CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll never forget April fool's day 2002.  We picked up about 3-4" of snow from a clipper that way overachieved.  We were only forecast to get a bit of snow in the morning, and then warm up to near 50 in the afternoon.  We became stuck under an intense band of snow for several hours, and even had some claps of thunder for a time right before it quit in the afternoon.  Talk about a busted forecast.  The cool thing about that day though was the tremendous contrast in weather and conditions across Iowa.  We had the snow in eastern IA, but temps in southwest Iowa broke 80 that day!

I remember that day.  We were forecast to get up to 60F that afternoon but we only stayed in the mid 30s the entire time.  Extreme southwestern Iowa hit 82F that day, while Cedar Rapids was at 35F at the time.

mesonet_2300.gif

That's crazy looking for early April, Bo!

I've seen it snow like that in the spring, but in Colorado.

I don't think that's the last snow either of us will have.

Yeah, probably one of the "nastiest" April days I've seen. Wind really on the increase and the snow along the ridge has not let up, if anything gotten a little heavier again. Over 7" and blowing around.

That was from the April 2003 ice storm, right?

Yes sir. It was three days straight of ice with a 6" snowstorm to cap it off on day 4 or 5 can't remember. Some spots around here didn't have power for up to 10 days. I remember this area was infested with different electrical companies from all over the Midwest to restore power.

April 2003 is the only thing that comes to mind.

The ice storm followed by snowstorm in April 2003 is unmatched imo. The April 4th ice storm hit further north much harder than here, but icicles stayed on everything all day the next day. Then the snowstorm a few days later (while hundreds of thousands still had no power) occurred with temps in the 20s so the 4-6" that fell needed plowing. The April 2005 and 2009 snowstorms were more impressive in total snowfall amounts, but I've never seen a higher impact snowstorm than April 7, 2003.

Archived