joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 23-24 System

RyanDe680

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost power at my parents' house for about 5 minutes. Hearing reports of scattered power outages across Toronto. And that was with maybe 0.1-0.2" of ice accrual. Thank goodness the models were so wrong re: QPF otherwise this could have been another disaster. Still below freezing at YYZ with a bit of T/D spread to spare.

Easily the heaviest snowfall intensity of the season today.  Rain transition to snow very quickly around 1:30.  Within 10 minutes it was pouring extremely large composite flakes.  Some of them had to be pushing 1.5" wide.  Extremely large flake stage quickly phased into much smaller flakes, but visibility plummeted to well under 1/4 mile for a time.  Picked up about an inch of extremely wet snow in grassy areas in less than an hour.  If it could have snowed another 3-4hrs we would have had a solid warning criteria event.  Kind of a nice sendoff to winter I guess.

Before that we had a few thunderstorms around mid-morning with quite a bit of lightning.  Between that and the storm late last evening it was a solid setup for boomers.  Picked up 0.90" rain total. 

You can really tell how much the grass has greened up.  The snow contrasts with the dark green quite noticeably.

It seems the snow band was a bit hit and miss.  La Crosse and Green Bay didn't get nearly as much as expected, but there are 11-12 inch totals in nw Iowa and a spot near Sioux City is reporting 17 inches.

It appears Cedar Rapids won't see a flake out of this.  For days all the models had a modest band of backwash snow moving across Iowa this morning, but the system's structure really deteriorated and the defo zone snow vanished.

I haven't even seen another drop of rain since midnight.

Pointed out many times in the past how Sioux City seems to always be in the cross-hairs for big events.  Severe included.

Still haven't gone above freezing since midnight last night. Moderate freezing rain right now, about 10-12mm accretion but have avoided power issues this far.

The next few hours are going to cause problems across the GTA. -0.3/-1.6c at YYZ with a NE wind. -2.1/-3.5c at Buttonville as the ZR closes in.

Hearing reports of accretion in waterloo with a temp of -0.4c and nearly 100% humidity.

The next few hours are going to cause problems across the GTA. -0.3/-1.6c at YYZ with a NE wind. -2.1/-3.5c at Buttonville as the ZR closes in.

Hearing reports of accretion in waterloo with a temp of -0.4c and nearly 100% humidity.

Yes, the cold air has held on much longer than anticipated. Have to wonder if there will be any power outages overnight if this keeps up. Plus, it's not forecast to get all that warm tomorrow.

I don't think I've ever seen straight line winds that look that intense, however I know they happen as they do somewhere in the state at least once a year. I also cannot spot the debris that would indicate a tornadic circulation that SchaumburgStormer was talking about. Could this be a microburst?

Edit: Now I see some smaller pieces of debris way in the back that appear to be moving right to left, but it's still hard to tell.

I don't think I've ever seen straight line winds that look that intense, however I know they happen as they do somewhere in the state at least once a year. I also cannot spot the debris that would indicate a tornadic circulation that SchaumburgStormer was talking about. Could this be a microburst?

Edit: Now I see some smaller pieces of debris way in the back that appear to be moving right to left, but it's still hard to tell.

Not likely imo. Those are usually associated with a collapsing storm cell.

Archived