• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow to ice to wind driven rain discussion/obs 2/23-2/25 SNE CNE NNE

Ginx snewx

Multiple model agreement for a front end thump of snow overspreading SNE CNE NNE followed by ice in favored locales which could linger. Depending on the model anywhere from 2 to as much as 6 inches could fall prior to glazing. This will be quickly followed by driving windswept rain and wind, after frontal passage NNE could be flip back to snow with significant accumulations in favored upslope regions.

From BOX

ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF A COATING TO 2 INCHES. THIS
WILL BE FOLLOWED BY AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN WITH
ICE ACCRETION OF A FEW HUNDREDTHS TO FIFTEEN HUNDREDTHS OF AN
INCH IN MOST LOCATIONS. SOME LOCALIZED AREAS ALONG THE EAST
SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES AND HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE NORTHERN
WORCESTER HILLS MAY SEE ICE ACCRETION APPROACH ONE QUARTER OF AN
INCH.

* TIMING...SNOW IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE REGION BETWEEN 5 AND
9 PM TUESDAY EVENING. THE SNOW IS THEN EXPECTED TO MIX WITH
SLEET LATE TUESDAY EVENING BEFORE CHANGING TO ALL FREEZING RAIN
AFTER MIDNIGHT. POCKETS OF FREEZING RAIN WILL THEN PERSIST
THROUGH AT LEAST WEDNESDAY MORNING IF NOT INTO THE AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...UNTREATED ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW AND ICE COVERED
TUESDAY NIGHT AND PERSIST INTO AT LEAST WEDNESDAY MORNING. THE
WEDNESDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR IS LIKELY TO BE IMPACTED WITH
HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.

* POSSIBLE EXPANSION OF WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY...THIS WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY MAY NEED TO BE EXPANDED INTO NORTHERN
CONNECTICUT...NORTHWEST RHODE ISLAND AND INTERIOR NORTHEAST
MASSACHUSETTS AS THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR A PERIOD OF FREEZING
RAIN IN THESE LOCATIONS AS WELL TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY
MORNING.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just excerpted this segment for Northern Ct into interior Ma.   If this comes to pass, we may see up to 12 hrs or more near to below freezing, which could certainly create havoc with the Wed morning rush:

"..Temperatures will likely hold near or just below
freezing across interior Massachusetts and northern CT into at least
Wednesday morning. This should result in an extended period of
freezing rain into Wednesday morning if not into the afternoon in
some locales. .."

Advisories already up for central Ma, and will probably extend down into northern Ct later on.

18z RGEM p-type:

*Caveat being this model was a hard fail last event when it was showing 4-7" from BTV to LCI. Wasn't even close really.

image.png

Recent bias confirmation aside I especially like the RGEM inside 24 for low level CAD. Last event the max ended up over in Lincoln NH at Loon but many areas like Jay also had more than it forecasted.

Recent bias confirmation aside I especially like the RGEM inside 24 for low level CAD. Last event the max ended up over in Lincoln NH at Loon but many areas like Jay also had more than it forecasted.

What did they have at Loon? We did have 9" and Jay had 16" over the weekend...I wasn't paying attention, did they get crushed?

I know even Will said something about the RGEM having a rough go of it recently.  We'll see, I really hope its right as its got 0.25-0.5" of QPF as snow up here on the front end.  I'd hit that any day.

This was the past event within 24 hours... looks like it did well at Stowe/Jay/Loon, but lower elevations and BTV, Lakes Region of NH, not so much.

What did they have at Loon? We did have 9" and Jay had 16" over the weekend...I wasn't paying attention, did they get crushed?

I know even Will said something about the RGEM having a rough go of it recently.  We'll see, I really hope its right as its got 0.25-0.5" of QPF as snow up here on the front end.  I'd hit that any day.

This was the past event within 24 hours... looks like it did well at Stowe/Jay/Loon, but lower elevations and BTV, Lakes Region of NH, not so much.

attachicon.gifrgem_snow_acc_neng_9.png

Report was 5-6" which seemed accurate across most of the mountain, but there were definitely some spots on the upper mountain where there was more. My first run down an untracked Flume had to have had close to 10" piled up on it.

Archived