joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks to me that Matthew is turning extra tropical pretty quickly. That's not doing any favors for the poor souls under that death band of rain right on the coast.  There has to be some odd meteorological phenomena going on there.  It doesn't seem to be the eye wall or whatever was left of it. 

Back edge is almost to the NC/SC boarder, another 4-5 hrs of excessive rainfall for Raleigh but rates are starting to taper off from the west.  About 8hrs left here and unless something changes PGV proper should be under a foot.  I did take a drive about 30 minutes ago and saw DOT trucks with road closed signs in the back.  Will try to post some pics of the creek out back, highest it has been in a long time, tropical monsoon 4 or 5 years ago, but can't remember another time.  I was not here for Floyd, but neighbors said it was 6-7' below the house, which equates to 1 of our 2 acres under water, I would estimate about a 1/8 acre under water at the moment.

1 minute ago, SENC said:

From the NWS: The current water level at the downtown Wilmington NC tide gage is 7.76 ft. This is the 2nd highest level ever in history, just behind Hazel (8.15 ft) & currently is still rising..

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.html?id=8658120

They are behind. It is currently at 8.21 feet. Beating Hazel.

Models have excessive rainfall stopping around 10 or 11pm here, it should be pretty much steady from here on out looking at radar which is concerning.  Squalls nickeled and dimed us all morning, 12" seems like a reach but we should be good for 8-10".  Just to our SW, Smithfield, 16"+.  This is going to change the river forecasts as the the highest amounts are west of guidance, crests will be delayed and potentially higher than forecasted as all that water drains, my opinion but I am not an expert on eastern NC hydrology by any stretch .

Still looking rough over eastern NC I-95 to Hwy 17 later, if this actually happened it would be 70-80 mph gust so its gotta be over done....still looks like gust to 60 mph over a large area as the mixing layer works down as the low pulls out and the dry air works into the heavy rain shield..those light blue areas are 70 knts so 80 mph....thats silly. But the current map have the worst winds focused from RDU south thru Fayetteville into NE SC and I am seeing reports of 60+ mph wind gust there....

gust_t610m_f12.png

Archived