Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

21 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

It's so depressing... a good flooding pattern like this seems to happen maybe once a summer. 

On a random note, I wonder if those random bolts of lightning in that shield of light rain last night were positive strikes?  They were 10-20 miles away, but good lord were they deep with an exceptionally long rumble-length.

Inversions can do funky things with thunder too.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a change I have done pretty well the past 2 days.   Got 1" Friday eve.  Yesterday with lots of stops and starts added another .82".  eek, I noticed those very long rumbles last evening.  One of them was so long that I was thinking that I have never heard thunder last that long in my life.

Temps stayed in the low to mid 60's all day yesterday.  Felt great.  Dew up to 74F this AM.

I guess one more shot of convection today and then the midweek system.  Hope more areas are covered.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The Sanbornton RWIS just had an 80F dew...Ashland RWIS 84F dew (lol)...Bear Brook RAWS 77F. My Davis is at a pretty steady 81/76 right now. The METAR sites are LM70s. It's pretty swampy out there.

Nice dewpoint surge this morning. Everyone is up like 5+ degrees since I arrived at the office.

1.27" since Friday dawn, though only 0.03" since 9 last night.  Have not heard a rumble nor seen a flash, though there was some thunder in the Friday morning downpour at home while I was at work.  Yesterday's 63/55 wasn't conducive for much convection.  Mostly cloudy and soupy, about 80, not much yet on radar. 

74/61  very comfortable day.  Have been under fairly thick cirrus all day keeping me nice and cool.

Looks like low pressure will be moving along the International boarder tomorrow.  Keeps heavy rain shield north of much of our area.  SPC has a large slight risk area to the SW of us.  Wonder if with enough heating if there will be severe convection in at least Central New England.  Would rather have the rain shield further south instead of the more scattered nature of qpf.   

I ended up with 1.82" from past event.  Neighbors dug well did not come up at all even with so much rain in my immediate neighborhood.  It is amazing that how fast the grass has greened up just 48 hours later.

Just now, eekuasepinniW said:

Storms south. Rain north. Sounds about right.

Yeah,  sounds right.  The good rain will be too far north but we will be stuck in clouds while SNE breaks out and gets the good convection.  Will be interesting to watch.

In other news was just reading the general tropical discussion on the boards and I guess some of the models are showing more Atlantic activity coming up.  The US has been so lucky for many years now without a huge hit.  (Well discounting the hybrid Sandy storm).

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yeah,  sounds right.  The good rain will be too far north but we will be stuck in clouds while SNE breaks out and gets the good convection.  Will be interesting to watch.

In other news was just reading the general tropical discussion on the boards and I guess some of the models are showing more Atlantic activity coming up.  The US has been so lucky for many years now without a huge hit.  (Well discounting the hybrid Sandy storm).

06z GFS at 384 hours FTW!

On 8/12/2016 at 8:33 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Line of thunderstorms is just north of me.  So close.   Will they make it south to me this evening???  .  Took this picture at sunset they were casting a nice shadow over Newfound Lake

sunset.jpg

Had a wild sun looking beam cast on Smith mountain lake in VA Friday night too. I threw in a drone pic as well for you dronies 

IMAG1830~2.jpg

IMAG1841~2.jpg

YUN00016.jpg

Here's some rain moving through.  Not going to be excessive, but probably in the end most of us in the northern tier are looking at 0.3-1.0" of what seems more like synoptic high pwat rain rather than convective stuff.  Southern Quebec has at least anecdotally has seemed to be quite active in the precip department, even going back to snow last winter...they were commonly the jackpotters of most systems in the second half of the winter.  We'd get the WAA wet snows on the front-end warm front and they'd get the commahead.  They've been doing well this event.

August_16.gif

Archived