joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Matthew left something in Florida. Florida hasn't been hit with a major hurricane in 11 years. 00Z GFS  wants to change that and make it two major hurricanes in a few days by the same storm. That run was the most insane run I have seen.

Also, can't forget about Nicole dancing around as well.

14 minutes ago, metalicwx366 said:

Apparently Matthew left something in Florida. Florida hasn't been hit with a major hurricane in 11 years. 00Z GFS  wants to change that and make it two major hurricanes in a few days by the same storm. That run was the most insane run I have seen.

I do not think I've ever seen a run like that, where it looped a storm all the way around back over the same area. But if that Bermuda high hangs around there, its rotation could spin Matthew right back around like that. That would not be a good thing!

5 hours ago, metalicwx366 said:

Fujiwhara effect.

trends are def encouraging for sc, but it is a really tough forecast.  could easily see models shift back to the landfall they were showing 48hrs ago.  i think you still have to go fwd with the evacs because all it takes is a 50-75mile shift west to put the sc coast back in harms way.

The trough has to wash out for the Euro/GFS solution to work...the CMC and NAM both hold the trough deeper so they are able to move up the coast, there are some pretty big timing differences between the CMC and Euro/GFS. The 00Z Euro at 24 hrs ( 00Z Thur really) has it here

ecmwf_T850_seus_2.png

This is where it is now...so to my eye it looks fast, the Euro has it around 23N by 7pm, if by this evening its further NE than the forecast points then I would worry more for the SC/NC coast

avn0-lalo.gif

15 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

The trough has to wash out for the Euro/GFS solution to work...the CMC and NAM both hold the trough deeper so they are able to move up the coast, there are some pretty big timing differences between the CMC and Euro/GFS. The 00Z Euro at 24 hrs ( 00Z Thur really) has it here

This is where it is now...so to my eye it looks fast, the Euro has it around 23N by 7pm, if by this evening its further NE than the forecast points then I would worry more for the SC/NC coast

looks like he is making his way nw at a decent clip.  will be interested to see the 18z/00z runs tonight now that he is clear from cuba and in open water.  may not make a difference but the fwd speed will be vital. 

and that convection west of the core really is popping this morning, should see a sig ramp up today.

mathew11.gif

19 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

trends are def encouraging for sc, but it is a really tough forecast.  could easily see models shift back to the landfall they were showing 48hrs ago.  i think you still have to go fwd with the evacs because all it takes is a 50-75mile shift west to put the sc coast back in harms way.

Flooding still could be really bad and is modeled that way for coastal SC. 

Just now, DopplerWx said:

looks like he is making his way nw at a decent clip.  will be interested to see the 18z/00z runs tonight now that he is clear from cuba and in open water.  may not make a difference but the fwd speed will be vital.

mathew11.gif

Yeah I mean maybe its wrong to assume anything by it, but if the models that get close to Fl and then loop are all slow and he is moving faster and that puts him closer to the CMC/NAM plots one would think maybe they have a better read on the trough and ridge.....I just don't want the NC folks to let their guard down yet...the RGEM run is what we need to see verify to put NC back in play...its much stronger with the trough...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=rgem&region=us&pkg=mslp_uv850&runtime=2016100506&fh=6&xpos=0&ypos=66

35 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

and that convection west of the core really is popping this morning, should see a sig ramp up today.

I'm a bit confused why they don't have him intensifying more than they do since shear is expected to actually decrease to next to nothing and he's over 30c waters for the next few days. I wouldn't be shocked that once it brushes off the effects of land interaction we see another large increase in intensity the next 24 hours. 

27 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah I mean maybe its wrong to assume anything by it, but if the models that get close to Fl and then loop are all slow and he is moving faster and that puts him closer to the CMC/NAM plots one would think maybe they have a better read on the trough and ridge.....I just don't want the NC folks to let their guard down yet...the RGEM run is what we need to see verify to put NC back in play...its much stronger with the trough...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=rgem&region=us&pkg=mslp_uv850&runtime=2016100506&fh=6&xpos=0&ypos=66

FWIW, over the past couple of days all the models have been underestimating the observed strength of the ridge/heights off the east coast, with the nam being the most off.  So I would be a little surprised if it ends up being more right with the track.

At this point, I have to think the euro and uk are the ones to follow the most..they have been the most consistent and have lead the way on these trends while all the other models have been playing catchup. Hard to believe we could be looking at a second florida landfall by mathew in a week's time and beyond. Of course the question is strength but the gfs seems to suggest it could still be a cane by then. Wild stuff regardless of however strong or weak it is.

For those interested, the second press conference with the SC governor is starting up.

In her words, due to the slowing of the storm Charleston and Beaufort are going to proceed with recommended evacuation at 3. More northeastward counties will start tomorrow morning. Lanes on I-26 / 526 being reversed at 3, busses arriving in North Charleston to take people to Greenville at noon. She recommends traveling past Columbia due to a shortage of hotel rooms.

The danger has leasended for North Carolina but increased for FL and GA.  The imby nature of the recents posts would allow one to let their guard down when in reality the danger is going up for a lot of folks 

Agreed. This is a dangerous system for people on east coast of FL and could cause significant damage. Over the past few days the threat in FL has increased greatly. Models will continue to adjust because there are sooo many variables that are having an effect on Matthew's track. I have a feeling we will continue to see variation in the track and wouldn't be surprised to see models trend back to an SC/NC landfall. We are 2.5 days out from this system reaching SC. 3-4 model runs ago the consensus was that it would likely miss the FL coast, but since then the models have deviated. Whats to say they don't have the track wrong now?

5 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Agreed. This is a dangerous system for people on east coast of FL and could cause significant damage. Over the past few days the threat in FL has increased greatly. Models will continue to adjust because there are sooo many variables that are having an effect on Matthew's track. I have a feeling we will continue to see variation in the track and wouldn't be surprised to see models trend back to an SC/NC landfall. We are 2.5 days out from this system reaching SC. 3-4 model runs ago the consensus was that it would likely miss the FL coast, but since then the models have deviated. Whats to say they don't have the track wrong now?

This has been going back and forth for several days. From staying off shore, to hitting NC, to hitting Florida. Still nothing set in stone to where Matthew will or won't go. It's still very much in the air.

3 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

This has been going back and forth for several days. From staying off shore, to hitting NC, to hitting Florida. Still nothing set in stone to where Matthew will or won't go. It's still very much in the air.

Please stop posting....just stop.......I'm tired of reading the same comments from you in all of the Matthew threads. Enough already

Archived