Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 11-12 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This looks  like a quick snow to rain scenario for the coast and some accumulating snow for the interior unless the precip comes in faster than modeled.

Hopefully the entire area at least gets on the board for measurable snow. Beyond that, it looks to go to rain fast near the coast and for the city, and whatever falls southeast of I-287 should be washed away by the end. 

49 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Latest from upton A broad rain or snow approach was used in the forecast. Significant snowfall is most likely across the northern and western interior, even if there is indeed a changeover in those area. As a result, the Hazardous Weather Outlook will include Orange county in a 6 inch snowfall risk. The precipitation may change back to a snow, again depending on track which means the dry slot in this case, at the end of the event.

North of 84 probably gets a few inches of snow, other than that, weak surface high and CAD, mediocre boundary layer, surface low cuts way west and you have a screaming, warm low level jet punching in from the south destroying the mid levels ahead of the advancing warm front. South of 84 is probably a quick inch before all rain 

23 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

4 weeks later than normal, that is pathetic.

17 months in a row of above normal temps. Hopefully this month puts an end to the streak, but I'm not betting on it yet.

Dutch Harbor, AK holds the current record at 42 months in a row above normal.

Stations with above normal temperatures for 24+ consecutive months (through November 2016). Dutch Harbor, AK, leads with 42 months in a row. pic.twitter.com/pse8g2RQT5

11 minutes ago, Pamela said:

I'm sure that "17% chance" in Meriden is based on the most up to date science and carefully arranged permutations and algorithms known to modern man...and proves itself to be so utterly useful to residents of Meriden; who will derive the most extraordinary comfort & sustenance from knowing that there is a "17% chance" of 4 inches of snow in their town.

Yeah.... Something like that smh

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Another thing is that dew points are in the teens when precip arrives, i would not be surprised in this set-up if we're window watching with returns over head, only to see nothing falling...ill wait to see euro, but my call would be 1-2" city 2-4" NW burbs, 3-6 extreme burbs, everyone rains eventually 

Agreed... Even with the cutter GFS is still showing 3-5" for O.C 

8 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Another thing is that dew points are in the teens when precip arrives, i would not be surprised in this set-up if we're window watching with returns over head, only to see nothing falling...ill wait to see euro, but my call would be 1-2" city 2-4" NW burbs, 3-6 extreme burbs, everyone rains eventually 

I think 2-4 for the immediate NW burbs is being real generous. Like you said, extremely dry boundary layer. This may be a virga fest for awhile before it saturates enough to snow at the beginning. I'd honestly want to be north of 84 to get snow for this one. With an 850mb low track like that to the west, the low level jet punching in from the south is going to warm the midlevels very quickly the further south you go

2 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

What about the Wednesday system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went south with the mid week threat. Snow north and west but just enough southeast ridge to keep the metro as rain. Still plenty of time left to work on that. 

Im about done with this Sunday night turd. North and west should get 1-3/2-4. I'm all about mid week now. 

20 minutes ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

For the coast.

No, not just the coast. When low pressure tracks to Detroit, most of the area including inland are getting mostly rain. Could some inland areas hold onto some wet snow or sleet a little longer at the start, sure, but it's still most likely to end up mainly rain. The only way I can see that changing is for the primary low to weaken or wash out completely and secondary to quickly develop off of the coast, but the latest maps would suggest that if that happens it won't be until the primary itself is entering northern New England, and that's just WAY too late to save this one. Could the forecast maps, the GFS particularly, be wrong? Sure. But it right now just does not seem likely.

WX/PT

Just now, Wxoutlooksblog said:

No, not just the coast. When low pressure tracks to Detroit, most of the area including inland are getting mostly rain. Could some inland areas hold onto some wet snow or sleet a little longer at the start, sure, but it's still most likely to end up mainly rain. The only way I can see that changing is for the primary low to weaken or wash out completely and secondary to quickly develop off of the coast, but the latest maps would suggest that if that happens it won't be until the primary itself is entering northern New England, and that's just WAY too late to save this one. Could the forecast maps, the GFS particularly, be wrong? Sure. But it right now just does not seem likely.

WX/PT

Elevation and how far inland will mean more snow, how much we shall see.

Archived