Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

8 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Thanks guys!  Yep, just edited my post above.  Also, the TS force wind probs declined from around 40% in the Triangle to about 10-20%.  It's all just noise at this point anyway, really.

Yeah, seems to me the latest trends look bad for FL/GA, but better for NC/SC (particularly inland).  We shall see.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT14/refresh/AL1416W5_NL+gif/153536W5_NL_sm.gif

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Avdave said:

Really keeps the eye right off the East coast of FLA so far on this 18z gfs run. I mean right on the coastline. wow

Yeah the storm would be weakened a lot with half of it over land for days like that......even if that land is Florida.....is gonna go east again I bet its to slow and the trough isn't digging fast enough to pull it north

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah the storm would be weakened a lot with half of it over land for days like that......even if that land is Florida.....is gonna go east again I bet its to slow and the trough isn't digging fast enough to pull it north

Still not that bad at 982mb but yes weaker. Will be interesting when 0z rolls out to see if there is similarities or changes like the 12z Euro which was a wacky run

So really for this latest GFS  to be right it HAS to hug the coast perfectly like that, this "slows" the storm down enough to prevent it from coming in further north, it spends time moving west instead of north.....and its why the earlier runs and the NAM are "faster" they don't hug the coast and move more in a straight line getting to the SC/NC border before the trough can shove it east...the key is why do the models come so far west....the weaker trough lets the ridge push the storm more west and less north I guess....so in the last 24 hrs its gone from hitting Myrtle/Southport to racking FL to SC then exiting stage right before NC...

2 minutes ago, J.C. said:

I feel like the GFS has been pretty consistent over the past few runs with its track up to around Sunday.  At hour 90, that could be doing some major damage near Charleston, and of course more rain where they've had it over the past couple of months.

Yeah, a lot of people will poo-poo this run, but Hilton Head and Charleston get smashed. Even 50 miles inland, you'll see tons of tree damage, probably. 

1 minute ago, Hugo said:

Yeah, a lot of people will poo-poo this run, but Hilton Head and Charleston get smashed. Even 50 miles inland, you'll see tons of tree damage, probably. 

just look how big matthew is now, after its strengthens in the bahamas it will be massive. even skirting the coast will cause major impacts inland sc.

I'm starting to wonder if we're heading towards a central FLA landfall solution. The main reason we're seeing the swings in the models is b/c they are weakening the incoming trough and it's showing up as being less amplified. This is why the euro left Matthew behind. If this trend continues its eventually going to just ram into florida. Tonights runs will be critical w/ fresh data. Another scenario we haven't seen yet is the hurricane making landfall in the savannah area and then meandering around in eastern GA/SC for days. 

9 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

[reaching]Maybe the energy associated with the trough is not on the grid yet? [/reaching]

Its there but the trend is to weaken it, this might not be what really happens or the storm may be faster than forecast....there are still lots of stuff going on the speed of the storm north will be the biggest factor IMO, if its slow the ridge will be able to shove it west more, if its faster then it wont move as much west and thus make it farther north....the models are liable to change again after the 00Z tonight....fresh data will give it a idea of how strong the trough is etc....

Archived