joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike, hope you picked up your canned spaghetti tonight.  Feel like the media will have a hay-day with this by morning for your area.   Even here in Columbia, they have been pushing a slight narrative.

UKMET is trying to agree already.

Edit:  Not that 00z GFS will happen.  But you know how it goes.

GFS is forecasting a cutoff ULL to slide down into the NW carib.  Actually that feature was on some of the models a couple days ago but I believe moving SW.  If it in fact does come to fruition it will provide enough influence to bend the storm back to the west even more.  Have to watch this feature see how/if it  develops, especially if it cuts off.

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Mike, hope you picked up your canned spaghetti tonight.  Feel like the media will have a hay-day with this by morning for your area.   Even here in Columbia, they have been pushing a slight narrative.

UKMET is trying to agree already.

Edit:  Not that 00z GFS will happen.  But you know how it goes.

Yeah I will be canned goods hunting and what not tomorrow for sure now.  The very thing I've feared with seasonal trends had shown up again...but this tropical cyclone means business.

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

GFS is forecasting a cutoff ULL to slide down into the NW carib.  Actually that feature was on some of the models a couple days ago but I believe moving SW.  If it in fact does come to fruition it will provide enough influence to bend the storm back to the west even more.  Have to watch this feature see how/if it  develops, especially if it cuts off.

It's actually the trough that ends up splitting with a piece cutting off in the Eastern GOM.  which pulls Matthew right back NW towards the SE.

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Not looking good for CHS.  I'll just put it that way. :/

Yesterday's trip to Sam's looks like it was a good idea. Today will be interesting for sure, I'm supposed to close on the sale of a historic house in downtown CHS today. I'll be very glad once that paperwork is signed!

Surge is something I'm going to be interested in, our place is close to downtown and about a foot above base flood elevation.

Here's a good write up from RAH. Notice the mention of higher precip amounts NW of the storm as it loses tropical characteristics:

Latest model guidance continues to shift the track of Hurricane
Matthew further to west, and closer to Southeast U.S. coast. The
eventual track of Matthew will depend upon two elements: 1.) the
strength of the upper level ridge to its north; and 2.) the speed
and strength/amplitude of an upper level trough approaching from the
nw. While timing differences remain with the ECMWF still slower than
the GFS, the differences have narrowed compared to the last 24 hours.
Based on this current track, may see areas of rain associated with
Matthew begin to move into southern sections of central NC Friday
afternoon into Friday night.

The approach of the upper level trough will play a role in Matthew
transitioning from a purely tropical system to an extratropical
system. During this transition, we normally see a band of heavier
precip develop to the nw of the center. Based on the model trend,
this band of heavier precip may develop over sections of central NC,
possibly as far west as the nw Piedmont. Will increase PoPs from
previous forecast Friday night-Saturday night, but refrain from
increasing PoPs to likely over the southeast half of central NC
since we have plenty of time to increase PoPs based on future model
runs. In addition, have increased nly winds late Friday through
Saturday night with the apparent closer approach of Matthew, with
the main adjustment over sections of the Sandhills and the Coastal
Plain.

6z GFS and 0z Euro both show landfall around Southport, NC right at the mouth of the Cape Fear. GFS has a 985mb low whereas the Euro has Matthew around 950mb at landfall. Euro brings landfall around 9-12 hrs after GFS with a weaker trough. Euro also develops a TD to the SE of Matthew. That will likely help push Matthew ashore along with ridging over New England.

1 hour ago, Hvward said:

6z GFS and 0z Euro both show landfall around Southport, NC right at the mouth of the Cape Fear. GFS has a 985mb low whereas the Euro has Matthew around 950mb at landfall. Euro brings landfall around 9-12 hrs after GFS with a weaker trough. Euro also develops a TD to the SE of Matthew. That will likely help push Matthew ashore along with ridging over New England.

06Z GFS and the 00Z CMC both put MBY within 30 miles or so of the center.....startingto get real now....I got a lot to do,  and I work 12 hrs a day through Thurs so it will be Friday before I can get started putting everything away. The upside is I got no trees in my yard, the down side is no trees means nothing to slow the winds.....but I do got a new Kestrel I need to try out :) 

11 minutes ago, packbacker said:

6z HWRF keeps shifting west with each run.  Tracks it right up through RDU.  Seems unlikely though.

While not impossible that track just for whatever reason never seems to happen, almost every storm that has hit in my life time has been forecast to hit between Charleston and Myrtle an they always end up hitting SC/NC border....it would be a tough hit for you guys, should be good enough for some 60-70mph gust probably in the Triangle if it panned out....

06Z GFS and the 00Z CMC both put MBY within 30 miles or so of the center.....startingto get real now....I got a lot to do,  and I work 12 hrs a day through Thurs so it will be Friday before I can get started putting everything away. The upside is I got no trees in my yard, the down side is no trees means nothing to slow the winds.....but I do got a new Kestrel I need to try out  

Not a bad silver lining from a data standpoint! I am curious as to whether we see a more eastern adjustment today on the models or if they stay the course. I am just glad that people seem to be preparing for the storm.

1 hour ago, Hvward said:

GFS is actually ~935 mb at landfall on the full res run.

3 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Not a bad silver lining from a data standpoint! I am curious as to whether we see a more eastern adjustment today on the models or if they stay the course. I am just glad that people seem to be preparing for the storm.

People are prepping here already, water and charcoal, batteries etc....I will by a bunch of steaks and toss them in the deep freeze in the garage Friday :)

The upside too is the weather after the storm looks wonderful so unlike Floyd, Irene etc if I got to go a week without power at least its COC weather......not 90+ day on end....

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

That would be lowest ever for a NC landfall, I don't buy it I will be surprised if it is sub 950MB even.....

agree, esp if it hugs fl.  but if it takes a mor euro-ish track and can stay a but offshore it will have plenty of juice and time to strengthen. 

Archived