Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

11 minutes ago, Hugo said:

I think he was saying  65-mile margin or error 4 days out is a tiny area.  But as someone who's watched these models for 20 years, with MB seeming to be the sweet spot at this point in the game, I'd be extremely surprised to actually see it landfall there.  Not to mention, with the angle it's coming in, it takes only a jog to make a big difference in landfall spot.  Anybody who names the precise landfall spot this far out and gets it right can credit nothing more than luck.  

That's fine, luck has a lot to do with more stuff than most people know. I though he was giving me a hard time for such a large area. I have no problem being wrong and for my family and other people on the coast I hope I am wrong. 

I'm uneducated and have no experience other than my own interest and self learning. I'm kind of hybrid using the Hazel path and current models. I'm interested in the next runs though. Not wishcasting either. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stump said:

That's fine, luck has a lot to do with more stuff than most people know. I though he was giving me a hard time for such a large area. I have no problem being wrong and for my family and other people on the coast I hope I am wrong. 

I'm uneducated and have no experience other than my own interest and self learning. I'm kind of hybrid using the Hazel path and current models. I'm interested in the next runs though. Not wishcasting either. 

That's cool and I'll come back to high five you if you get it right.  Even luck earns bragging rights. 

One thing to keep it mind with this storm is the angle relative to the coast.  With a lot of gulf coast storms, you have the hurricane coming in perpendicular to the coast.  If the storm wobbles 20 miles east, the landfall spot moves 20 miles east.  On the SE coast, storms are often coming in at a sharp angle (some like Hugo are an exception).  But Matthew looks like it will be coming in at an exceptionally sharp angle, even by east coast standards.  So if it wobbles 20 miles east as it's coming in, it could shift landfall 100 miles north.  Pinpointing landfall will probably be extra tricky. 

That increased margin of error is the reason these east coast storms can have such massive evacuations, too.  The evacuations for Floyd were incredible. 

24 minutes ago, Hugo said:

That's cool and I'll come back to high five you if you get it right.  Even luck earns bragging rights. 

One thing to keep it mind with this storm is the angle relative to the coast.  With a lot of gulf coast storms, you have the hurricane coming in perpendicular to the coast.  If the storm wobbles 20 miles east, the landfall spot moves 20 miles east.  On the SE coast, storms are often coming in at a sharp angle (some like Hugo are an exception).  But Matthew looks like it will be coming in at an exceptionally sharp angle, even by east coast standards.  So if it wobbles 20 miles east as it's coming in, it could shift landfall 100 miles north.  Pinpointing landfall will probably be extra tricky. 

That increased margin of error is the reason these east coast storms can have such massive evacuations, too.  The evacuations for Floyd were incredible. 

Not to mention it could drag the western side of the eye along a very large stretch of coast before the right side hits anywhere.....typically the hugging the coast tracks end up being a bit to far west and the storms seem to stay just far enough off to keep the inner core offshore at least till it gets up near Myrtle when the coast really starts running east.....either way Charleston to MHX still look to be best bet to get the eye actually onshore....

2 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

I wonder if it could bring a tornado threat further inland once it reaches the coast.

Pick a thread Brick.  For two days I have been reading everything you post twice.  Either post your info and questions in here or in the main tropical thread.  No need to double post everything.

8 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

105 mph strong Cat 2...that track is a decent hit IMBY......totally would wreck Emerald Isle to Nags Head/KDH

It would wipe out tons of homes around North Myrtle Beach.  That area is densely populated with 50+ year old homes that already flood during bad thunderstorms and are only on one level of stilts. And those aren't just vacation homes.  A lot of them are primary residences. 

1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

I thought it would stay stronger than that once it gets in open water.

SST's aren't as warm, although still warm enough, but shear will be a problem once it gets past 28N give or take.  Also, interesting to see how weak it gets the next 24 hours due to land interaction with Cuba.

4 minutes ago, Hugo said:

It would wipe out tons of homes around North Myrtle Beach.  That area is densely populated with 50+ year old homes that already flood during bad thunderstorms and are only on one level of stilts. And those aren't just vacation homes.  A lot of them are primary residences. 

I know where your talking about, figure 6-8 foot surge there maybe more if its still a big storm, then I haven't even looked at tides but the new moon was Sat so no new or full moon will help....

Wanting to throw this out there for the laughs.

My mother in law called asking if their trip from New Bern, NC to Savannah, GA would be affected by the storm. 

I think they may need to start being a little more stern with their words on the Lunchtime news today. 

Edit: Sorry if this is off topic...

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

SST's aren't as warm, although still warm enough, but shear will be a problem once it gets past 28N give or take.  Also, interesting to see how weak it gets the next 24 hours due to land interaction with Cuba.

Yes, the pressure jumped up 17 points with Haiti's interaction.  Let's see where it stands after cuba.

1 minute ago, downeastnc said:

I know where your talking about, figure 6-8 foot surge there maybe more if its still a big storm, then I haven't even looked at tides but the new moon was Sat so no new or full moon will help....

I would expect if tonights 0z runs still show same tracks your going to see I-95 a parking lot come Thursday.

Just now, FallsLake said:

There's other environmental considerations to take into account. Once this storm nears NC it will start converting to extratropical; that will dampen the speed in itself.    

I think people need to keep perspective about this.  A borderline 2/3 at the NC/SC border is a big deal.  

6 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Not that it means anything now, but taking the NHC forecast verbatim, the storm comes in at low tide. 

1 minute ago, Hugo said:

I think people need to keep perspective about this.  A borderline 2/3 at the NC/SC border is a big deal.  

Most definitely. This will be a large storm as well. And as stated above as it becomes extratropical, more precip may shift westward. If this is slow as pack mentioned flooding may be the biggest worry.

6 minutes ago, Hugo said:

Yeah could be biggest since Fran for Myrtle over to ILM, this thing is 125 one plot before the 105 mph landfall.....so the beaches could easily see gust 120+, so as bad as the surge is that kind of wind in of itself will do a lot of damage. Edit to add I am grateful this appears as a daytime hit, these things suck in the dark....

Damn after looking at the runs and data and latest info, now Im very concerned about our place in Kitty Hawk. Not so much wrt flooding as we are on the highest point on the island. More concerned about wind and power outages there which is likely. Not even sure if we will head out there Thursday after all. This is a pretty damn serious situation from SAV to ORF now.

Archived