joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I should say horrific after a mostly snowless and warm winter and an above average March.

I can think of a lot of not nice words to describe the winter we just had (forgettable probably tops the list), but snowless is not one of them. There were plenty of snowfalls, they didn't last long due to the frequent thaws. Sans big dog, this is the kind of winter some wanted when we were buried the last few years. Get a snowstorm, watch it melt, wash rinse repeat. Without any official data, DTW only 6" below normal, and a very north to south gradient winter, I'd say everyone in the metro area north of Detroit had an average-ish snow season, with above to even well above average from the far northern suburbs into flint. Cold and snowcover may not be the popular choice for weather junkies who like it active, but its a huge part of what makes or breaks a MI winter whether you love it or hate it. Guarantee people in Flint could have seen 30" less snow than they did this year but if it was cold and constantly white they would call it a much much more severe winter than this one was.

Even with the 2-4" they currently have in their forecast I would have issued a SWS. OB is right. A scary segment of the population is oblivious to the fact that it can snow in April. This is going to catch people by surprise.

The city won't be ready for it and a lot of people have taken snow tires off already. Should be fun.

It looks like the best omega coincides with an area near -10c so there is good reason to believe that the mean ratio is above 10:1. The fact that this occurs at night also helps.

It's been superseded by the short range models but the 12z GFS came in juicier too.

I like your call of 4-6". I'll go with it as well although given trends lately it may end up being a bit conservative.

I dug up some April snow data at YYZ. Were in relatively rare territory.

4"+ events since 1970

4/2/05-4/3/05: 6.4"

4/3/96-4/4/96: 5.5"

4/6/94: 4.2"

4/8/79-4/9/79: 6.5"

4/25/76-4/26/76: 6.1"

4/2/75-4/3/75: 9.9"

I dug up some April snow data at YYZ. Were in relatively rare territory.

4"+ events since 1970

4/2/05-4/3/05: 6.4"

4/3/96-4/4/96: 5.5"

4/6/94: 4.2"

4/8/79-4/9/79: 6.5"

4/25/76-4/26/76: 6.1"

4/2/75-4/3/75: 9.9"

Cant speak to most of them except for the 2005 event. That was a phantom snowstorm. That 6.4" of snow never actually accumulated more than 1/2" at any one time.

This will actually be a powdery snow that'll not only actually accumulate, blow and drift a bit. So assuming the 1996 event actually legitimately accumulated, we're going to witness something that hasn't happened in 20 years! :)

Cant speak to most of them except for the 2005 event. That was a phantom snowstorm. That 6.4" of snow never actually accumulated more than 1/2" at any one time.

This will actually be a powdery snow that'll not only actually accumulate, blow and drift a bit. So assuming the 1996 event actually legitimately accumulated, we're going to witness something that hasn't happened in 20 years! :)

Interesting... I don't remember that event. Thanks for the insight.

Archived