Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Summer/Early Fall 16 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems about equivalent to always pining for the weekend, which is something most of us do.

Disagree...The weekend is when you can do things you want to do. The summer is when you can do more things you want to do, like swim and go to the beach. 

It's actually the opposite. It's pining for a time when we are all stuck indoors and need to wear coats. 

People with kids also understand this. In the winter you are stuck inside all day with your kids. In the summer you can let them out in the yard or the park, which is much less stressful. 

I love all seasons but I do love summer the best. But only because summers on long Island are far better than say summers in the southeast or even inland. This past weekend perfect example. . Then when we finally get that nice 75 degree day and 40 degree dew point in September ahhhh

First frost in October is nice to see

Then onto tracking snow and seeing if we can get below zero. Just as I am getting sick of the cold, the days are getting longer and we're getting nice days in the 50s. Then I start craving summer once agai . To me. The freezing cold makes me appreciate summer more and the hot days make me appreciate fall and winter. I would not be able to do barrow or Miami. I need seasons. And need the sea.

My favorite month of the year growing up was always June because that's when by birthday is and that's when school ends. I also love those first few weeks when the weather truly gets warm. Once you start pushing upper 80's or 90's with high humidity I am done with the heat. Nothing great about it being 80 degrees at 1AM. I can't imagine trying to do it without air condition like they did in the old days.

I love all seasons but I do love summer the best. But only because summers on long Island are far better than say summers in the southeast or even inland. This past weekend perfect example. . Then when we finally get that nice 75 degree day and 40 degree dew point in September ahhhh

First frost in October is nice to see

Then onto tracking snow and seeing if we can get below zero. Just as I am getting sick of the cold, the days are getting longer and we're getting nice days in the 50s. Then I start craving summer once agai . To me. The freezing cold makes me appreciate summer more and the hot days make me appreciate fall and winter. I would not be able to do barrow or Miami. I need seasons. And need the sea.

Well said. My favorite months are August and September!!! I love tracking the tropics. Perfect weather and waves. NY is a great place to be a surfer those two months!!!

Disagree...The weekend is when you can do things you want to do. The summer is when you can do more things you want to do, like swim and go to the beach. 

It's actually the opposite. It's pining for a time when we are all stuck indoors and need to wear coats. 

People with kids also understand this. In the winter you are stuck inside all day with your kids. In the summer you can let them out in the yard or the park, which is much less stressful. 

OK, so your objection isn't to wishing one's life away, but to other people having different preferences from yours. ;) The whole "we're all stuck indoors in the winter" business is wholly self-imposed and without much merit... I spend far more time outside in the winter than in the summer. Life is better when you're not sweating like a pig and plucking bloodthirsty ticks off your unmentionables.

OK, so your objection isn't to wishing one's life away, but to other people having different preferences from yours. ;) The whole "we're all stuck indoors in the winter" business is wholly self-imposed and without much merit... I spend far more time outside in the winter than in the summer. Life is better when you're not sweating like a pig and plucking bloodthirsty ticks off your unmentionables.

What are you doing outdoors on a rainy December day? A cold January day?

I rarely sweat and i dont mind sweating all that much. And why do you have ticks on your balls? Hopefully from getting laid on the beach...i cant really see any other reason...

Monterey, California is probably one of the best places to work outdoors year round with mild winters

and comfortable summers. You would just get bored with the lack of weather outside the rainy season

and no snow. But you could always drive to a ski resort for your snow fix. Home heating and cooling

costs would also be minimal.

MONTEREY      Elevation:  385 ft

JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC ANN

PCP 4.40 3.92 3.38 1.49 0.56 0.20 0.05 0.07 0.24 1.06 2.32 3.41 21.1

MAX 58 60 61 62 63 65 66 68 70 68 63 58 63

MIN 44 45 45 46 48 50 52 53 53 51 47 44 48

that would bore me to tears, but if you had an outdoor job, ideal like you said.

that would bore me to tears, but if you had an outdoor job, ideal like you said.

Coastal LI up through New England is the best of both worlds with decent snows during the 2000's

and enough sea breeze days to take the edge of the summer heat at times.

I rarely sweat and i dont mind sweating all that much. And why do you have ticks on your balls? Hopefully from getting laid on the beach...i cant really see any other reason...

If he wants to like cold weather then that's his right. Leave him alone. 

skiing?  Hiking? Even biking when it's in the 40's or 50's.  I do all that in the winter.   Unless it's bitter bitter cold, you can do a fair amount assuming you put a coat on.

There are no ticks on the beach.

Dutchess County consistently has some of the highest incidence rates of lyme disease in the entire world. A short stroll through my backyard pretty much guarantees you'll pick up a couple hitchhikers, to say nothing of a long hike through the woods. It's absolutely disgusting to have to pull them off your clothes and skin every night.

And since I'm a photographer, a rainy December day has the potential to be infinitely much more fruitful than a sunny June day. If it's a cold, dry day, then you can bet I'll be out on the trail. Other than swimming in the pool and frolicking in lavender-scented meadows with your true love, there aren't many outdoor activities that are exclusive to summer.

OK, so your objection isn't to wishing one's life away, but to other people having different preferences from yours. ;)The whole "we're all stuck indoors in the winter" business is wholly self-imposed and without much merit... I spend far more time outside in the winter than in the summer. Life is better when you're not sweating like a pig and plucking bloodthirsty ticks off your unmentionables.

Agree 100% but society ain't gonna change.

There are no ticks on the beach.

Dutchess County consistently has some of the highest incidence rates of lyme disease in the entire world. A short stroll through my backyard pretty much guarantees you'll pick up a couple hitchhikers, to say nothing of a long hike through the woods. It's absolutely disgusting to have to pull them off your clothes and skin every night.

And since I'm a photographer, a rainy December day has the potential to be infinitely much more fruitful than a sunny June day. If it's a cold, dry day, then you can bet I'll be out on the trail. Other than swimming in the pool and frolicking in lavender-scented meadows with your true love, there aren't many outdoor activities that are exclusive to summer.

Gotcha. If i lived in Dutchess County i might also hate summer then. Or Brooklyn for that matter. 

I think for those who live in coastal locations, summer has a much different meaning. 

I was going to mention that where one lives could very well play into how they feel about the seasons. 

Yea. Many people who live on LI put up with the traffic and the high taxes because they can go to beach every weekend in the summer for almost no cost. Also includes boating, as thousands of LIs boat and fish. 

So i guess if you live here in part for the beaches, when its summer you naturally are happier. Never thought about the fact that upstate people dont have that mindset.

Gotcha. If i lived in Dutchess County i might also hate summer then. Or Brooklyn for that matter. 

I think for those who live in coastal locations, summer has a much different meaning. 

yup...night and day here b/c the city 60 miles to our SW.  We have winds off the sound 75% of the time in the summer which keeps temps b/w 75-85 depending on the month.   the other 25% features west or northwest winds which bring us our warmest temps of 90 or more.  Even right now, we are at 80 with a nice breeze...

Yea. Many people who live on LI put up with the traffic and the high taxes because they can go to beach every weekend in the summer for almost no cost. Also includes boating, as thousands of LIs boat and fish. 

So i guess if you live here in part for the beaches, when its summer you naturally are happier. Never thought about the fact that upstate people dont have that mindset.

I hear ya, I have a bunch of relatives down there who do that.  I enjoy going to the beach but I'm also selfish and most of the beaches around here aren't for me.  I've been spoiled by the beach I go to in the OBX, where I'm not subjected to a life guards whistle all day and wall to wall people.  If there is someone sitting within 50 feet of us then they are close down there, in the Salvo and Waves area, other parts of OBX can be just as crowded as the beaches here can get. Back to seasons though, I enjoy what each has to offer.  While there may not be the beaches up here there are lakes, creeks and streams in the woods that can be just as refreshing in the summer.  The cooler, sunny, and drier days of early fall wouldn't feel as good if they didn't come after the hazy humid days of summer, etc.  I would get bored with just one season year round.       

I'm the polar opposite. Winter feels lifeless, half dead landscapes don't inspire me at all, factor in any cold or dreariness and I'm not interested in being outdoors. And there are quite a few activities exclusive to summer and the warmer parts of spring/fall.

I hear ya, I have a bunch of relatives down there who do that.  I enjoy going to the beach but I'm also selfish and most of the beaches around here aren't for me.  I've been spoiled by the beach I go to in the OBX, where I'm not subjected to a life guards whistle all day and wall to wall people.  If there is someone sitting within 50 feet of us then they are close down there, in the Salvo and Waves area, other parts of OBX can be just as crowded as the beaches here can get. Back to seasons though, I enjoy what each has to offer.  While there may not be the beaches up here there are lakes, creeks and streams in the woods that can be just as refreshing in the summer.  The cooler, sunny, and drier days of early fall wouldn't feel as good if they didn't come after the hazy humid days of summer, etc.  I would get bored with just one season year round.       

I don't disagree with that. The beaches around here can be overly crowded. 

Past few years i have gone to Smith Point Park in Suffolk. Great beach, not crowded at all, yet still has good concessions. Just need to pay the 8 bucks for parking and you are good. 

I went to OBX a few years ago and rented a house in Southern Shores, NC with some friends. We had an incredible time. The beaches down there are great and we drove to Pea Island which is pretty much one long beach which is dead empty. Was a blast. 

Only problem is the long drive with a 2 year old. Not doing that again for a while. This summer we are renting a house in East Hampton for a week with some friends. Nothing crazy but its close to the beach and Montauk, has a pool, etc. It's not OBX but it will do.

This is such a true statement. And you cant do those things without summer weather. (well the taxes and the traffic you can). Personally, I love the heat and humidity in the summer. 

Personally, I've always been more of a Summer lover. I can take the heat pretty well. That said, my ultimate weather for the Summer would be about 80° to 85° and fairly low humidity. The warmer weather allows me to enjoy my hobbies that are restricted in the Winter. I spend almost any of my free time outdoors when the weather is like this.

I don't disagree with that. The beaches around here can be overly crowded. 

Past few years i have gone to Smith Point Park in Suffolk. Great beach, not crowded at all, yet still has good concessions. Just need to pay the 8 bucks for parking and you are good. 

I went to OBX a few years ago and rented a house in Southern Shores, NC with some friends. We had an incredible time. The beaches down there are great and we drove to Pea Island which is pretty much one long beach which is dead empty. Was a blast. 

Only problem is the long drive with a 2 year old. Not doing that again for a while. This summer we are renting a house in East Hampton for a week with some friends. Nothing crazy but its close to the beach and Montauk, has a pool, etc. It's not OBX but it will do.

Smith point is up to $16 for parking

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived