Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

On 8/14/2016 at 10:13 PM, LaGrangewx said:

I know this is quite a change of topic and also the New England thread but I've been reading some of the older threads and wanted some more knowledge. I'm looking at several cabins up in the Adirondacks and was wondering about locations since I don't have a ton of knowledge about the land up there. When I was younger my uncle had a cabin on Mountain road in Thurman at about 1400' and was convenient to gore, probably averages around 100". There's 3 cabins I'm looking at right now all in different areas. One is on the western side of mt vanhoevenburg at about 2000ft and would be convienient to whiteface. One is in Loch Muller around 1640' and is kind of between gore and whiteface. And the last is in western stony creek which is somewhat near the old cabin in Thurman and located at around 1600' as well but might be a little snowier than in Thurman and would be only 30 min from gore. Would appreciate any feedback thank you.

I'd have to go with the one at 2,000 near Mt. Vanhoevenburg as being the snowiest since it has the most elevation and latitude. My best guess is that spot probably averages in the 110-120" per year range, maybe more. I'm not quite as familiar with Adirondack snowfall patterns as I am New England, but I do know the western Adirondacks get more lake effect. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man getting me pumped for winter haha.

NW flow upslope sheet rains with strong gusts.  Currently sustained 47G61 on the ridge.

Definitely a "wintry" feel with this storm.  And by that I think it almost felt like a SWFE.  One thing for sure is that the landscape has taken on that lush, jungle-like look more akin to early summer than the usual dullish, tired, mid-August look.  The Winooski River here in Montpelier is running as high as I've seen it since spring.  It might even be as high as been all year due to the lack of snowmelt this spring.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Bit underwhelming  to say the least down in SVT...   .05" lol.

Yesterday, BTV's facebook page map:

For those of us south of the line, it sure looked promising.   There was stratiform rain around 2:30 pm for about an hour, and then only 0.05 inches from the line that went through in the evening.  The main thrust of the day's events was the late night narrow band from Middlebury to Montpelier.

One of the bummers about Vermont is the lack of cell phone coverage in many areas.  My crew had field work down in the Wells area and, because of the forecast for thunderstorms, we got off the lake once the rain started at 2:30 pm.  If I had cell phone coverage, I'd have seen via the radar that the rain was stratiform rather than convective and we'd have been able to stay put.  Or if the forecast had identified the two features of rain.

Edit: not sure why, or how to fix, the truncated map.

Storm ova!    .30"   Cloudy right now occ. sprinkles cold NW winds.  For the first time it feels like a fall cold front.  House was so muggy last night and now I'm closing the windows.  Amazing how quick my lawn came back with 2" of rain the past week.

How did New England do as a whole with this past system?  I know PF got creamed as usual and SW NH got some good totals with storms.  Is there a radar simulation of how much rain feel over the whole New England region?  I don't closely follow the radar returns in the real drought areas around E Mass and SE NH and SW Maine.  I know some showers/storms moved through.  Curious how widespread it was.

Next rain/storm chances is with fropa around Monday.

Was looking at 10"+ cocorahs rain totals through the NE states for MET summer. Not surprising with how convective season has gone, VT with most 10"+ totals from 6/1. Top 8 stations are in VT. (my station is number is number 7--top 6 are all in NVT after the crushing they got yesterday/last night)-- After that there is a station in CT at number 9.

VT-46 stations above 10"

CT-10 stations above 10"

ME-8 stations above 10"

NH-7 stations above 10"

Ma-2 stations above 10"

RI-0 stations above 10"

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Man getting me pumped for winter haha.  NW flow upslope sheet rains with strong gusts.  Currently sustained 47G61 on the ridge.

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

Definitely a "wintry" feel with this storm.

Yeah, when I got up this morning and saw that we were still getting pretty steady rain, I immediately went to see what the radar was showing.  It was funny to refresh the radar image from last night and watch it immediately pop to showing northwest flow after the southwest flow we had earlier – it certainly got me thinking of winter storms though and those bonus innings of northwest flow.

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Awesome late summer day. 74.6F for a high and a mostly sunny afternoon with gusty winds. Get the dews 15F lower and it'd be perfect.

70.4F for my high and it was probably 80% cloudy all day up until about an hour ago with increasing sunshine now.  So many times in NW flows like today its cloudy overhead while I look to the south and see the clouds just dissipate as they leave my foothill area.  I wonder how much the percent of sunshine increases as you leave the uplands of NNE into downslope areas. 

Precipitation total map from BTV...this doesn't include some upslope rains that fell after 7am for certain spots along the Spine.

Probably the most widespread 1-4" rain event of the summer when looking at the rainfall foot-print.  Not just localized pockets but a swatch of heavy rains.

Winner is the Hanksville COOP in SE Chittenden County on the immediate west slope south of I-89 where they recorded 3.81" of rainfall.  That's pretty damn impressive to get the bulk of 3.81" in only a couple hours.  BTV AFD last night mentioned dual-pol showing 6"/hr instantaneous rainfall rates when the line progressed through the region.

CoCoRAHS had some other 3"+ amounts that didn't make the map.

August_17_precip7am.png

Up at the mountain we finished with 2.62" at the Mountain Operations Center (the 1,500ft office location) and the Mansfield COOP came in with 2.77".  One of the larger precipitation events of the summer and likely of the year so far for 24 hour totals.

Daily Hydrometeorological Data
National Weather Service Burlington VT
644 PM EDT WED AUG 17 2016

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     2.77    66  52  56

Archived