Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 27th to 29th vigorous Vort max Sn/Rn/wind

Ginx snewx

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I noticed GFL ASOS has had steady snow for the past 6-7 hours, including about 5 hours of vis not going above 1.5sm and most of that time under a mile.  Even some 1/4sm +SN.

Impressive to get 7 hours of steady daytime snow this time of year.

Yup it is holding steady at 33, all day today.  It's interesting how the climate changes from Glen's falls and North

Parents just lost power

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Around 3/4" of paste on grassy surfaces.  Driveway and walkway are slushy.  Evergreens are saggy baggy

Better than I expected 

Nice. You must have ripped for at least a little while. Nothing down on winter hill in terms of accumulations. Just some fat aggregates at times that didn't stick. 

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Definitely an overperformer today. All about intensity and that band that moved through between 2 and 4 definitely did it around Hartford.

I didn't think we'd have accumulation on the roads in the valley but that didn't work out. Oh well. 1.5" at BDL is definitely impressive!

Fantastic event. Good stuff today. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm a little bummed ORH didn't do better. I thought they would. But the dim sun, WAA just off the deck and lack of good lift until it was too late, did it. The meso analysis was cool. Coldest 925 temps were where best lift was. Warmer just east and west of this area. 

Yeah on dual pol you could see warming around 5,000 feet or so surge north around 18z around HFD and then as heavier echoes came in it quickly crashed back south. We were probably 0.5F away at 875mb from getting 0" at BDL! Through 18z BDL had nothing... they got all of that in about 90 minutes. 

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice. You must have ripped for at least a little while. Nothing down on winter hill in terms of accumulations. Just some fat aggregates at times that didn't stick. 

It didn't really start to do anything until sundown. Then we got huge aggregates (silver dolls sized) for awhile

If it flipped a little earlier it could have been sweet

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Dumping parachutes again. I may be able to tack on another .25" - .50" .

How often does the Pioneer Valley outperform ORH?

Lights have flickered a few time though...

I feel like you are far enough NW that even the lower elevations will beat ORH occasionally...especially with precip coming from the SW.  

The real question is how often does Tolland get 2" while Winter Hill struggles to get consistent flakes to the surface?  Kev's gotta be feeling good this evening haha.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I feel like you are far enough NW that even the lower elevations will beat ORH occasionally...especially with precip coming from the SW.  

The real question is how often does Tolland get 2" while Winter Hill struggles to get consistent flakes to the surface.

Very rarely. Usually if we get 1".. they get 2". If we get 6".. they get 10".. if we get 12".. they get 36"

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It didn't really start to do anything until sundown. Then we got huge aggregates (silver dolls sized) for awhile

If it flipped a little earlier it could have been sweet

Kidding with earlier post. I didn't expect it 5 hours later...lol. But, goes to show you how bad models are with torching lower 3000ft or so. All day to torch and you still had snow. Glad it was something.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The real question is how often does Tolland get 2" while Winter Hill struggles to get consistent flakes to the surface?  Kev's gotta be feeling good this evening haha.

I say all the time, I'll take swfe type events over coastals more often than not in the NW corner of MA.  I'm sure MPM and Lurker would agree. 

Speaking of MPM he hasn't posted, maybe no power?

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kidding with earlier post. I didn't expect it 5 hours later...lol. But, goes to show you how bad models are with torching lower 3000ft or so. All day to torch and you still had snow. Glad it was something.

Yeah.. Tippy, Will, and you caught that early AM.  That this would over perform  and cold was stronger than modeled and models playing catchup 

Archived