SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would imagine this is very close to the entire Georgia coastline without power, given the small size of the coastline and population density.

Active Outages: 1,187
Affected Customers: 130,129

nearly all of the "affected customers" are along the coast.

9 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

It might not have been the absolute worst case scenario for the FL coast in the end but it was still a pretty darn lousy one. I personally think given the track that Matthew ended up taking (and is still taking staying just offshore with the eyewall for now) that the restructuring and subsequent spreading out of the wind field made for a higher impact on the Fl coast than if it would've been the more compact structure with the very high winds. We're really not going to see much of what happened in the northern half of the Florida coast where the center passed the closest until probably tomorrow and Sunday when the storm is all the way out of there... then we'll see how much of a "bust" it was. 

That's just Florida, obviously it is currently lashing SE GA into SC and I'm more than mildly concerned about the potential impacts from flooding and storm surge in those very vulnerable areas like Savannah and Charleston, where near term guidance is pretty insistent on at least scraping the SC coast with the center. Radar trends had shown a bit of a turn but the motion still looks mainly northerly. This thing might finally be heading toward an official CONUS landfall.  Matthew is also dumping tremendous rainfall inland in GA/SC and getting into NC and inland flooding is likely to become a big issue. The OBX and even the Chesapeake region of SE VA have quietly been getting back into the fold of possibly seeing more significant impacts in the form of the heavy rain and stronger easterly winds that might make for coastal flooding issues all the way up there. 

Great post, and I too think the rainfall is a much overlooked aspect of this storm. 

The spreading eyewall was something else that was easily over looked by the intensity junkies.  It's kind of a slow creep storm surge that won't be historic but will still cause a lot of hardship.

This will actually end up being quite a costly storm due to the huge spread of impacted areas. 

4 minutes ago, e46and2 said:

i would imagine this is very close to the entire Georgia coastline without power, given the small size of the coastline and population density.

Active Outages: 1,187
Affected Customers: 130,129

nearly all of the "affected customers" are along the coast.

Should be somewhere in the 1.5 million range w/o power between FL and NC by tomorrow morning. 

Great post, and I too think the rainfall is a much overlooked aspect of this storm. 

The spreading eyewall was something else that was easily over looked by the intensity junkies.  It's kind of a slow creep storm surge that won't be historic but will still cause a lot of hardship.

This will actually end up being quite a costly storm due to the huge spread of impacted areas. 

I know this is not the track but it is within the cone but..... the storm surge could be historic if this landfalls at Hilton Head or to the south from what I'm seeing. The SLOSH model would bring very high inundation levels.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

the reliable models have done an outstanding job with this storm for the past several days- i think many including myself found it hard to believe that the storm would follow the coastline, but indeed it has, hats off to modern forecasting give or take 10 or 15 miles lol....seriously, great job, taking a step back, they nailed this.

things also looking very bleak for south carolina and georgia.  the disaster that all the 'epic folks' have been looking for looks to be unfolding there very possibly tonite.

I said last night I think it wouldn't make landfall in FL, I think now it'll have to make a pretty hard turn right soon to not make landfall in SC, and it's very likely the eyewall makes it onshore. Charleston's in for a world of hurt early tomorrow morning, especially if the center can make it to the west of there and drive winds onshore. The models turn it right very soon, hopefully for their sake we see that happen. 

37 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Quite ironic that media hyperbole turned out to be overdone for Florida but many of the broadcasts I've watched the past hour seem to be quite underdone for GA and SC.  

Probably because of what happened with a certain presidential candidate today... 

6 minutes ago, sctvman said:

Probably because of what happened with a certain presidential candidate today... 

Come morning that'll all be old news, after damage is revealed/known in FL/GA/SC.  Nonethless, the damage in Florida was in no way overdone, storm surge impacts were tremendous.

6 minutes ago, sctvman said:

yea. but let's face it, the last couple of days, I haven't even touched talking about politics on my fb or twitter. keeping friends in the path of this storm up to date on things is much more important, especially since none of them have been Florida, SC, or Georgia since the last time a major hurricane struck the US.

The last few radar frames show perhaps the beginning of a turn to the right, it can't come soon enough. The eyewall is already almost on shore. It will have to hook NE fast to save it impacting Charleston. 

I'm also wondering if it'll be downgraded to Cat 1 soon-it already has the degraded "half-a-cane" look on radar with the south side destroyed by dry air, and over time the appearance continues to get more ragged. 

not sure who at home is tracking this eye approach on say GR3 or other products. but on the Charleston SC radar in the last few frames, in the eye wall storms, I actually saw a possible hail icon start to show up, even if it was 10% for pea-sized hail with a vil of 16. Now i realize that this is most likely just a R+ or RX band. but still, last I knew tropical systems even of this magnitude shouldn't be showing hail signatures, especially now with dual pol. if anything, maybe a debris signature, or even a biological signature if birds got caught up in there. anyone else seeing that?

4 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

not sure who at home is tracking this eye approach on say GR3 or other products. but on the Charleston SC radar in the last few frames, in the eye wall storms, I actually saw a possible hail icon start to show up, even if it was 10% for pea-sized hail with a vil of 16. Now i realize that this is most likely just a R+ or RX band. but still, last I knew tropical systems even of this magnitude shouldn't be showing hail signatures, especially now with dual pol. if anything, maybe a debris signature, or even a biological signature if birds got caught up in there. anyone else seeing that?

I see the same though I dont really know what im looking at :)

5 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

Did not see a hail icon but VIL shows something about where the inner band is showing up with some red on BR

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=AFDCHS&e=201610080530

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Charleston SC

130 AM EDT Sat Oct 8 2016

...There has been a slight jog back to due north of Hurricane Matthew rather than east of due north from earlier. We certainly hope this is only temporary, but due to this since the eyewall is approaching the coast from Tybee to Hilton Head, we have a Special Weather Statement in effect for hurricane force wind gusts to likely occur overnight in and near these coastal communities...

------------------------------------------------------------

Very serious situation developing for these areas... watching some idiots walking around on Tybee Island right now... may see live fatalities...

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived