 

this is still a decent threat, for N+W sections of this sub. ALL model guidance has interior front end accumulation... even the GFS 

Guess Im unclear of where exactly "New York City Metro" is actually located? If you are defining areas like Poughkeepsie and Albany as NYC Metro then I agree with your thinking. Otherwise, NYC proper will be lucky to see a half inch accums. Guess that's where we disagree....NYC Metro vs NW burbs/interior sections.

Archived