joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Aug Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need some help from either someone with intimate knowledge of the climate throughout Garrett Co. and/or a source where I can find detailed records from stations around the county.  I'm looking at possible relocation sites and don't want to make the same mistake I made when moving to Stephens City.  I know precip / snow varies greatly by location there, so I'm trying to find the spots to avoid.  Wxunderground doesn't give snow totals and there are limited stations around there to begin with.  If anyone can provide assistance I'd greatly appreciate it.

12 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Need some help from either someone with intimate knowledge of the climate throughout Garrett Co. and/or a source where I can find detailed records from stations around the county.  I'm looking at possible relocation sites and don't want to make the same mistake I made when moving to Stephens City.  I know precip / snow varies greatly by location there, so I'm trying to find the spots to avoid.  Wxunderground doesn't give snow totals and there are limited stations around there to begin with.  If anyone can provide assistance I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jonjon in Davis is the guy I'd try to talk to. He and his wife have lived up that way for years and know the area well. He commuted to Oakland for many years and his wife is connected in the real estate market in that area. I'd drop him a pm or better yet, drop into the Stumptown Ales brewery.

Also, Phinneas has a place in GC.

29 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

For what you are looking for it's pretty easy. West of keysers ridge. Oakland/McHenry area. Higher the better. 

The biggest decision is how far you are willing  to live from groceries and gas stations to get maximum cold and snow. 

12 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Jonjon in Davis is the guy I'd try to talk to. He and his wife have lived up that way for years and know the area well. He commuted to Oakland for many years and his wife is connected in the real estate market in that area. I'd drop him a pm or better yet, drop into the Stumptown Ales brewery.

Also, Phinneas has a place in GC.

Those are good leads.  Will follow.  Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

For what you are looking for it's pretty easy. West of keysers ridge. Oakland/McHenry area. Higher the better. 

The biggest decision is how far you are willing  to live from groceries and gas stations to get maximum cold and snow. 

That's what I figured, but what info I've found on the internet reveals wildly varying snow amounts.  Potential job is in Luke, so I'm predominantly looking at Oakland and east.  Found a house that we like just NW of Swanton, looks like elevation is about 2,570 ft.  Then I found a source that showed 37" per year there.  Got to be bogus, I hope.

5 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Those are good leads.  Will follow.  Thank you.

That's what I figured, but what info I've found on the internet reveals wildly varying snow amounts.  Potential job is in Luke, so I'm predominantly looking at Oakland and east.  Found a house that we like just NW of Swanton, looks like elevation is about 2,570 ft.  Then I found a source that showed 37" per year there.  Got to be bogus, I hope.

Maybe 37" of liquid?

3 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Maybe 37" of liquid?

It said snow, but I wondered that also.  I found a couple sources that put Oakland around 105" per year, and then another that was closer to 60", and another that showed even less than that.  I found a source that listed Friendsville (elev. 1,500) at 89" and another at 28".  A realtor that showed us a house there said it was about 40 - 50."  It's become frustrating trying to determine what is accurate.

17 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It said snow, but I wondered that also.  I found a couple sources that put Oakland around 105" per year, and then another that was closer to 60", and another that showed even less than that.  I found a source that listed Friendsville (elev. 1,500) at 89" and another at 28".  A realtor that showed us a house there said it was about 40 - 50."  It's become frustrating trying to determine what is accurate.

I agree with Bob.

8 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

There are two CoCoRahs stations in the panhandle of MD, both are near Oakland.  If you want to check the data yourself, they are MD-GR-4 and MD-GR-9 (http://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/).  MD-GR-4 is right at Deep Creek Lake at 2500'.  That is the time series that goes back further.  The other one is right on the east side of Oakland/Mountain Lake Park.  Just over 2400'.

2015-16:  92.5"/90.2"

2014-15:  92.5"/75.1"

2013-14:  141.5"

2012-13:  168.0"

2011-12:  85.1"

2010-11:  141.6"

2009-10:  206.7"

10 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Your wife needs to give you a good slap. You're a f'ing mess.

I think the arid conditions at casa NPZ has caused some potentially irrational relocation decisions. I understand it but wonder if Mattie has a point. Hang in there NPZ. Maybe take another year before deciding whether or not to relocate out there. Its a nice place to visit for a few days but to LIVE .....yeeesh. 

36 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

I think the arid conditions at casa NPZ has caused some potentially irrational relocation decisions. I understand it but wonder if Mattie has a point. Hang in there NPZ. Maybe take another year before deciding whether or not to relocate out there. Its a nice place to visit for a few days but to LIVE .....yeeesh. 

Well, he did say his job was going to be in Luke, so might as well take as much advantage as possible since he is going to that general area.

50 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

9 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Well, he did say his job was going to be in Luke, so might as well take as much advantage as possible since he is going to that general area.

Potential job, but I am actively searching for other career opportunities within driving distance from Garrett Co.  Don't know if this present opportunity will pan out - infact, it presented itself even sooner than I was looking for; however, I am dead-set on a move.  While I could simply move a couple miles in any direction and eliminate much of the annual summer drought, I can no longer tolerate endless months of 90+ temps.... and there is no escaping that around here.  I'm not keen on Maryland taxes, but I love that area of the state.

I don't necessarily expect anyone to know an answer, but I wonder why the model release times change between seasons.  The only speculation I can think of is there's some model center somewhere that has too many challenges with late night hours. Hmm

4 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

I don't necessarily expect anyone to know an answer, but I wonder why the model release times change between seasons.  The only speculation I can think of is there's some model center somewhere that has too many challenges with late night hours. Hmm

Can't tell if serious? The change is when we go from DST to not DST.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived