Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

If it should happen to come in anywhere along the SC coast south of Myrtle you won't get anywhere near the coast, especially a 4 or 5.  I was a system admin for the city of Charleston and the evac procedures will stop anyone from coming into Charleston county.  They take it very seriously after the Hugo fiasco.  Plus 17 south of Georgetown all the way to Savannah is nearly non accessible during mandatory evacs for cat 3 or higher storm.  There are very few roads to get people off of the coast in that stretch and they will take priority.  Either get on beach early and grab your balls or stay away if it comes in down there.  It will be a mess.

All the evacuation zones will probably be used. Almost the entire county would be evacuated if this materializes like it is. 

If it should happen to come in anywhere along the SC coast south of Myrtle you won't get anywhere near the coast, especially a 4 or 5.  I was a system admin for the city of Charleston and the evac procedures will stop anyone from coming into Charleston county.  They take it very seriously after the Hugo fiasco.  Plus 17 south of Georgetown all the way to Savannah is nearly non accessible during mandatory evacs for cat 3 or higher storm.  There are very few roads to get people off of the coast in that stretch and they will take priority.  Either get on beach early and grab your balls or stay away if it comes in down there.  It will be a mess.

Thanks for the info! I have family in Charleston, but for some reason to me that area never was really appealing for a chase. I am going to try and stay in NC because I have a chance to travel along with the NC swift water rescue crew, so that would be interesting. Hopefully it pans out.

8 minutes ago, packbacker said:

FWIW the 12z Euro run was closer to making landfall and gained more latitude then the 0z run.  See what tomorrows runs show, still 5 days out.

The reason the Euro isn't hitting is its slower.....if it was faster it would get north and hit NC before the trough nudges I east....still at 5pm the NHC is gonna pretty much have to put a dot somewhere on the NC coast or just south of it......

6 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Thanks for the info! I have family in Charleston, but for some reason to me that area never was really appealing for a chase. I am going to try and stay in NC because I have a chance to travel along with the NC swift water rescue crew, so that would be interesting. Hopefully it pans out.

Getting out of ILM and or Jacksonville shouldn't be a huge issue.....I would say try hotels in Greenville but if this thing looks to hit still on Wed they will fill up since the folks that live on the beaches come stay here so they can get home quicker.....same will go for ILM and Jville the hotels will fill up quick once they think it is coming in especially if its a Cat 3.

6 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

The reason the Euro isn't hitting is its slower.....if it was faster it would get north and hit NC before the trough nudges I east....still at 5pm the NHC is gonna pretty much have to put a dot somewhere on the NC coast or just south of it......

Problem is the ridge it builds NW of it's path and the CMC/GFS have a trough there.  It did get more troughy then it's 0z run, and it gained more latitude so theres that.  UK must be similar to the GFS/CMC.

Below is all 3 globals.  If that trough would dig deeper it would get ugly, but nothing is showing that.

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 2.46.30 PM.png

Getting out of ILM and or Jacksonville shouldn't be a huge issue.....I would say try hotels in Greenville but if this thing looks to hit still on Wed they will fill up since the folks that live on the beaches come stay here so they can get home quicker.....same will go for ILM and Jville the hotels will fill up quick once they think it is coming in especially if its a Cat 3.

Good advice thanks Downeast. Not sure if I will get a hotel or not this time. One of my teachers during Met school used to say that he liked chasing from his car in a parking deck with a good bit of food and water on hand, but a hotel seems nice because it would have a bathroom lol.

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi  31m31 minutes ago Pennsylvania, USA

remember very hard to bring a slow moving hurricane ashore if moving slow tend to stay offshore

crankyweatherguy ‏@crankywxguy  27m27 minutes ago

These pieces play into Matthew's eventual east US/west ATL steering and/or capture. It's a long distance away to "trust" modeled solutions.

Ct3QUIYWcAAgoNm.jpg

3 minutes ago, jburns said:

McCrory has declared a state of emergency in 66 NC counties.  Nothing like jumping the gun.

Here's the reason:

"Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler asked for the declaration, McCrory said, so farmers could speed up their harvesting in the coming days. The declaration, which covers 66 counties in the central and eastern parts of the state, will lift restrictions on the loads agricultural trucks can carry and the hours they can operate.

"Already, many crops are destroyed due to previous storms and previous floods that we've had during the past 10 days," the governor said. "We don't want to have other crops ruined for the year."

Archived