Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

2010-11 is one of my favorite seasons ever...we had everything from huge upslope events (early December had like a 2-3 footer for the slopes) and March had that 24-30" storm that came with like 3-4" QPF.  Stowe town spotter had 27" in that one.  Not often we can get that volume of snow after over an inch of rain.  

That winter had the last real thundersnow I've seen, some event in Feb.. Wasn't huge but maybe like 7-10" of QPF heavy snow and graupel but came with a couple rounds of thunder and lightning. 

It was such an active winter with so many fun and interesting events...as seen by the high QPF totals that winter had in general.  I mean 29" during the cold season is plenty of moisture lol.  Even the January SNE storms were bringing some warning snows up here.  To me that was an awesome winter.  Very little rain too during the mid-season.

It may have been the same day we had thunder down here. It was with the passage of the ULL if I recall. Decent storm with a half inch of Dip N Dot type graupel. 

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/... As of 727 AM EDT Friday...Quick update to cancel the frost advisory. Did have several locations near/below freezing this morning, including KSLK (30F) Nulhegan RAWS site in Brunswick VT (32F), and 34F at Island Pond, VT. Lows may have been a degree or so colder, and will await 12Z summaries to see if any colder readings were observed in between obs.

My new-ish weather station still seems to have amazing issues with radiational cooling. I'm not home till tomorrow, but it gave a low of 29F last night, which is certainly wrong. It's the Acurite 5-in-1 pro, and it gets really good reviews. Some say that it's off by a couple of degrees - why is mine off so much? I have it on a pole at about 7 feet of height, in a clearing between trees with brush underneath. I know, I know, I should have gone for a FARS... but didn't want to spend the extra $$$. Is there a way to correct the issue???

In other news, the Sharx cam arrives Saturday!

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:52 AM, wxeyeNH said:

Great ansere ApacheTrout,  thanks....  

44.1F last night  

Agreed.  Only thought I would add is that an abnormally dry soil might cause problems if there were a significant late-winter warm-up before significant snowmelt/recharge.  When boughs are warm and roots are cold/frozen, it can result in considerable desiccation of the foliage, often leading to dieback.

With 47° last evening, I anticipated 35 or below, but probably bottomed closer to 38.  Compared to other frost pockets, mine has been mediocre thus far.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's all about the surrounding topography. If you are a little higher you stay mixed.  

Had 39F at 750ft and 46F at 1,500ft up here.  I saw even a couple low 50s next to like mid-30s in eastern VT depending on exactly where you are.

We're at 720', surrounded by other hills 300-800' with valleys in between . I often wonder if the terrain and surrounding lakes like Sebago (not pictured below) have influence on precip amounts; both rain and snow. I asked last Winter if it was possible we could get shadowed by surrounding hills, but was told not likely since hills aren't elevated enough. In any case, our house is the orange dot.

terrain.jpg

43.3F  for the morning low.

I have a pretty poor memory  (right eek?)  and I may have posted this before but the settlers back in 1795 really knew the best spots to build homesteads.  My 221 year old house always gets a very late frost with its relative higher elevation.  Because it is exposed to the SW the fields loose their snowcover first and dry out sooner for spring planting.  They also knew to have a buffer from  the NW winds as the land keeps rising in that direction.  It was also told to me that they built up high so they could see distant homesteads to make them feel less alone.  Don't know if that is true.

Finishing up the 5 hours to mow all the fields.  Of my 15 acres of land I'm guessing half is fields.  With a 52" deck it takes awhile but only do it 3 or 4 times a season.  Shot from the drone today.  .63" of rain so far this month has kept the pastures somewhat green.  Around the house the lawns are nice and green with our sprinkler system.  Put the hoses and sprinklers away today thinking we will get some rain this weekend and then we are just about done with the growing season.  Forest canopy still green.

I often complain that thunderstorms go north or south of me.  I have the Cardigan Mountain range to the west.  2500 to 3100 feet.  Wonder if subsiding air coming off the mountain range 10 or so  miles to my west and then stabilization over coller Newfound Lake cooler lake water could be the cause?  I wouldn't think the mountains are high enough but maybe they are?

Alex....excited about your new cam!

house Sept 16 2016.jpg

4 hours ago, alex said:

My new-ish weather station still seems to have amazing issues with radiational cooling. I'm not home till tomorrow, but it gave a low of 29F last night, which is certainly wrong. It's the Acurite 5-in-1 pro, and it gets really good reviews. Some say that it's off by a couple of degrees - why is mine off so much? I have it on a pole at about 7 feet of height, in a clearing between trees with brush underneath. I know, I know, I should have gone for a FARS... but didn't want to spend the extra $$$. Is there a way to correct the issue???

In other news, the Sharx cam arrives Saturday!

Awesome. You'll like it. Easy to setup. Are you getting IP View for time stamp pics and lapse?

Brian, good question.  I have never really precisely looked it up.  Just did on a top map.  Property goes from just under 1000 to about 1080.  I'm on a gentle slope rising as you go north.  Below are 2 attachments.  Our land starts under where the drone is and the drone is facing north.  The other map shows the surrounding topography and our property and the location of the house.  To my immediate west the land drops off quickly.  The lake is 587 feet.  Hill behind me is just a bit higher than me.  To my east the land drops off down to a brook and then rises to a ridgeline of about 1600 feet.  High point on that ridge is 1940 feet and I can easily see it.  Fun to watch in the winter because I can sometimes see it snowing at the top of that hill almost 1000 feet higher. 

House drone winter retouched.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Finally got home. Might not have made it to 28.6 like the weather station thinks but we had a good frost. My tomatoes, squashes, corn are all fried. :( I got like 10 cherry tomatoes out of them and not a single squash. Yippee! The kale is doing fantastic on the other hand. Might have to stick with kale and lettuce next year...

Archived