joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing tomorrow, I will believe accumulation when I see it on my lawn. As for Sunday night, that is getting more intriguing, first off it comes at night but also the temperature profile is getting better. Still skeptical but if anything is going to produce it would be the Sunday night thing.  

The thing tomorrow, I will believe accumulation when I see it on my lawn. As for Sunday night, that is getting more intriguing, first off it comes at night but also the temperature profile is getting better. Still skeptical but if anything is going to produce it would be the Sunday night thing.  

I'm still a little skeptical as to whether Toronto will get much on Sunday night. Maybe an inch at most?

The NAM is showing impressive mid-level lapse rates (7-9* C/KM).

That's hard to achieve even during severe weather events around here.

Combined with the progged wind field, things could get quite real tomorrow under the snow squalls / bands.

As far as late-season unwanted snows go... Tomorrow might be tolerable. Convective/thunder potential, but wet grounds are gonna keep accumulation minimal.

Looks like some thunder snow here, going to chase the bands to see if I can get some good video of it.

biggest question is track of vort max on Saturday night.  12km NAM/UK/GEMG look best near the thruway, while the 4km nam/00z euro/12z gfs we're a bit further south into the southern tier of ny.  There is definitely potential for greater than 6" amounts in this thing..snow should be squally and heavy for a few hours near midnight...soundings are very convective with tts in the mid 50s and lots of mid level lift through the sgz..and this is the synoptic stuff...not the lake enhancement, yet.  

Any potential with thunder snow with the mid level trowel tomorrow night into Sunday am?

Yes. Its almost a given to me. Not sure exactly where it will occur, though.

I'll never forget April fool's day 2002.  We picked up about 3-4" of snow from a clipper that way overachieved.  We were only forecast to get a bit of snow in the morning, and then warm up to near 50 in the afternoon.  We became stuck under an intense band of snow for several hours, and even had some claps of thunder for a time right before it quit in the afternoon.  Talk about a busted forecast.  The cool thing about that day though was the tremendous contrast in weather and conditions across Iowa.  We had the snow in eastern IA, but temps in southwest Iowa broke 80 that day!

I'll never forget April fool's day 2002.  We picked up about 3-4" of snow from a clipper that way overachieved.  We were only forecast to get a bit of snow in the morning, and then warm up to near 50 in the afternoon.  We became stuck under an intense band of snow for several hours, and even had some claps of thunder for a time right before it quit in the afternoon.  Talk about a busted forecast.  The cool thing about that day though was the tremendous contrast in weather and conditions across Iowa.  We had the snow in eastern IA, but temps in southwest Iowa broke 80 that day!

Don't remember it well, but I noted 2.7" of snow that day.

GFS trying to push that 3" line into Detroit.

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

I'll never forget April fool's day 2002. We picked up about 3-4" of snow from a clipper that way overachieved. We were only forecast to get a bit of snow in the morning, and then warm up to near 50 in the afternoon. We became stuck under an intense band of snow for several hours, and even had some claps of thunder for a time right before it quit in the afternoon. Talk about a busted forecast. The cool thing about that day though was the tremendous contrast in weather and conditions across Iowa. We had the snow in eastern IA, but temps in southwest Iowa broke 80 that day!

I remember that one. Temp started off a bit mild but then dropped quite a bit after precip onset. Not a lot of snow but was under a nice death band for a while.

Hi-Res models are pretty consistent with showing a potential death band tomorrow.

It's just uncertainty with the marginal temp profiles and, to a lesser extent, location.

To be frank though, it's not often that you get MUCAPE values of 100 J/KG to 500 J/KG overlapping a profile cold enough for snow. 

Legit moderate snow band coating everything here in SE WI. Streets wet at first, but coated now as well.

Same deal here. Legit shot of accumulating snow just now starting to stick to paved surfaces. Goes to show that accumulation is no problem even in April if rates are good.

post-1345-0-96263100-1459602622_thumb.jp

Sipping on Coffee, MOD snow falling on a Saturday AM in April is what we snow addicts dream of.  I pity those who don't get to live the Cheese head/Upper MW climate and suffer the miserable weather  seasons down south.

Enjoy your weekend folks.

Sipping on Coffee, MOD snow falling on a Saturday AM in April is what we snow addicts dream of.  I pity those who don't get to live the Cheese head/Upper MW climate and suffer the miserable weather  seasons down south.

Enjoy your weekend folks.

Another short vid taken from inside.... 6" since 6:30 this morning.

def snow addict here

Great stuff WxBo! Its early April, we snow most yr after yr in April, Us addicts enjoy and don't cry bring on spring until May. 

Today's weather outside of the wind later beats cold April rain every day of the YR..  Because spending time outdoors with your dog in chilly rain is so much fun for both of us.  Ha.

Archived