Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 11-12 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

What's in favor of a snowstorm? Euro and CMC(which 2 runs ago was bleak)? 

Teleconnections aren't bad or good fresh Arctic air decent high in place ( on some models) other than the 2 models you mentioned nav gem, eps, etc plus we most likely get a decent front end dump. Sure we may get nothing but using the reasoning of the gfs and the out of range nam isn't a great argument. Just need to wait a big imo

The first wave was locking this in earlier. Now the first wave completely dissipates which allows the second to hook to the left and this should effectively take all or certainly most of us over to rain after a period of snow and possibly some sleet. I suspect that the models which are still flatter/colder will eventually catch onto this idea as well. Am I sure? No. Can this change? Yes. We'll see.

WX/PT

3 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Not impossible for that to actually happen but at this point, I'd be a little surprised.

WX/PT

The question marks on the city and immediate burbs at this point, north of 84,  2-5" is pretty much unanimous between all models, obviously there's alot time left and it can change for Better or worse

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

The question marks on the city and immediate burbs at this point, north of 84,  2-5" is pretty much unanimous between all models, obviously there's alot time left and it can change for Better or worse

Oh yes, north of 84, north of Albany, yes, those areas can hang on to whatever they start out with (snow) considerably longer.

WX/PT

9 minutes ago, Pamela said:

December 11 -12 are always good days astronomically for snow around here..two of the best autumn snow days that come to mind.  The 12/11/82 storm ("Snow Plow" game at Foxboro) stands out as a good example.

December 11-12th, 1960...17" in Battery Park...true blizzard...Still my favorite storm...

5 minutes ago, Pamela said:

Now that was some winter!  The incredible inaugural storm in January, the blizzard in February...and this was all preceded by the Great Blizzard of March 1960....4 storms in 11 months.  And was it ever cold from January into early February!

I'll never forget the silly inconsistency in that film Born on the 4th of July (near the start of the movie) where it shows a pleasant day (with leaves on the trees) in Massapequa, Long Island while the family is watching the Kennedy Inauguration live on TV.  In truth, there was a roaring blizzard going on here that day.

between March 3rd 1960 and Feb. 4th 1961 NYC got four blizzards and a major hurricane...The only year that comes close is 2009-2011... six storms in 14 months in NYC...

36 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

The interior should do well whether this cuts or slides underneath. CAD is a beautiful thing and usually under modeled on the GFS. 3-6" isn't a bad call right now for areas 40+ miles NW

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I like where the interior sits at the moment. After the last few winters of pulling teeth for every tenth of an inch of liquid, I'll gladly roll the dice with p-type. We talked about that so much in the HV thread that it almost became a meme, but it really is true.

Agreed.. Last few winters it was never a matter of it being cold enough it was could we get precip far enough north. Ill take my chances with p-type as long as the precip is there.

Archived