joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models converging on the idea of a more -EPO now going forward. So yet another winter month since 13-14 where the NAO/AO falls

short but the Pacific exceeds expectations and does the work for cold and snow potential. The one common denominator is that 

we continue in an era of remarkable blocking patterns. The coast just needs one of these waves to get forced far enough south

under the Arctic high to produce snowfall like we saw in similar patterns in Dec 08 and 13 where the Pacific blocking dominated.

eps_epo_bias.png

gefs_epo_06.png

8 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

LMAO they just did that because we were so far past the avg first freeze dates.  We still have plenty of things growing here - most stuff is gonna get killed this weekend though.

Yeah, I took up what was left yday, peppers etc.  They must be using the all time avg and not the 30 yr avg to get that 2 week comment.  They mean the growing season was ended as far as the frost/freeze warning program is concerned.  They have no interest in issuing freeze warnings in Dec.  The sun angle ends the growing season before temp do in the UHI. 

57 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Models converging on the idea of a more -EPO now going forward. So yet another winter month since 13-14 where the NAO/AO falls

short but the Pacific exceeds expectations and does the work for cold and snow potential. The one common denominator is that 

we continue in an era of remarkable blocking patterns. The coast just needs one of these waves to get forced far enough south

under the Arctic high to produce snowfall like we saw in similar patterns in Dec 08 and 13 where the Pacific blocking dominated.

eps_epo_bias.png

gefs_epo_06.png

One thing of note .The SE ridge is not a killer . The center is not over the lakes .

SE ridging at 18k doesn't mean warm at 2M. 

You can see that in the 6z GEFS 16 day ensembles. 

Ridging at 18k feet .

N at 5k feet 

BN at 2M.

-EPO induced delivery of source regioned air. 

1 caveat though after the 20th and I posted 3 days ago I believed the ridge would pop we will need end up on the right side of the Barroclinic zone otherwise , it's cold, we cut again and the return flow is cold .

I believe -EPO patterns love to push HP through the lakes and we have seen its power over the past - years 

11 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

One thing of note .The SE ridge is not a killer . The center is not over the lakes .

SE ridging at 18k doesn't mean warm at 2M. 

You can see that in the 6z GEFS 16 day ensembles. 

Ridging at 18k feet .

N at 5k feet 

BN at 2M.

-EPO induced delivery of source regioned air. 

1 caveat though after the 20th and I posted 3 days ago I believed the ridge would pop we will need end up on the right side of the Barroclinic zone otherwise , it's cold, we cut again and the return flow is cold .

I believe -EPO patterns love to push HP through the lakes and we have seen its power over the past - years 

Yeah, it all comes down to where the baroclinic zone or gradient sets up as to how much snow potential any given storm can give the coast.

We can get lucky in this type of a pattern like we saw in December 2008 and 2013. We just can't handle the amplitude that we had with the

near record -AO patterns and storms in December 2009 and 2010 since it will pump the SE Ridge too much. A system ejecting from the SW

staying flatter with enough Arctic HP to the North is what we want to see.

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Definitely a shock to the system with the wind and artic air. We didn't have anything like this last December 

Yup - we didn't get this type weather until like the 1st week of Jan 2016 (which was also the first time KNYC dipped below 32 last winter, also insane).

18 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I'm up in the Poconos and it's 29 degrees with about an inch of frozen snow and ice in the woods and on my decks...What a difference 89 miles of driving makes...The snow cover started just before I reached the Delaware River in N.J....

Snow cover in Hunderton County Nj?

28 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

Temp starting to drop pretty quickly now in the park - we should still hit 32 before midnight.

These December first freezes are becoming more common for NYC. Similar to the the first below 20 readings in places like POU in December instead of November.  I believe the last time POU fell below 20 in October was 1988 just like the last October freeze for NYC.

Archived