Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

You would think it would be weakening a lot on that track though...looks like a just off shore miss this run

very very close though. and a 4+ days out a swing either way will be huge.  coast will have to prep as if it makes landfall if these runs hold through tomorrow. 

makes sense though the faster the storm the further N it gets before being bumped east....so the slower runs get bumped offshore so the question is which scenario makes more sense....slow or fast...any mets wanna chime in...to me the strength of the ridge east of the storm and the trough west of him should squeeze him enough to get him moving pretty good.....

12z UK has it making landfall near jacksonville or southern ga coast moves into se ga and southern sc then it misses the trough and moves back south...much like a few of the ensembles...that would be wild

Edit..just to add...part of the reason is the uk weakens it a lot over land and makes it a much shallower system which I'm sure is part of the reason it turns back south.

4 minutes ago, Lookout said:

12z UK has it making landfall near jacksonville or southern ga coast moves into se ga and southern sc then it misses the trough and moves back south...much like a few of the ensembles...that would be wild

That was a wild run by the UK, looks like it rots away over the Carolina's.  Looks like it doesn't allow the ridge to be weakened or pushed east like the GFS shows.

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 12.44.53 PM.png

Both GFS and CMC bump east so whats the over/under on Euro that was just offshore last night at 0Z showing NC/SC border landfall this time around......seriously though its nuts what a diffence of 6-8 hrs does on these runs when it comes to the forward speed of Matt.....that the difference between skirting the SE coast and land falling SC/NC border.....

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

That was a wild run by the UK, looks like it rots away over the Carolina's.  Looks like it doesn't allow the ridge to be weakened or pushed east like the GFS shows.

Yeah I just edited to add it weakens a lot over land before moving back out to sea. Other models keep it off shore and much deeper so the trough catches it.  Its an interesting scenerio and something to watch out for if it actually makes landfall in florida and weakens.

4 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Yeah I just edited to add it weakens a lot over land before moving back out to sea. Other models keep it off shore and much deeper so the trough catches it.  Its an interesting scenerio and something to watch out for if it actually makes landfall in florida and weakens.

12z GEFS mean is east of the Op, we will find out in an hour if this is a start of a east trend.

26 minutes ago, packbacker said:

12z GEFS mean is east of the Op, we will find out in an hour if this is a start of a east trend.

12z canadian is essentially unchanged it looks like...maybe a hair further west near the ga/carolina coast but it's so tiny it's just noise. 

16 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Looks like the mean rides up the coast from GA/SC all the way up the entire NC coast and never gets inland. That would be wild to ride up the coast that long.

Like I said earlier, if he takes this sort of track it's really going to cause a monster amount of chaos. The only saving grace would be if it does weaken a good bit but if it somehow manages to stay a cat 3 most of the way...its going to be really something in terms of evacuations and so forth. It's pretty crazy to think about just how   huge a difference the tiniest change means for  such a large area..and the overall future of the system itself.   Unfortunately that means that there is a high risk that it could be a PR problem for the nws and local officials..since even the tiniest shift east will make a huge difference in terms of conditions on the coast. And no doubt we will hear a lot of people claiming the "weather service/nhc was horrible" "all hype and no bite again", etc. I don't envy those in positions of forecasting this one. 

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

12z canadian is essentially unchanged it looks like...maybe a hair further west near the ga/carolina coast but it's so tiny it's just noise. 

Like I said earlier, if he takes this sort of track it's really going to cause a monster amount of chaos. The only saving grace would be if it does weaken a good bit but if it somehow manages to stay a cat 3 most of the way...its going to be really something in terms of evacuations and so forth. It's pretty Wild to think about how little the tiniest change in track means such a huge difference over such a large area. Unfortunately that means that there is a high risk that it could be a PR problem for the nws and local officials..since even the tiniest shift east will make a huge difference in terms of conditions on the coast. And no doubt we will hear a lot of people claiming the "weather service/nhc was horrible" "all hype and no bite again", etc. I don't envy those in positions of forecasting this one. 

I think that could be worse for the coast as a whole than if it just took a direct hit somewhere and moved inland.

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Spread between members increased too, past couple of runs were relatively tight.

gfdl shifted west initially and makes landfall in florida but ends up further east it looks like later on. Some mixed signals today. 

gfdl_mslp_wind_14L_15.png

gfdl_mslp_wind_14L_21.png

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

gfdl shifted west initially and makes landfall in florida but ends up further east it looks like later on. Some mixed signals today. 

Was just looking at that, smacks Boca.  So far, more spread today.   UK is similar, it just makes landfall further south.

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 1.36.31 PM.png

Archived