• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We'll see how it plays out. The GFS has a pretty dry column both Fri and Sat yet a very shallow afternoon inversion. It won't take much mixing (even with a low sun) to push 70F in the warm spots. I could see MOS busting pretty hard. Even then it still has 62 and 64 for BDL Fri/Sat. Torch on.

I agree MOS is notoriously low in situations like this. I'd be very comfortable adding 5 F to both of those numbers. However, I do think southern Vermont, , w. MA and w. Connecticut will be warmer on Friday, relative to the eastern half of New England as the low level wind switches to more westerly/southwesterly by early afternoon for western areas, but takes until sunset for eastern sections.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Man Siberia....is epic cold. I suppose the massive Siberian HP can help disturb the vortex.....it's already weak anyways so that can only help. 

A large portion of Siberia may end up with their most negative departure month on record. The cold there is incredible and it's been there almost all month. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Did you read that somewhere? I was curious about how anomalous it was. 

Yeah I was reading about it yesterday. It's been crazy. 

I would think this is probably good news though for weakening stratospheric PV as you said. That is like a complete concrete dome over the region so anything will just ride over top of it and make it easier to assault the vortex up high. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oct was a front end thump, this is an ULL overhead.

I thought there was an initial warm with PF getting rain then 850's chilled underneath  followed by reorganization in the GOM with prolific upslope after?

Nope Edit I was thinking of something else, yes it was a sWFE type event then transitioned over to upslope, at any rate something to watch for you elevation guys

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I thought there was an initial warm with PF getting rain then 850's chilled underneath  followed by reorganization in the GOM with prolific upslope after?

Nope Edit I was thinking of something else, yes it was a sWFE type event then transitioned over to upslope, at any rate something to watch for you elevation guys

Yeah you are right on the top part for storm one.  That was deform and upslope combo after the upper level system got to our northeast and pivoted.    The CAA was from the SW to NE.  It was snowing in Snowshoe, WV before anywhere in NY/New England.  That was the one that left 11" at the Stake, the largest storm of 2016.

The bottom part of your post is the second snow event of October that spread snows to lower elevations and further south.  The first event set the table for the SWFE style WAA of the second event.  This event brought 7" to the picnic tables and was the system that bought DIT 2".

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

We always like when the ULL goes underneath :o

Archived