joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes!  10 minute misery mist gives me a T for the day. Actually nothing even made it to the bottom of the stratus or even got the pavement wet.  I assume because there was a few small drops on car windshields etc. it goes down as a T even though if I was an ASOS it probably would have not detected anything.  So the 11 day streak of absolutely no rain comes to an end.

Neighbor called me this morning because their well is on life support.  They have never had this happen in 35 years and was wondering when we would get enough rain to replenish it.  She said she has heard many people are now in the same situation.  I really didn't have any good news to tell her.  An inch of rain or so  will not do much with the dryness so deep now.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yes!  10 minute misery mist gives me a T for the day. Actually nothing even made it to the bottom of the stratus or even got the pavement wet.  I assume because there was a few small drops on car windshields etc. it goes down as a T even though if I was an ASOS it probably would have not detected anything.  So the 11 day streak of absolutely no rain comes to an end.

Neighbor called me this morning because their well is on life support.  They have never had this happen in 35 years and was wondering when we would get enough rain to replenish it.  She said she has heard many people are now in the same situation.  I really didn't have any good news to tell her.  An inch of rain or so  will not do much with the dryness so deep now.

I'm considering holding off on our lawn reseed end of month. It'll be twice now we've had to postpone. Maybe Spring, but who knows. I just got a gut feeling this winter will be like last. 

Our climate focal looked at torchy CON data recently, to see just how much (if any) difference there was this year.

There is overlapping data with MHT since 1998. The 1998-2015 average max temp difference (CON minus MHT) is -0.34 degrees, SD of 0.56. Min temp difference is -5.45, SD 1.04. So CON is usually slightly cooler during the day, and much cooler at night when compared to MHT.

2016 those numbers are 0.7 degrees warmer during the day than MHT, and 5.5 degrees cooler at night. Basically nighttime temps are right in line, and daytime temps are about a full degree warmer than expected. This represents a 1.86 deviation from the mean on high temps, pretty far out on the tail. The last time CON had warm deviations over 1 was in 2000-2001, another drought period.

All this is to say that it could be normal for a drought, and it could also be siting changes. :axe:

42 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Our climate focal looked at torchy CON data recently, to see just how much (if any) difference there was this year.

There is overlapping data with MHT since 1998. The 1998-2015 average max temp difference (CON minus MHT) is -0.34 degrees, SD of 0.56. Min temp difference is -5.45, SD 1.04. So CON is usually slightly cooler during the day, and much cooler at night when compared to MHT.

2016 those numbers are 0.7 degrees warmer during the day than MHT, and 5.5 degrees cooler at night. Basically nighttime temps are right in line, and daytime temps are about a full degree warmer than expected. This represents a 1.86 deviation from the mean on high temps, pretty far out on the tail. The last time CON had warm deviations over 1 was in 2000-2001, another drought period.

All this is to say that it could be normal for a drought, and it could also be siting changes. :axe:

Interesting...I never went back that far. You would think MHT would get a daytime boost too although I suppose being so close to tarmac nullifies that to an extent. Thanks for giving your due diligence with this.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Interesting...I never went back that far. You would think MHT would get a daytime boost too although I suppose being so close to tarmac nullifies that to an extent. Thanks for giving your due diligence with this.

It's actually kind of a bummer, because it doesn't really answer our questions. We know the sensor is fine, since nighttime shows no bias. But something has clearly changed during the day, we just can't prove whether it's drought or siting.

I'm considering holding off on our lawn reseed end of month. It'll be twice now we've had to postpone. Maybe Spring, but who knows. I just got a gut feeling this winter will be like last. 

Lava,  Last year I had to reseed a part of my property.  I went to my local Agway here in Central NH.  He said not to reseed past early to mid September in this time of year.  Newly sprouted grass is very susceptible to frost.  Once grass is more established it is much more durable.  Don't know your local climate so maybe you can do it later than me.  I would check with "people in the know"  first. Maybe waiting till spring might be better???

Right now I could not reseed, the ground is hard as rock.  Maybe if you get some rain with this weekend's fropa it would moisten the top couple of inches enough for grass to germinate with watering.

Lava,  Last year I had to reseed a part of my property.  I went to my local Agway here in Central NH.  He said not to reseed past early to mid September in this time of year.  Newly sprouted grass is very susceptible to frost.  Once grass is more established it is much more durable.  Don't know your local climate so maybe you can do it later than me.  I would check with "people in the know"  first. Maybe waiting till spring might be better???

Right now I could not reseed, the ground is hard as rock.  Maybe if you get some rain with this weekend's fropa it would moisten the top couple of inches enough for grass to germinate with watering.

yeah, this would be a total/partial lawn reseed, basically putting down 3" topsoil in the bare areas followed by hydroseed, then lower depths in other areas. I need to book it now since the company is scheduling 2-3 weeks out. But I am worried about spending $3,000 and running out of water. I think with a 500' well, we'll be ok, but ya just never know. The lawn looks pretty bad lately:

http://weather911.net/capture1.jpg

Curse you for even thinking such a thing! We shall never mention last winter again!

Just not possible.  I refuse to believe another March with 0.0" and 2 Traces will take place.  Never, ever.

yeah, this would be a total/partial lawn reseed, basically putting down 3" topsoil in the bare areas followed by hydroseed, then lower depths in other areas. I need to book it now since the company is scheduling 2-3 weeks out. But I am worried about spending $3,000 and running out of water. I think with a 500' well, we'll be ok, but ya just never know. The lawn looks pretty bad lately:

http://weather911.net/capture1.jpg

I wouldn't seed that late in Sept if that's the only option.  My average temp first week of Oct is like 63/40 and goes down quickly from there .(Yours is prob somewhat similar-maybe a smidge warmer)  That is not too conducive for grass growth. Cant predict Oct temps, so maybe it ends up being really warm. 

The old dormant seeding method.  Spread it and forget it and pray for months of snow cover.  Can work if we get some decent continuous coverage this winter.

I have chickens now. Anything I put down now is a goner. I'll probably overseed a bit right before the pack looks to be permanent (if that ever occurs). If I can get 50% germination I'll call it a win. The front is now turning into dust bath city with the dry wx over the last 10 days. The chickens figure if it isn't going to grow we may as well bathe in it. :axe:

I can't wait until we lose these mid and high 80's already. I am ready for summer to be over.

I'd be happy with in lingering through the end of September if would rain something meaningful down here.  My pond keeps getting lower and lower.  If it's not going to rain, then  I'm on the cool down bus.

I can't wait until we lose these mid and high 80's already. I am ready for summer to be over.

Eyewall,  Lol......soon your going to have to fill your anti anxiety meds again as we start watching snowstorm after snowstorm go south of us.  My new theory on drought and low snow winters is that you moved up here from NC.  That is when our climate really started changing.  May have to start taking up a fund to ship you back south so normal climate can come back!

Eyewall,  Lol......soon your going to have to fill your anti anxiety meds again as we start watching snowstorm after snowstorm go south of us.  My new theory on drought and low snow winters is that you moved up here from NC.  That is when our climate really started changing.  May have to start taking up a fund to ship you back south so normal climate can come back!

Well you will be in luck for Christmas and New Years. I will be away for that this year.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

The old dormant seeding method.  Spread it and forget it and pray for months of snow cover.  Can work if we get some decent continuous coverage this winter.

That works very well for re-seeding winter-only logging roads, though we do it just prior to breakup, when the ATVs with electric spreaders can travel without making a mess.

It's been a little over a week here. Looks like we have a chance tonight and a better one Saturday, I'm hoping it pans out. It really hasn't been that dry - August had 5.42" (see below), but our soil is very sandy and the yard dries up quickly. Nothing like at my house down in Mass though...

8/1/2016 0.18
8/2/2016 0
8/3/2016 0
8/4/2016 0
8/5/2016 0
8/6/2016 0
8/7/2016 0.09
8/8/2016 0
8/9/2016 0
8/10/2016 0
8/11/2016 0
8/12/2016 2.86