Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sweet '16 Mid-Long Range Discussion

NWNC2015

16 minutes ago, NC_hailstorm said:

Nice 582dm ridge sliding into the west coast by day 7.

Also have a well placed stronger 588dm ridge of the SE coast by then.With a strong placed ridge there it keeps fronts from blasting through and we get multiple rounds of heavy rain chances for a week or longer.Not great for winter weather but good for precip until it finally gets beaten down.

Yep. let's get the rain in here then cold. A great setup to hopefully put an end to these forest fires.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/21/2016 at 0:49 PM, NCSNOW said:

The Drought is fixing to take a punch in the face in the SE. Want be a knockout blow but the trough setting up in the west is going to open up SW flow and we should get a hefty dose of rain across the SE early next week. Then the trough should continue work its way east and hopefully set up shop east coast style through the first 10 days of December.

Still sticking with my Monday idea. SE is gonna get some much needed releif, more so over western parts first then progressing east throughout next week. And give me the pac dream setup first then atlantic/blocking. I love blocking but without the pac cooperating it's fruitless for my neck of the woods 99 times out of 100.

1 hour ago, NCSNOW said:

Still sticking with my Monday idea. SE is gonna get some much needed releif, more so over western parts first then progressing east throughout next week. And give me the pac dream setup first then atlantic/blocking. I love blocking but without the pac cooperating it's fruitless for my neck of the woods 99 times out of 100.

Good call.

I'm having a hard time seeing a legit change to a wet pattern for the SE, based on a combination of looking at LR model data and the trends over the last few months.  Within any legitimate time frame where the model has any skill at all, the only mechanism we have to produce rain is a strong cold frontal passage.  Out in the 5-7 day time frame, we see the SE ridge get beaten down some and a big U-shaped trough moving east toward the SE.  But once again, the main storm/energy goes up into the midwest, leaving us hoping for waves riding along a slow-moving front to produce copious rainfall in the SE.  We've seen this depicted time and again in this range, only to back way off as we get closer.  Way far out in la la land, we see a continued strong -PNA and ridging along the Gulf/SE.  With that in place, the storm track is still going to be north of us.  The LR likes to pop such a huge -NAO that it forces the storm track south, close to us, so we get these waves riding near the area, producing all of this rain.  My bet is, given how the pattern has been, that the track will be much farther north than it is currently being shown in the LR.

6z GFS 500 mb 174:

174u.jpg

6z GFS Surface 174:

174s.jpg

6z GFS 500 mb 300 (same story as above):

300u.jpg

6z GFS Surface 300 (same story as above):

300s.jpg

6z GFS 500 mb 384:

384u.jpg

Don't get me wrong.  I hope for a very wet pattern to emerge.  And we are reshuffling some of the key players around in the atmosphere.  So I would say that a pattern change is coming.  But this may very well be one of those examples where you can have a pattern change that doesn't really lead to a wholly different outcome in the southeast.

I'm having a hard time seeing a legit change to a wet pattern for the SE, based on a combination of looking at LR model data and the trends over the last few months.  Within any legitimate time frame where the model has any skill at all, the only mechanism we have to produce rain is a strong cold frontal passage.  Out in the 5-7 day time frame, we see the SE ridge get beaten down some and a big U-shaped trough moving east toward the SE.  But once again, the main storm/energy goes up into the midwest, leaving us hoping for waves riding along a slow-moving front to produce copious rainfall in the SE.  We've seen this depicted time and again in this range, only to back way off as we get closer.  Way far out in la la land, we see a continued strong -PNA and ridging along the Gulf/SE.  With that in place, the storm track is still going to be north of us.  The LR likes to pop such a huge -NAO that it forces the storm track south, close to us, so we get these waves riding near the area, producing all of this rain.  My bet is, given how the pattern has been, that the track will be much farther north than it is currently being shown in the LR.

6z GFS 500 mb 174:

174u.jpg

6z GFS Surface 174:

174s.jpg

6z GFS 500 mb 300 (same story as above):

300u.jpg

6z GFS Surface 300 (same story as above):

300s.jpg

6z GFS 500 mb 384:

384u.jpg

Don't get me wrong.  I hope for a very wet pattern to emerge.  And we are reshuffling some of the key players around in the atmosphere.  So I would say that a pattern change is coming.  But this may very well be one of those examples where you can have a pattern change that doesn't really lead to a wholly different outcome in the southeast.

kinda like the pattern change we had two weeks ago, cooler no doubt but still very dry

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Solid analysis Cold Rain, as usual...but I do think we'll see some increased rain opportunities.  Not deep south tracking lows with copious moisture, but cold fronts swinging through from the west that are stronger than we've been seeing and slower moving due to the downstream blocky pattern, providing some rain to the fire ravaged areas, with lesser amounts toward the coastal plain.

42 minutes ago, griteater said:

Solid analysis Cold Rain, as usual...but I do think we'll see some increased rain opportunities.  Not deep south tracking lows with copious moisture, but cold fronts swinging through from the west that are stronger than we've been seeing and slower moving due to the downstream blocky pattern, providing some rain to the fire ravaged areas, with lesser amounts toward the coastal plain.

Thanks...yeah, that is why we have to hope blocking materializes.  With the storm track still well to our north and west, we need fronts to slow down and draw in moisture from the Gulf.  Hopefully, we will see that actually begin to take shape so some of these 180 hr fronts with lots of rain will work into the 0-12 hr time frame.

41 minutes ago, Stormcatt said:

00z is the same

Not to say the last frame of the GFS Op should be believed, but this is a good sign to see cold on our side of the globe. -20F for Minnesota, -10F lows for Minneapolis...PV drops south of Hudson Bay. Pair that with a ridge on the west coast and look out in the SE! This should help the cold deniers a bit, now for the ensembles to come on board. Whenever you're in the midst of a pattern change with cold bleeding east, it will take a while for the ensembles to sniff out a trough on the east coast for the LR...we'll have to wait, but it's coming!

Not to say the last frame of the GFS Op should be believed, but this is a good sign to see cold on our side of the globe. -20F for Minnesota, -10F lows for Minneapolis...PV drops south of Hudson Bay. Pair that with a ridge on the west coast and look out in the SE! This should help the cold deniers a bit, now for the ensembles to come on board. Whenever you're in the midst of a pattern change with cold bleeding east, it will take a while for the ensembles to sniff out a trough on the east coast for the LR...we'll have to wait, but it's coming!

Agree it's also nice to see the Ridge building NW of Alaska. My fear with that is it sets up too far to the west and allows the western troughs to continue to dig in . We really need the PNA to wake up . The only thing that bugs me is the ensembles are still hell bent on splitting the US with a west coast trough and a trough off the eastern seaboard. Hopefully your right that it takes them a while and they will slow start to correct over time. Given all that it's clear the pattern is undergoing huge changes , if we can finally shut off the pacific jet and establish the Ridge late December into January could be fun

47 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Now THIS is what we like to see...only 360 hours! ;) Enjoy your highs in the 30s down there, Phil! :lol: 

2mt.png

If it happens - I will! And it would bust my entire (private) winter forecast -  which would make me so happy!!!!!

Thanks, Jonathan!

Now let us see what we shall see.

And BTW - Happy Thanksgiving (from the couch!).

Phil

PS - My trepidation is this is an 18Z run with nothing before it .... but maybe a broken GFS 18 Z clock is right twice a day

Euro Weeklies...

Week 2: Dec 1-8. Weak West -NAO, Deep Western U.S. trough, Ridging building toward Aleutian Islands. Colder than normal over most of the country (especially out west) except warmer than normal over FL and the coastal plain of the SE, and over the NE states.

Week 3: Dec 9-15. Prominent feature is strong Aleutian/Bering Strait ridge, with troughs centered off of both coasts (off WA state and off Maine coast). Temps are below normal coast to coast.

So, the models appear to be keying on a Pac jet slowdown and plunge of cold air into the states during week 3. To me, the location of the ridge in the Bering Strait would still favor the max cold anomalies in the W U.S. and upper Midwest. A colder look for the SE would be Gulf of AK to E AK ridging and/or stronger west -NAO. At any rate, it's an improved look for cold air

Week 4: Bering Strait ridge remains, but weak ridging and slight warm anoms takeover except for east coast

The 6z GFS still looks nice, but I don't like being on the edge of the good rainfall. It's dry from Augusta GA to Raleigh NC and southeast from there. I'm betting this trends west and north, leaving the Carolinas and GA bone dry before it's over. It has also trended much warmer too, which is a very nice change. We don't need really cold weather until January.

Archived