joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would sort of agree with buffalo. I dont know if id call it unprecedented but it's definitely not common.

Yea I agree with this post. I have lived in this state my whole life. These few days coming up to me is not that shocking. I always tell people the snow is not 100% done till May 1st.

Hi all. :)   Just want to check in and catch up on all the post over the past winter. 

Quite a wild winter here that is for sure.  As expected warmer than normal with a ragging El Nino.  Snowfall was great IMBY getting 4 Warning Criteria storms (1 epic, 1 major and 2  ~8 inchers).  As expected there were constant melt downs.

As expected most will hate this winter but for a ragging El Nino I would have to give this winter an A.  Solid B compared to other winters.  

As normal we are getting our April snows.  Glad they are early this year as I expect a good flip mid-month.

BO I love the pics and video of the UP.  Got my UP trip all planned this summer!! :wub:

Fun to watch this unfold downstate.

Main show today is overh here (6.3")...2-3" more through tonight.

21 degrees. no early spring after all

Love it!!

I am excited that past couple years have really helped the Lake Superior's level.  This winter has been OK even though it was an el nino as there has been enough precip to offset the low ice amounts.

Interesting little band of storms could roll through later Sunday.  4km NAM shows a narrow ribbon of 50+ dews pooling along the advancing cold front. Could be enough to kick off a few low-topped mini sups.  Shear profiles actually look pretty nice, but relatively bone-dry boundary layer will result in a real low ceiling of expectations with this.  Still gonna keep an eye on it.  

Just took a look at this.  Dry boundary layer/lack of instability really hurts as you alluded to.  I think it would've been worth watching later in the season as it's very difficult to pull off northwest flow severe weather this early in the year.

Straight up blizzard conditions in the squalls here. Also had some fog with the last squall to move through which dropped viz to 1/8 of a mile. Easlily the most extreme conditions of the winter today. Great part is that 30 min after the squall, the sun comes out...

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

1216 PM CDT SAT APR 02 2016  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

1215 PM NON-TSTM WND DMG NORTH AURORA 41.80N 88.33W  

04/02/2016 KANE IL NWS EMPLOYEE  

SECTION OF SHINGLES BLOWN FROM ROOF.  

Straight up blizzard conditions in the squalls here. Also had some fog with the last squall to move through which dropped viz to 1/8 of a mile. Easlily the most extreme conditions of the winter today. Great part is that 30 min after the squall, the sun comes out...

I know, this is some crazy weather today. Snow to sun in minutes. Visibility dropped to 50 feet for a bit around 11am.

I know, this is some crazy weather today. Snow to sun in minutes. Visibility dropped to 50 feet for a bit around 11am.

Yeah, we were out and about and there were a few times where we could barely see a car length in front of us. I'm not sure I've actually exprienced blizzard conditions with legit fog - pretty nuts. But, like you said, sun is back out! Funny because we accumulate like an inch of snow, then the sun comes out and it's pretty much gone...

Yea I agree with this post. I have lived in this state my whole life. These few days coming up to me is not that shocking. I always tell people the snow is not 100% done till May 1st.

Now THAT I agree with. Every single year, a flurry in April brings out people saying "snow in April?". Most years, April snow is negligible in this area but it happens. In 135 years of record, there have been only 37 Aprils on record with no measurable snow, and just SEVEN with not a single flake of snow, but the 20th snowiest April is just 3.7".

Detroits granddaddy snowstorm of 24.5" happened in April, but the next largest April snowstorm is 7.4". Three of Detroits top 8 April snowstorms have come recently (2003, 2005, 2009). Even Flint only has 1 double digit April snow and Saginaw 2. They happen, just not too often.

My favorite April snow is probably 3.2" on Apr 15, 2014 because it cemented an epic winter into the all time #1 slot :)

Archived