EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up with 0.91" of rain in the Stratus.

Widespread 1"+ through eastern Vermont it looks like over into New Hampshire.

We just missed the 1" mark... one of the Stowe Village stations had the 0.94" (southern Lamoille County) for reference... but like 10-20 miles east it was widespread 1-1.75" rainfall.

Aug_22.gif

Definitely a fall look to the satellite this morning. CAA stratocu and even getting some mountain waves.

vis.jpeg

That band of clouds SE of MWN isn't really formed from convergence around the peak, but a wave over it. The main inversion is up around 6,000 feet, so some air is squeezed up and over MWN. Immediately downstream is downsloping obviously, but then the wave results in rising motion even farther downstream.

RAP has it nailed down.

RAP_omega.jpeg

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Even the board knows it's pointless to post your rainfall totals when compared to powderfreak.

LOL, I know it’s been especially dry for some of the forum members off to the east this summer, but even down in the mountain valleys, don’t the Northern Greens get more annual precipitation than most spots in New England at similar elevations?  I know the site I’m in is a bit unique, but we get substantially more precipitation than spots just 20 miles to the east and west of the spine, and that’s probably a trend in all the mountain valleys around here to some degree.

Brian, we are at CON right now checking the temp sensor. Bad news is that it's dead nuts with the calibration thermometer, and within a degree of the secondary back up. Good (?) news is that when the airport reconditioned the area around the ASOS they added dark mulch as a bed under the thermometer instead of leaving it grassy. That won't really be an issue on a windy day like today, but on a calmer day it sure could be.

Has Kevin been moonlighting as a landscaper for regional Tarmacs?

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Interesting. Makes sense because the lows don't seem too bad. Do they have sod being shipped in as I type this? Do you know when they dropped the mulch? It'd be interesting to compare with my numbers. 

Our tech said it was at least a month ago, thereabouts.

He ditched the mulch from the box beneath the temp sensor and covered it with white stone that should allow plants to grow through. We'll see if that helps.

11 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Wasn't the wind like 10-20mph at the time of the extreme heat? 

Maybe I should landscape around the asos.

Yeah. I looked at the raw data from the high heat in July and there were some decent spikes at short intervals. I'd have to look again to see if they correlated with lulls in speed. Definitely interesting and at least it's something. 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Yeah. I looked at the raw data from the high heat in July and there were some decent spikes at short intervals. I'd have to look again to see if they correlated with lulls in speed. Definitely interesting and at least it's something. 

The interesting thing would be if there has in fact been a change in condition around the ASOS. It was right there with the calibration thermometer, so it's the local environment or all three temp sensors used today are bad. 

Could it be landscaping at the ASOS, or is the larger dryness causing a feedback on temps in the area?

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The interesting thing would be if there has in fact been a change in condition around the ASOS. It was right there with the calibration thermometer, so it's the local environment or all three temp sensors used today are bad. 

Could it be landscaping at the ASOS, or is the larger dryness causing a feedback on temps in the area?

I noticed that the BGR readings have returned to normal at least.

But we accrued about 3 months worth of bad temperature data from that site. Hopefully it gets revised somehow.

KBGR_Madis.png

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

But we accrued about 3 months worth of bad temperature data from that site. Hopefully it gets revised somehow.

Boy, that one seems fairly noticeable too. Of course, BGR is about as far from CAR as you can get for a maintenance trip.

Then again, someday soon BGR will probably be our responsibility. Or even BOX's, as the WFOs are whittled down.

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Boy, that one seems fairly noticeable too. Of course, BGR is about as far from CAR as you can get for a maintenance trip.

Then again, someday soon BGR will probably be our responsibility. Or even BOX's, as the WFOs are whittled down.

Tamarack had pointed out these huge positive departure bullseyes near there on monthly or seasonal maps this summer...usually that is a red flag of bad data...and sure enough I checked MADIS and the data was running like 3F warmer than it should be.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

KBGR_Madis.png

I'd noticed the more reasonable afternoon temps at BGR recently.  Those two abrupt changes certainly scream site/equipment issues.

Ocean,  that's interesting about dark mulch under the ASOS.  Basically an artificial surface you would not find in a natural habitat.  Isn't the ASOS thermometer only 6 feet off the ground?  I'm surprised there is no NWS guidelines that would say that a certain amount of area around the sensor has to be a natural covering like grass.  In other parts of the country like the SW perhaps a rocky surface is the natural surface but in the NE its some kind of green growing material that reflects sunlight differently and perhaps adds moisture to the air layer right above which could easily change temperatures a degree or two.

15 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ocean,  that's interesting about dark mulch under the ASOS.  Basically an artificial surface you would not find in a natural habitat.  Isn't the ASOS thermometer only 6 feet off the ground?  I'm surprised there is no NWS guidelines that would say that a certain amount of area around the sensor has to be a natural covering like grass.  In other parts of the country like the SW perhaps a rocky surface is the natural surface but in the NE its some kind of green growing material that reflects sunlight differently and perhaps adds moisture to the air layer right above which could easily change temperatures a degree or two.

Actually guidelines do call for grassy surface under the temp sensor. Even our RSOIS equipment for upper air, which is technically anchored to the pavement, has the thermometer extending off the pole to the west so it's over grass.

I have just learned that this mulch at CON (and apparently it's not the only station this has happened at, but we don't know which others) was a NWS HQ project and not even the airport. :facepalm:

Archived