Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Sad day at Shelburne Farms immediately south of BTV... a lightning strike this morning burned down the beautiful dairy barn dating to the 1800s.  

"Shelburne Farms is a nonprofit educational organization on the estate formerly owned by the Webb family. The farms campus consists of a 1,400-acre working farm, forest and National Historic Landmark, that includes historic buildings such as the Shelburne Inn."

image.jpeg

Holy ****! I had not seen this Man, what a loss. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably 41-42 at my place, while SFM/IZG touched upper 30s.  Wind was still up at 10 last evening, delayed the decouple.  The quick little TS seemed to drop only a tenth or two in Farmington, but when I got back home I was pleased to see 0.32" in the tube.  Plus it was the 1st Sept thunder I've heard since 2013.

Great shots (the pic and the strike) of that tree, though its bark looks more like red maple than oak (unless the lightning messed it up.)

Probably 41-42 at my place, while SFM/IZG touched upper 30s.  Wind was still up at 10 last evening, delayed the decouple.  The quick little TS seemed to drop only a tenth or two in Farmington, but when I got back home I was pleased to see 0.32" in the tube.  Plus it was the 1st Sept thunder I've heard since 2013.

Great shots (the pic and the strike) of that tree, though its bark looks more like red maple than oak (unless the lightning messed it up.)

It may have been maple, It was a quick evaluation as i was walking around in someones back yard. :)

Northfield, NH
August 2016 Climatological Data

***Temperature***
Averages (departure)
Max........80.8F (+3.7)
Min........58.0F (+1.2)
Mean.......69.4F (+2.4)

Extremes (day)
High Max...91.9F (12th)
Low Min....46.3F (23rd)
Low Max....67.4F (1st)
High Min...67.6F (12th)

Max  Min
 90.0s    2    0
 80.0s   18    0
 70.0s    9    0
 60.0s    2   10
 50.0s    0   20
 40.0s    0    1
 30.0s    0    0
 20.0s    0    0
 10.0s    0    0
  0.0s    0    0
 -0.0s    0    0
-10.0s    0    0
-20.0s    0    0

***Precipitation***
Total......2.37" (-0.99")
Daily Max..0.80" (22nd)

Days
>=1.00"   0
>=0.50"   1
>=0.25"   4
>=0.10"   7
>=0.01"   9

Local Sites
Station - Network (ID)          Elevation AvgMax AvgMin AvgMean
Newbury - CWOP (D5928)            1555'    77.6F  60.2F  68.9F
Tilton - CWOP (C9887)              866'    80.8F  59.9F  70.4F
Northfield - CWOP (C7324)          614'    80.8F  58.0F  69.4F
Laconia Arpt - AWOS (KLCI)         545'    81.9F  59.9F  70.9F
Weirs Beach - HADS (WEIN3)         508'    81.9F  62.7F  72.3F
Pittsfield Mill - HADS (PTFN3)     485'    82.9F  58.0F  70.5F
Silver Lake - HADS (SLVN3)         485'    83.7F  58.1F  70.9F
Lake Winnisquam - HADS (LKWN3)     478'    82.9F  58.9F  70.9F
Winnipesaukee River - HADS (TLTN3) 442'    82.1F  58.6F  70.4F
Franklin Falls Dam - HADS (FFDN3)  415'    83.4F  60.1F  71.8F
Bear Brook - RAWS (BERN3)          365'    85.0F  55.3F  70.2F
Contoocook River - HADS (COTN3)    358'    83.3F  58.7F  71.0F
Suncook River - HADS (NCHN3)       357'    84.5F  55.9F  70.2F
Concord Arpt - ASOS (KCON)         338'    86.9F  58.8F  72.8F
Soucook River - HADS (SOUN3)       270'    84.6F  57.9F  71.3F

Better late than ever.

0.02" of meh. Radar not looking promising.

What happened to storms. Guess convergence didn't develop. Why are models so bad lately? This is frustrating. We had two tstorms all summer and they weren't even severe. I don't care about tstorms at this point, but damn we need real rain events. I'll predict Sunday is a pile of meh.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Augusta reported the same at 2 PM, and the rain was over.  Doubt I got much different at home; no longer matters for the garden this late in the season, but it would be nice if folks' wells got re-hydrated.

Tamarack,  I was just thinking about people's wells and the cold season coming.  We are still along way away from the ground freezing but once it does I wonder if that stops water from getting down into the water table?   It would also have been nice to give the forest canopy a good drink before trees begin to go dormant.  I have no idea about this stuff but do mature trees still pull up water after their leaves fall off?

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...

image.jpeg

Brian,  I know your east of Franklin but west of 93.  Thought you would get clipped by the cell that went just to your east.  As I posted, I got .15" but my friend in Bristol only got .03" in his status.  Guess I beat you and eek on this one.   I'll take my .15" and run!

14 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Tamarack,  I was just thinking about people's wells and the cold season coming.  We are still along way away from the ground freezing but once it does I wonder if that stops water from getting down into the water table?   It would also have been nice to give the forest canopy a good drink before trees begin to go dormant.  I have no idea about this stuff but do mature trees still pull up water after their leaves fall off?

You addressed this to Tamarack, but I'll jump in and provide an answer. Once trees and shrubs set buds for dormancy, they all but stop using water.  Without leaves (and their stomata), there is no exchange of carbon dioxide (intake), oxygen (output), and water vapor (transpiration), so there's no physical demand to pull water from the soil.  The roots require a small amount of water in the soil so they don't desiccate, but this is minimal.  In a typical year with plenty of groundwater, streamflow and water levels in ponds and lakes begin to rise once leaf drop occurs, as available groundwater is not removed by vegetation.

Frozen soils (especially when the surface is frozen and cemented with ice) prevent a lot of precipitation from recharging groundwater, but water is still infiltrating through micro-fractures throughout the soil profile and in the zone where the soil temperature hovers above freezing.   This zone is fairly shallow below the surface in November and December and typically deepens in January and February.

2 hours ago, ApacheTrout said:

You addressed this to Tamarack, but I'll jump in and provide an answer. Once trees and shrubs set buds for dormancy, they all but stop using water.  Without leaves (and their stomata), there is no exchange of carbon dioxide (intake), oxygen (output), and water vapor (transpiration), so there's no physical demand to pull water from the soil.  The roots require a small amount of water in the soil so they don't desiccate, but this is minimal.  In a typical year with plenty of groundwater, streamflow and water levels in ponds and lakes begin to rise once leaf drop occurs, as available groundwater is not removed by vegetation.

Frozen soils (especially when the surface is frozen and cemented with ice) prevent a lot of precipitation from recharging groundwater, but water is still infiltrating through micro-fractures throughout the soil profile and in the zone where the soil temperature hovers above freezing.   This zone is fairly shallow below the surface in November and December and typically deepens in January and February.

Great ansere ApacheTrout,  thanks....  

44.1F last night  

18 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Brian,  I know your east of Franklin but west of 93.  Thought you would get clipped by the cell that went just to your east.  As I posted, I got .15" but my friend in Bristol only got .03" in his status.  Guess I beat you and eek on this one.   I'll take my .15" and run!

I'm a little bit southeast of the last "n" in Franklin.

.08" yesterday.

With all the drought talk, a 2010-11 type precip year would probably solve all worries. I was looking a some precip totals on cocorahs and some insanely impressive totals. Their precip summary runs from Oct '10 to Sept '11.  Its been a dry few years, but you would think it would turn around sometime soon. I don't think anyone would complain with  above norm precip and above norm snowfall.

Brattleboro, VT had 81.41"(avg aroung 45").  Had to do double take when I saw that number. Crazy amount for a non mountainous region that sits at about 500Ft.

'10-'11  last time Sierra's really got smoked too:

deep-snow.jpg?w=1000

spring_storms_09.jpg

spring_storms_11.jpg

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

.08" yesterday.

With all the drought talk, a 2010-11 type precip year would probably solve all worries. I was looking a some precip totals on cocorahs and some insanely impressive totals. Their precip summary runs from Oct '10 to Sept '11.  Its been a dry few years, but you would think it would turn around sometime soon. I don't think anyone would complain with  above norm precip and above norm snowfall.

Brattleboro, VT had 81.41"(avg aroung 45").  Had to do double take when I saw that number. Crazy amount for a non mountainous region that sits at about 500Ft.

'10-'11  last time Sierra's really got smoked too:

deep-snow.jpg?w=1000

spring_storms_09.jpg

spring_storms_11.jpg

holy crap, that's awesome.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

That was a strong CoCoRaHS water year to the north as well, with 71.35” of liquid recorded at our site.  We also saw 29.64” of that liquid during the accumulating snowfall season, and Mother Nature delivered 197.0” of snow.  That was also the last time we had an above average snowfall season here, so hopefully we’re getting more and more “due” for a strong snow season like that one.

It’s interesting, ‘10-‘11 never had quite the feel of ‘07-‘08 and ‘08-‘09, which had the feeling of being right in the storm track, but nevertheless, it’s right up there with those seasons in terms of snowfall.

37 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

That was a strong CoCoRaHS water year to the north as well, with 71.35” of liquid recorded at our site.  We also saw 29.64” of that liquid during the accumulating snowfall season, and Mother Nature delivered 197.0” of snow.  That was also the last time we had an above average snowfall season here, so hopefully we’re getting more and more “due” for a strong snow season like that one.

It’s interesting, ‘10-‘11 never had quite the feel of ‘07-‘08 and ‘08-‘09, which had the feeling of being right in the storm track, but nevertheless, it’s right up there with those seasons in terms of snowfall.

2010-11 is one of my favorite seasons ever...we had everything from huge upslope events (early December had like a 2-3 footer for the slopes) and March had that 24-30" storm that came with like 3-4" QPF.  Stowe town spotter had 27" in that one.  Not often we can get that volume of snow after over an inch of rain.  

That winter had the last real thundersnow I've seen, some event in Feb.. Wasn't huge but maybe like 7-10" of QPF heavy snow and graupel but came with a couple rounds of thunder and lightning. 

It was such an active winter with so many fun and interesting events...as seen by the high QPF totals that winter had in general.  I mean 29" during the cold season is plenty of moisture lol.  Even the January SNE storms were bringing some warning snows up here.  To me that was an awesome winter.  Very little rain too during the mid-season.

Looking back at the snowfall data from the ‘10-‘11 season made me realize that I should probably get around to updating some of this past season’s winter weather data on my website.  I haven’t been all that inspired to get it done, since it’s not nearly as exciting to work up numbers from a clunker of a season relative to a snowy (or even average) one.

In any event, it’s got to be done at some point, so I started by adding the most recent data to my winter weather summary table.  This past season was the only sub-100” snowfall season I’ve recorded thus far in my data, so I knew that would sort of stick out like a sore thumb in that category, but indeed the winter of ’15-’16 actually took “bottom” honors in four categories as noted with the red shading.  As horrible as the season was on most accounts, it pulled a tiny bit of redemption by taking top honors (green) in the “Latest Accumulating Snowfall” and “Length of Snowfall Season” categories.  I’d forgotten about that, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Waterburywxsummarytable.jpg

Archived