Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

As is typical with an EML, there is a little bit of a cap. Below 700 mb from what I see quickly on the GFS and NAM soundings at MHT and BOS. We'll erase it eventually with lift, but a couple degrees more on dews would help too.

Kevin better start watering that mulch bed.

Ahh so modes are struggling with that capping...got it.  Thanks!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Ahh so modes are struggling with that capping...got it.  Thanks!

It's not like a traditional loaded gun type cap you see on soundings, but it's there. The low levels are dry enough that there is a little bit of CIN left for a surface based parcel.

Should be a pretty unique trend to dewpoints actually. Much of the night is probably going to look ugly, as WAA tops the stable boundary layer. But as soon as we warm up, we'll actually mix much higher dewpoints down.

The NAM at CON has dewpoints in the upper single digits around 925 mb. Those jump 10 degrees in 3 hours, and Bufkit mixes CON out into the 70 degree dewpoint range by afternoon. 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Should be a pretty unique trend to dewpoints actually. Much of the night is probably going to look ugly, as WAA tops the stable boundary layer. But as soon as we warm up, we'll actually mix much higher dewpoints down.

The NAM at CON has dewpoints in the upper single digits around 925 mb. Those jump 10 degrees in 3 hours, and Bufkit mixes CON out into the 70 degree dewpoint range by afternoon. 

Crazy that mixing will result in higher dews.  Usually I love that 9-11am dew drop.

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Man..Sipprell Gone Wild in the AFD today. SGW

Does he even understand half of what he types?

That was a weenie popping AFD  for sure.  Talk about microanalysis.  I love it.  Still not sold on this all coming together.  Hopefully SNE gets crushed while I'm in Maine.  I'll pass on another microburst when I'm surrounded by trees hundreds of feet high with  8 kids age 8  and under on the property.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Crazy that mixing will result in higher dews.  Usqually I love that 9-11am dew drop in the mountain valleys.

NAM Bufkit says CON wakes up to meh dews around 60, only to hit 68 by noon. Similar story at BTV, most New England sites really. Keep an eye on those dews at summit level in the morning.

MHT CAPE doesn't drop below 1000 J/kg until 10 AM Saturday!

may i ask what the time frame for storm development is? i work in the outdoor rec field, and we have to evacuate customers from the park when there is lightning...trying to figure out if daily operations will be affected tomorrow...the park is right over the sagamore bridge in sandwich...I know most times, convection won't hold together because of the marine influence...but if there is a chance, i need to be ready for it

9 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

may i ask what the time frame for storm development is? i work in the outdoor rec field, and we have to evacuate customers from the park when there is lightning...trying to figure out if daily operations will be affected tomorrow...the park is right over the sagamore bridge in sandwich...I know most times, convection won't hold together because of the marine influence...but if there is a chance, i need to be ready for it

It's a later show. Possibly even late afternoon at the earliest for SNE (barring some remnant MCS activity in the morning).

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's a later show. Possibly even late afternoon at the earliest for SNE (barring some remnant MCS activity in the morning).

thanks, we are open 8am-8pm...this most recent round of storms we had caused two evacs, the 2nd one we had to evac 100 people out of the trees...talk about adrenaline rush

Just looked at the SPC.  Has New England in slight again.  I think we were slight yesterday and then downgraded last night and then back upgraded to slight past couple of hours.  Am I right?  Nice to see most all of New England is mostly clear without lots of debris clouds from previous convection.  Temps should rise quick region wide.

let's let this marinade for a while...

hi res satellite imagery is interesting when balancing against surface obs... high and low.  most sites are more than merely leaf wobbling wind from the SW, while cloud debris elements are curling SE out of southern Ontario/NYS.  

that (in theory) puts decent directional shear across the area, which is positive for convection alone ... but may also be MCS fertile later on, too.  looking up stream, i'd like to see more SW flow in the surface obs across western NY and OH ... establishing a llv jet (of sorts) during max heating, with 500-300 mb layer backing wind direction would be dicey and unstable.  that may yet strengthen when mixing kicks in a little later on - plus, dps are averaging 3 to 5 F richer in those areas so that helps the profile for generating some organization out of matters should anything get going. 

Archived