Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Meltdowns aside, Wiz is right about the forcing aspect.

It's just too dry aloft right now for localized convective initiation. We need sustained convergence to get an updraft to really go right now. Elevated heat source like terrain or a diffuse boundary won't cut it.

But jet energy is starting to increase from the NW. We're seeing sustained convection where the red and purple overlap.

ddiv.gif

Do you know o any papers on research that may have been done specifically on forcing and severe in New England?  Someone has had to do some research on this...specifically dealing with where you want the s/w to be placed and tracked and prime locations for jet streaks/entrance/exit regions and such.

hell, even if something exists im going to further investigate this.  I just wish there was a way to compile a list of setups which had potential but did not pan out and then compare the setup and evolution to the events that did pan out

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Do you know o any papers on research that may have been done specifically on forcing and severe in New England?  Someone has had to do some research on this...specifically dealing with where you want the s/w to be placed and tracked and prime locations for jet streaks/entrance/exit regions and such.

hell, even if something exists im going to further investigate this.  I just wish there was a way to compile a list of setups which had potential but did not pan out and then compare the setup and evolution to the events that did pan out

You could definitely find some research on that out there, but I don't have any in mind off the top of my head.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

You could definitely find some research on that out there, but I don't have any in mind off the top of my head.

If anything, this summer has shown how important forcing is and how critical it is...even when you have juicy cape values.  The cape will obviously help build updrafts and provide the fuel but without the forcing they can only take you so far.  

We we get reminded of this very much during our cool season setups...you don't need big cape for severe...strong forcing > big cape IMO.  

Thats why you guys do so well...you might not get the big cape values but you're always so much closer to the jet dynamics and forcing and that does alota lot

Archived