Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah there's a very dense pack out there...filled with water.  We have had more snow this week at Stowe than the entire month of December last year I believe.  And I'm sure that's the same at a lot of areas.

More snow than we had in March and December around here lol, well it seems like it at least. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Send her the bill.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

I agree. She was up there with only a sweatshirt and sweatpants. She is lucky to be alive.

The legislature passed a law a few years ago to allow for that when people get lost skiing out of bounds. I assume it would apply here too. 

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.99” L.E.

With the 0.20” I found in the gauge this morning, that’s a wrap on the Thursday/Friday system, so it came in right around an inch of liquid in total.  The water content from yesterday’s slushy accumulation and other observations from yesterday morning are below:

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 4.0

Snow Density: 25.0% H2O

Temperature: 35.2 F

Sky: Snow/Rain

Snow at the stake:

That was a great October stretch for snow, with three storms producing snow down here in the valley, and substantial accumulations in the mountains – there are a few local resorts that have been keeping track of the totals, and I’ve put those in the usual north to south listing:

Stowe: 20”

Bolton Valley: 19”

Sugarbush: 19”

Killington: 17.5”

The system on its heels is already on us, and it looks to be mostly a rain event.  It looks like we’ll warm up some for the immediate future, and it could be a while before it cools back down, but looking at the models we’re really not that far away from the cold up here near the international border.  We’ll have to see if there are any wintry events for the mountains over the next couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, alex said:

2016-10-29 08.19.32.jpg

Alex,  at first I thought the Presidentials were just totally snowcovered with wet paste snow.  Looking at this picture it looks like kind of a cap cloud on the ridgeline.  Wow, you have had endless hours of snow falling past couple of days without anything to show for it. 

Hey Gene, no there was no cap cloud, the cloud deck is pretty high. The white is all snow, against a dark gray sky. The Presidentials definitely got a nice paste job, just not at my elevation! The ski resort actually was quite white yesterday too, but it melted overnight from the trees. The trails of course are still covered (but at least some of that is manmade). But yeah, we had hours and hours of snow and 0 accumulation! Oh well, there's time...

Kind of a strange weather day.  Dark, cold but convective type brief heavy showers.  Really large tropical type drops.  They last a minute or two and then end.  Have been in this conveyor of moisture for past couple of hours.  Only about .10" since the showers are so brief.

Nice to see Mt Cardigan totally snowcovered before the deck lowered...

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex,  at first I thought the Presidentials were just totally snowcovered with wet paste snow.  Looking at this picture it looks like kind of a cap cloud on the ridgeline.  Wow, you have had endless hours of snow falling past couple of days without anything to show for it

lol that's one way to look at it I guess.  

Im in the same boat at home but I'll take a week of flakes flying consistently anytime in October over endless light rain haha.

I think I had a trace every day except Wednesday and today?

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

How warm will it get mid week?

Not sure but this is all disappearing below 3000ft regardless.

I can't even fathom how the the lower half would start a snowpack in October.  The main question I have is does the summit melt out.  Will have to do some looking if the summit Stake has ever started it's permanent winter pack in October.  Part of me doubts it but then again there may be some year that got to a 24-30" pack and rode it out.

Im also noticing it's getting eaten from below...ground still warm and wet as the snow from the first storm probably insulated the ground from the real cold temps.

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol that's one way to look at it I guess.  

Im in the same boat at home but I'll take a week of flakes flying consistently anytime in October over endless light rain haha.

I think I had a trace every day except Wednesday and today?

Same here. It was certainly a wintry week by October standards!

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I can't even fathom how the the lower half would start a snowpack in October.  The main question I have is does the summit melt out.  Will have to do some looking if the summit Stake has ever started it's permanent winter pack in October.  Part of me doubts it but then again there may be some year that got to a 24-30" pack and rode it out.

If one is using the Mt. Mansfield Stake as a reference point, the Mansfield winter snowpack has started in October on numerous occasions.  It just doesn’t look like things have aligned for it to happen very recently however – the most recent season appears to be 2002-2003, although there is a missing data point where one has to assume it didn’t go to zero.  The 2004-2005 season actually just missed it by one day, as the snowpack started on November 1st.  The earliest I saw in the data was 1980-1981, where the snowpack started on October 20th.  If the snowpack were to hold this season it wouldn’t beat that date however, since this snowpack started on October 23rd.  There’s at least another season ahead of this one as well, because the 1988-1989 season snowpack began on October 22nd.

2 hours ago, adk said:

Not sure it matter if it all melts this week or next...but  its melting. the CPC temp anomalies are not looking good for us for the next 14 days.  (Though the GFS suggests that's not really accurate)

Our initial goal with snowmaking was to try and keep the upper loop from the Double up covered in white.  Or from what's known as the Rock Garden in Mtn Ops which is the wide open area above the top of Sunrise/Lord and bottom of Ridgeview.  

I will say I was impressed with some of the piles.  Could certainly see all the natural snow going but leaving white ribbons or man made piles behind.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Our initial goal with snowmaking was to try and keep the upper loop from the Double up covered in white.  Or from what's known as the Rock Garden in Mtn Ops which is the wide open area above the top of Sunrise/Lord and bottom of Ridgeview.  

I will say I was impressed with some of the piles.  Could certainly see all the natural snow going but leaving white ribbons or man made piles behind.

Y'all might have a couple more windows of snow making anyway in the next 7-8 days. Tonight and tomorrow being the first one. 

Watching football and looking back at some past Octobers... I remember doing a lot of skiing in 2005 and 2006 when I was at UVM, even skiing the glades one of those years in October.

I was also surprised to find that Mansfield averages 10.7" in the month of October...I had it in my mind that it was more like 4-6" for some reason.

Look at the second half of both October 2005 and October 2006.  Wow at how wet these periods were.  For comparison, this October has had only 3.93" of precipitation (vast majority has fallen since the 19th when the pattern turned wetter) and the COOP is showing 9.7" of total snowfall vs the 20" which is my best effort at measuring the various events through hiking or snowcat rides but it has not been measured at my normal location due to accessibility.  The COOP did miss the last event on Friday with no snowfall data, and also the first event went in as 8" when the snow depth went from 0" to 10-11".  It just highlights the "take with a grain of salt" of the data but it is something to work with.

Here's October 2005:  31.8" of snowfall, max depth of 21", and 11.57" of liquid in the last two weeks of the month (talk about wet, holy crap).

Mansfield October 2005.jpg

Here's October 2006:  25.8" of snowfall (though that's low as they are missing data that caused the snowpack to go from 18" to 24"), max depth of 24", and 10.94" of liquid in the last two weeks.

Mansfield October 2006.jpg

October 2005 saw the remnants of Hurricane Wilma get wrapped up into a coastal low.  That produced crazy heavy snowfall on Mt. Washington on 10/25 and 26. The summit coded 24.3 inches of snow on the 25th and 9.1 inches on the 26th.  Whiteface also had like 24" inches from that event. 

Archived