Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, dryslot said:

Anyways, Working on fabricating a snow stake this season, All aluminum, Just got done painting the base black

Snow%20Stake_zps5yc3v9bv.jpg

Black%20Base_zpsgemwnykt.jpg

Awesome man!  That's by far the best set up, round measuring pole in the center as opposed to a fixed measuring stake on any of the sides.  

Works great for me on the mountain when we get big snowpacks as it just floats on top...so you don't have the hole in the snowpack that'll just fill in with wind each time.  You want that board floating on top of a nice uniform area and you'll get some very reliable readings.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome man!  That's by far the best set up, round measuring pole in the center as opposed to a fixed measuring stake on any of the sides.  

Works great for me on the mountain when we get big snowpacks as it just floats on top...so you don't have the hole in the snowpack that'll just fill in with wind each time.  You want that board floating on top of a nice uniform area and you'll get some very reliable readings.

I have a square one i use for snow pack depth, When there is wind it would drift up the front of it and add to the depth, This way here with it being round, It should not happen

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I have a square one i use for snow pack depth, When there is wind it would drift up the front of it and add to the depth, This way here with it being round, It should not happen

Yeah it can still drift a little bit but it won't be quite the difference and with the circular pole you can easily see and average the high side with the low side.  I do think circular is the way to go from what I've seen.

The wooden board around the black area...that'll float perfectly.

I’ve got the numbers for October precipitation at our site:

Snow: 1.1” (137.5%)

Liquid: 4.04 (73.9%)

The 1.1” of snow was less than last October (1.7”) but very typical for the month (mean = 0.8”, median = 1.0”).  The timing of the first snow/frozen precipitation (Oct 22nd) was also quite typical – it was a few days behind average for first frozen precipitation (Oct 19th) but a few days ahead of average first accumulating snow (Oct 26th).

Total liquid was a bit on the low side as has been the general trend over the past several months, and that was mostly due to the first 2/3 of the month.  Liquid equivalent in the last 1/3 of the month, which is all from the various snowstorms that came through the area during that period, was 3.75” or 92.8% of the month’s total.

October numbers:

Avg max:  55.77   +0.64.     Avg min:  35.65   +1.34      Avg mean:  45.71   +0.99.   8th mildest of 19.

High:  73 on the 7th.    High min:  47 on 2nd, 3rd, 21st.     High mean:  56.5 on the 3rd.

Low:  21 on the 15th.     Low max:  39 on the 29th.   Low mean:  35 on 26th, 31st.

Precip:  5.73"   +0.22 and moves Oct avg to 5.51", now #1, a full 0.01" ahead of June.  Largest day:  3.22" on the 22nd.

Snow:  T on 25th, 26th.

First month with AN precip since Feb.

Looks like the PWS in this area are 0.5-0.7" today though I haven't been home to check the Stratus.  

It poured for 2-3 hours there with a few hours of light rain on either side.  Getting very windy up at the mountain.

Most of the natural snow is gone except above 3000ft where it's patchy cover.  The man-made snow is still holding on pretty well all things considered.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like the PWS in this area are 0.5-0.7" today though I haven't been home to check the Stratus.  

It poured for 2-3 hours there with a few hours of light rain on either side.  Getting very windy up at the mountain.

Most of the natural snow is gone except above 3000ft where it's patchy cover.  The man-made snow is still holding on pretty well all things considered.

Should be able to make and get some natural help over next several days. 

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Should be able to make and get some natural help over next several days. 

Yeah I'm pleased with what's left of the man-made.  Below 2000ft its piles with grass between them but up above say 23-2400ft it's continuous and that's a big head start from say starting from scratch.

I will say the river behind my place is as full as I've seen it all year...just ripping along.  There was a decent couple inches of liquid in the mountain pack up high that's now released and you can see it.  River wouldn't look like this for 0.6" rainfall event normally.  

Crazy though that there's still snowbanks in spots around the parking lot and at the end of RT 108 by the resort.  Those piles of high water content snow take forever to melt.

29 minutes ago, dryslot said:

0.95" on the day

We precipitate.  

0.59" here at home in the Stratus.  Just SE of here was a swath of 1"-1.25" but still a solid soaking.  We'LL see what the ULL and trough axis brings, could see some spots getting up to a quarter inch more but it'LL be more terrain oriented as well.

Archived