• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Matthew

NWNC2015

Most of my neighborhood here in the southpoint area of Durham is without power this evening since around 4pm. Ours came back on, but most streets still out. Rain has slacked but wind has been steady and guessing it might have picked up some...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry not legit enough for obvs (only sounds mildly windy now), but lost power near Southpoint mall in Durham about an hour ago now. Tons of sirens followed a few minutes later, so I'm guessing some traffic lights brought down as well. At least it's not hot.

9 minutes ago, Angela T said:

I am really surprised that the NHC still has Matt at a CAT 1 for the 8pm advisory. I really thought it would have been down graded at 5pm.

Might seem that way because of the visual structure, as Matt has started transition to extratropical. But it still meets criteria. By tomorrow it will likely be downgraded as it gets out beyond Hatteras. Although the gulf stream is out there and might aid it a bit.

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Matt turning a bit NE might make a run at Cape Lookout....HRRR takes it all the way to Hatteras before doing that little SE turn now.....

It does look like it is turning more NE and this will greatly slow the eastward progress of the heaviest rain... one of the reasons your area to NENC may experience high winds and heavy rain for quite several more hours

4 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Matt turning a bit NE might make a run at Cape Lookout....HRRR takes it all the way to Hatteras before doing that little SE turn now.....

I'd rather it not go any further north, but Matt sure seems determined. Raining moderate to heavy again here. The local station says about 4.5 inches, over 4 for the day. I suspect that might be low though.

2 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

I'd rather it not go any further north, but Matt sure seems determined. Raining moderate to heavy again here. The local station says about 4.5 inches, over 4 for the day. I suspect that might be low though.

I have 6.5 today so far, radar estimates are underdone with tropical systems and you can see the back edge actually pushing westward as Matt nudges a little more north

Think of the hit the infrastructure took today in NC, roads washed out, bridges damaged, the monetary totals will be staggering I'm sure

Just now, metwannabe said:

Think of the hit the infrastructure took today in NC, roads washed out, bridges damaged, the monetary totals will be staggering I'm sure

Maybe a good thing too? I visit Sanford, Oak Island, South Port, and man, a lot of the bridges and roads to and from need a do over even back to the Fayetteville area. Unfortunate loss to piers, houses, and businesses tho.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

What are power outage numbers down in SC & NC?   

Duke Energy up to 640k...add all the other smaller utilities around eastern NC and I bet its close to 750K in NC.....luckily I am not one of them despite several hrs of 55-60 mph gust....not sure on SC I think I saw close to 500k still without there, so over a million people in the Carolinas without power right now....big story though will be the coming days and the floods that are going to rival or exceed Floyd.

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

What are power outage numbers down in SC & NC?   

duke energy (NC) says 628k customers without power, SCE&G (SC) says 237k customers without power...I am not sure if there are additional power companies in south carolina.

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Duke Energy up to 640k...add all the other smaller utilities around eastern NC and I bet its close to 750K in NC.....luckily I am not one of them despite several hrs of 55-60 mph gust....not sure on SC I think I saw close to 500k still without there, so over a million people in the Carolinas without power right now....big story though will be the coming days and the floods that are going to rival or exceed Floyd.

3 minutes ago, e46and2 said:

duke energy (NC) says 628k customers without power, SCE&G (SC) says 237k customers without power...I am not sure if there are additional power companies in south carolina.

OK, thanks.  Definitely well over a million still w/o power then from FL to VA.  

I agree downeastnc, the epic flooding won't be understood until tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, yotaman said:

Curfew announced in Greenvile, NC. 9 pm to 7 am.

Winds have quickly ramped back up but the street flooding and idiots in cars has resulted in numerous swift water rescues, probably why they are trying to put the curfew in place.....I just had my best gust of the event easily 60-65 mph and the duration was beefy, probably backed off to 45 then back up to 65 lasted well over a minute....

Fire blazing in Cherry Grove, SC and winds gusting to 60 mph are only making it worse. 6 structures burned so far and fire fighters can't put up their ladders up until the winds die down to 35 mph. Bad situation unfolding in Myrtle Beach. These winds appear to have a few hours until they die down and fire fighters can't even spray it with water because they chief says the wind just blows the water away.

1 minute ago, Hvward said:

Fire blazing in Cherry Grove, SC and winds gusting to 60 mph are only making it worse. 6 structures burned so far and fire fighters can't put up their ladders up until the winds die down to 35 mph. Bad situation unfolding in Myrtle Beach. These winds appear to have a few hours until they die down and they can't even spray it with water because they chief says the wind just blows the water away.

Yeah, just linked that above your post.  Crazy. 

5 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Fire blazing in Cherry Grove, SC and winds gusting to 60 mph are only making it worse. 6 structures burned so far and fire fighters can't put up their ladders up until the winds die down to 35 mph. Bad situation unfolding in Myrtle Beach. These winds appear to have a few hours until they die down and they can't even spray it with water because they chief says the wind just blows the water away.

Video and photos here.

http://wbtw.com/2016/10/08/crews-respond-to-cherry-grove-fire/

Wral is streaming some decent coverage of the news.  http://www.wral.com/

Interesting to see such significant effects in Raleigh and also some significant ones across the Triangle with localized flooding, water rescues, trees and power down.  Definitely more than folks were expecting here.  

Fayetteville http://www.wral.com/news/video/16098881/

I-95 Fayetteville http://www.wral.com/weather/hurricanes/video/16097721/

Archived