• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Who wants to go on a road trip to Buffalo, NY for the weekend snowstorm they are expecting?  Anyone think it will be worth the drive to get there before the snow starts and witness it?

I'm pretty sure there's not much in the world that would get me to drive to Buffalo......

Also above normal Northwestern Atlantic Ocean, with SST anomalies more so pointed towards 68-70W longitude along 40N favor easterly tracking low pressure centers about 100 miles offshore.  This is the reasoning for why I think Cape Cod should be feeling super about their location with regards to winter storms and snowfall this winter.

55 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

1.25" here.   Lots of dead branches and dead trees around

I'm thinking hat amount I posted is bogus. Not my gauge.    I saw that on a FB from here in town, but no other report in the area came close.   My cheapo gauge had leaves in it so no report.   I'm thinking closer to 0.75"

40 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm pretty sure there's not much in the world that would get me to drive to Buffalo......

You must not like good chicken wings, real chicken wings. Not ones that are breaded with a cup of sauce on the side you guys in New England call wings. You must not like beef on weck sandwiches (roast beef on a kimmelweck roll). You must not have tried or even heard of a thing called sponge candy, and no it's not that sea salt- chocolate covered crap that they sell down in Newport or Cape Cod. You must not be Polish or like Polish food because you haven't had polish food until you come to Buffalo.You must not like beer because Buffalo is a drinking town with a sports problem. How do you think all us Bills fans can survive 16 (going on 17) years of no playoffs and almost 90" of snow in 3 days? And don't even get me started on the Sabres. All bullcrap aside Buffalo really is an awesome town. I grew up here and lived here for 20 years and couldn't wait to get the hell out and moved away. I lived in Rhode Island (which is a beautiful place btw) for 2 years while also traveling all over the country for work and visiting different cities. Every city has its good and bad and its own things that make it special and unique but to me none of them had what Buffalo had. We're a hard working, blue collar, extremely caring town. Don't get me wrong the city definitely has its rough spots, spots you wouldn't even want to drive through during the middle of the day, but the city has really built itself up a lot in the last 5-7 years (especially in the last 2-3 years). There's a great area downtown called canalside where there are several different attractions including an old naval ship and submarine that you can take a tour of, a boat tour of part of the Niagara River, Lake Erie, and the Erie Canal, a new huge state of the art center with 2 ice hockey rinks, training facility, and numerous stores. There's also several great resturaunts and pubs along with concession stands and other vendors. We have free concerts every Thursday night in he summer time here with the Lake Erie sunset in the background  (one of the only cities not on the West coast to be able to watch the sunset over water). We have enough awesome food trucks that line up during events to feed the entire US Army. We have some of the shortest commute times to and from work in the country and you'll hardly ever see a traffic jam. We have some of the most affordable housing in he country as well. Not many places can you buy a 4 bed 2 bath nicely remodeled 2000 sqft house for under $200,000. Oh and did I mention we average 100" of snow a year?! And that's just in Buffalo proper. Go literally 10-15 miles south and that average nearly doubles. Hamburg, NY just 9 miles south of Buffalo saw over 210" just a couple seasons ago (over 80" of that fell in 3 days in November!!). I could go on and on about the good things about Buffalo that no ones sees or knows and I can see why people who haven't been here ever or in the last few years can listen and buy into all the trash talk that the city gets, but come take a trip up here sometime and I promise you would be shocked at how much this city really has to offer. 

I used to do some work at my old company's office in Tonawanda, NY so I was in Buffalo quite a bit.   Some neat places with a distinct old school feel.   Best steak I ever ate was in a crusty old steakhouse (can't recall the name) in Buffalo.    Sometimes, depending on the wind, there would be a funky smell but I do have a soft spot in my heart for that area.

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I used to do some work at my old company's office in Tonawanda, NY so I was in Buffalo quite a bit.   Some neat places with a distinct old school feel.   Best steak I ever ate was in a crusty old steakhouse (can't recall the name) in Buffalo.    Sometimes, depending on the wind, there would be a funky smell but I do have a soft spot in my heart for that area.

Wow neat. Buffalo does have some pretty old sections and I feel like they're quite unique because it's almost a cross between a more midwestern city and an east coast city. That smell was probably either from the Cheerios factory in downtown Buffalo (but this smells heavenly, not really funky lol) or more likely from all the Pollution that came out of the Tonawanda Coke plant.

19 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

How torchy?  I don't mind the rain the GFS is showing (of course snow would be Nth times bestter), but I hate warm Thanksgivings.  Cold, raw, rain, snow are all better than warmth on turkey day in my opinion.

Depends on track. Euro would be colder with maybe wintry options. GFS now much warmer.  

Sipprell with snow and wind damage impacts Sun nite/ Mon!!

Could be contending with winter weather hazards in the form of snow.
Higher confidence over N/W portions of CT and MA at this time. As to
damaging winds, hazards seem more likely given the system undergoing
occlusion beneath a negative-tilted trough, drawing down colder air
rearward allowing for steep lapse rates possibly as high as H5-7.
Would be looking at all of S New England with regards to impacts.

Archived