Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Trent said:

Plugging in the projected temperatures through the end of the month, CLE should be able to end June/July/August as hottest on record. 

I wonder if the constant sunshine has warmed the lake and resulted in this, it just hasn't seemed that hot overall.

Lansing has had +1, +2 and +4. August should finish around +3.5.

Summer of +2.1F here.

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

I wonder if the constant sunshine has warmed the lake and resulted in this, it just hasn't seemed that hot overall.

Lansing has had +1, +2 and +4. August should finish around +3.5.

Summer of +2.1F here.

I don't think many here would think it's the hottest. It basically comes down to consistently above average for 90 days. CLE just ended a 30+ day streak of above normal temps, and only 4 days since the 4th of July didn't get above 80 here. You've got summers that had frequent 95+ days strung together, but then had those week long reprieves in the 70s that brought averages down. 

If August 2016 ended today, it would be the warmest on record with an average of 77.3*F (August 1995 holds the current record with an average of 77*1*F).

Also, as long as August ends with a 76.4*F average or greater, 2016 will be the warmest Summer on record for DTW.

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

If August 2016 ended today, it would be the warmest on record with an average of 77.3*F (August 1995 holds the current record with an average of 77*1*F).

Also, as long as August ends with a 76.4*F average or greater, 2016 will be the warmest Summer on record for DTW.

CLE is pretty much in the same boat as DTW. August is currently hottest on record, but will probably fall to around 3rd when the month is said and done. Same for hottest summer on record as DTW, there's quite a bit of wiggle room for temps to bust next week and still manage to break the record.

Were there many outlooks/long range forecasts in the spring calling for a record hot summer for parts of the Eastern Great Lakes?

12 minutes ago, Trent said:

CLE is pretty much in the same boat as DTW. August is currently hottest on record, but will probably fall to around 3rd when the month is said and done. Same for hottest summer on record as DTW, there's quite a bit of wiggle room for temps to bust next week and still manage to break the record.

Were there many outlooks/long range forecasts in the spring calling for a record hot summer for parts of the Eastern Great Lakes?

I saw multiple forecasts calling for well above average...like +3 to +5.

Pretty meh summer for heat here along the lake. relentless easterly component to the wind it seemed almost every afternoon. I'll be cursing that lake breeze early in  snow season  lol.  

Might of seemed a little warmer since we haven't had a warm summer in some yrs. But there just wasn't any real sustained heat to make it a memorably warm summer, especially up here and along the lake.

Had quite the streak of perfect weekends this summer going until last weekend and this one upcoming.

Been in a real micro screw zone here this summer for precip. And I don't see this active pattern breaking down for a while so I expect a great fall and early snow chance season especially MN and those parts.

Here in IKK, we had been moving along at a nice pace with summer rainfall through mid-August (normal to slightly wet)...but since August 15, things have gone crazy wet. I never thought I'd see season rainfall totals again like we saw last summer, but here we are again. Amazing. I'm so ready for a nice 2 week stretch of dry weather, lol.   

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

0.40" overnight.  We got lucky, as several models pegged us for 1-2".  Brings us to 7.38" for the month.

An astonishing amount of rain.  what are the fields like?  I can't imagine.
Monthly total here (was) an impressive 5.06.  Have even had some lake effect rain already.  Superior is pretty warm... I'm betting on a damp fall along the shoreline.

Another Dry Slot Dandy..  Feel like Cyclone last winter..  It finds anyway possible not to rain here all summer  Best summer ever outside of that.  Pumped for winter..   50" winter is a lock.  How high can we go though!?  Big-Big- Big Midwest winter of cutters.

As cyclone said, this event didn't produce the widespread good rain totals earlier expected, but I did get a couple heavy downpours overnight that dropped 0.45".  My August total is up to 7.12".  My met summer total is 20.23".  The trend in recent years has been to have a very wet June, but dry out as summer progresses.  The previous five Augusts have all been dry to very dry, so this year ends that string.

6 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Here in IKK, we had been moving along at a nice pace with summer rainfall through mid-August (normal to slightly wet)...but since August 15, things have gone crazy wet. I never thought I'd see season rainfall totals again like we saw last summer, but here we are again. Amazing. I'm so ready for a nice 2 week stretch of dry weather, lol.   

prcp_mpe_m2d_tot.png

6 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Yes, agree.  Another 1.82" here last night puts me at 10.06" for August.   Getting old. 

11 hours ago, weatherbo said:

An astonishing amount of rain.  what are the fields like?  I can't imagine.
Monthly total here (was) an impressive 5.06.  Have even had some lake effect rain already.  Superior is pretty warm... I'm betting on a damp fall along the shoreline.

Fields have actually looked great all spring and summer.  Seen quite a bit of standing water in ditches at times over the past month or so, but the fields look great.  I imagine there's areas where you can't see that have been negatively effected.  I think the fact that the crops were firmly established, and quite tall before the heavy rains really took off helped out.  I'm guessing the harvest should be a very good one for the most part.  The corn is just now starting to show signs of drying out, as in many fields the lower stalk areas are starting to brown/yellow up some. 

7 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

As cyclone said, this event didn't produce the widespread good rain totals earlier expected, but I did get a couple heavy downpours overnight that dropped 0.45".  My August total is up to 7.12".  My met summer total is 20.23".  The trend in recent years has been to have a very wet June, but dry out as summer progresses.  The previous five Augusts have all been dry to very dry, so this year ends that string.

You got almost exactly what we've had here this summer lol.  We're at 20.02" for June/July/August.  There were a few days in June during the weather station switch-over where there was no data.  Can't remember if we had anything those few days or not.  

Yeah usually we get a few dry and hot weeks in the latter half of the summer that dries things out, and fires the lawns.  The extraordinary run of high humidity back in late July, combined with relentless downpours throughout the weeks has kept it looking like Ireland  around these pahtz.

Another 90 degree day at CLE today, which makes it the 26th time this year (in addition there were 6 days at 89 degrees).

Meteorological summer is now a lock for the hottest on record, it's just a matter of how much it's going to surpass the old record, currently it's 0.5 degrees warmer than the previous which is pretty impressive. 

I just love this summer, it has been phenomenal and like a stranded visitor in the desert who hasn't had any water in days...this summer to me is a 2 litre canton of ice cold water. I would have lost my mind if this summer was like the last 3. The current pattern the Great Lakes are experiencing is perfect.  I have zero complaints about all this. I don' think I'll be able to whine about the weather for a very long time if this fall is like 2007...what a mind-blowing combo that would be to join this gem. What is super impressive is how consistent the humidex has been over 30C here: its never ending! Lots of heatwaves, and just this constant very warm blanket that doesn't really have a reprieve and it just went right into August all the way which I haven't seen in forever. Usually the cut-off is the first week of August (2006, 2012). August 12 2016 overnight was easily the hottest and most brutal for sleeping of the year where it was 24ºC (humidex of 34C) at 3:00 am.

The only things I would change would be more severe thunderstorms or interesting events (although more towards extreme SW Ontario certainly has had it), more records broken (daily highs), and June being a bit better. This is already one of the best summers of my lifetime temperature wise but include those and its perfect. Those pesky cold fronts that ruin a good streak of weather, just gone for the most part. Every time I look at the 7-day its just more heat with a few days around 20ºC coming up.

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

12z GFS is a virtual torch. Several days of consecutive 90*F+ highs if it's right.

Isn't the regime the model(s) are showing just the best? From 220 hours onwards its pretty much the September from heaven. The last few months have been so amazing that I've stopped daydreaming about being in southern Arizona for the time being.

3 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

I just love this summer, it has been phenomenal and like a stranded visitor in the desert who hasn't had any water in days...this summer to me is a 2 litre canton of ice cold water. I would have lost my mind if this summer was like the last 3. The current pattern the Great Lakes are experiencing is perfect.  I have zero complaints about all this. I don' think I'll be able to whine about the weather for a very long time if this fall is like 2007...what a mind-blowing combo that would be to join this gem. What is super impressive is how consistent the humidex has been over 30C here: its never ending! Lots of heatwaves, and just this constant very warm blanket that doesn't really have a reprieve and it just went right into August all the way which I haven't seen in forever. Usually the cut-off is the first week of August (2006, 2012). August 12 2016 overnight was easily the hottest and most brutal for sleeping of the year where it was 24ºC (humidex of 34C) at 3:00 am.

The only things I would change would be more severe thunderstorms or interesting events (although more towards extreme SW Ontario certainly has had it), more records broken (daily highs), and June being a bit better. This is already one of the best summers of my lifetime temperature wise but include those and its perfect. Those pesky cold fronts that ruin a good streak of weather, just gone for the most part. Every time I look at the 7-day its just more heat with a few days around 20ºC coming up.

Isn't the regime the model(s) are showing just the best? From 220 hours onwards its pretty much the September from heaven. The last few months have been so amazing that I've stopped daydreaming about being in southern Arizona for the time being.

How low do you keep the AC in your office?

Archived