• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
#PD3Attempt#13since2003 -Tracking the threat of the Presidents day storm Feb 15-16 2016

Ji

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is one of those days where I wished the euro had an 18z run

FYP

I'll go with blip until there's more company. Weird run.

Even with all the divergence and run to run inconsistency, I'm not sure we're in a different place than we were 24-36 hours ago in terms of an over/under for snow.  I'd say 2" is still a good over/under for DC proper in terms of front end.  I'd probably take the over, but I might be weenie-ing out more than I should.  

I'm sure somebody said it in the late hours of Jan 23rd, 2016 in NYC, no? ;)

But the original post has been deleted. Ian was fair enough.

I didn't delete it but proclaiming a model that sucks at this stuff as winning 3-4 days out seems premature.

Even with all the divergence and run to run inconsistency, I'm not sure we're in a different place than we were 24-36 hours ago in terms of an over/under for snow.  I'd say 2" is still a good over/under for DC proper in terms of front end.  I'd probably take the over, but I might be weenie-ing out more than I should.  

Yeah, seems about right. I feel like I've devoted too much time to it whatever happens at this point.

Para euro is similar track to the op in our parts but heads right up to the ny/VT border. In general it's east of the op but the only difference for us is better front end stuff. 2" line just east of 95 and 5" in FDK. DC gets 2.5" but the zoomed panels aren't in yet so that could be inaccurate.

Kinda like the euro ens mean. The track to the lakes is definitely questionable on the op.

Kinda like the euro ens mean. The track to the lakes is definitely questionable on the op.

They don't diverge much until d3-4 from what I've seen and even then it's not world's apart. Makes sense. The new euro is mostly a resolution upgrade from what I've read and not groundbreaking new physics and stuff.

I wonder if the high resolution is going to cause more jumpiness in the later periods. Seemed to with the gfs when it was upgraded. But we shouldn't be using ops as skilled tools d6+ anyways.

It's so muddy it's hard to tell. Seems like it's improved for snow in the metros.

As far as strength and track goes...I can't really tell. Seems like an equal split of rainy strong and colder weak. I'm at a loss...

Looked like 2 or 3 that lined up better with the euro.

I want a wet bomb. I'm making no secret of it. Even if we flip but don't warm more than 30's it would be a tough battle to melt all of a good thump.

Looked like 2 or 3 that lined up better with the euro.

I want a wet bomb. I'm making no secret of it. Even if we flip but don't warm more than 30's it would be a tough battle to melt all of a good thump.

There was 1 suppressed at 12z.  It's a major shift if half of them are now.

Last time I saw a 28.90 in Ohio valley was 1978 I think so the roaring monster to our west always was a bad idea

The arctic high will be leaving but that 1030 in western lakes seems to want to exert ese and thst will continue a push east of the low. I do not believe we can stay all snow but right now I think the low will go right over DC

After a second look there is definitely a marked increase in the weaker/souther/easter solutions. The plot thickens.

Whatever happened to 18z may have impacted ens as well. Until 0z shows the same not sure any of it matters too much.

Last time I saw a 28.90 in Ohio valley was 1978 I think so the roaring monster to our west always was a bad idea

The arctic high will be leaving but that 1030 in western lakes seems to want to exert ese and thst will continue a push east of the low. I do not believe we can stay all snow but right now I think the low will go right over DC

If you're referring to the Ohio Blizzard/Cleveland Superbomb of Jan. 26-27, 1978...that set low pressure records across the state of OH (and elsewhere) as it moved north from the Gulf states, to the Ohio River, to essentially right over Cleveland, and on up north into Canada.  In many cases, it blew away the previous records.  KCLE's pressure was officially 28.28 inches (~957 mb) as that bomb went overhead.  That number is indelibly imprinted in my mind, as I was there at the time.  I believe that still stands as the 2nd(?) lowest pressure recorded in the CONUS from a non-tropical storm.

Whatever happened to 18z may have impacted ens as well. Until 0z shows the same not sure any of it matters too much.

Every once in a blue moon 18z gfs is a trendsetter. I can't remember which storm last year or maybe 14 but 18z gfs pulled the rug and we were all trying to toss it until 0z confirmed it. In this case it isn't a rug puller for us city and burbs folks.

With that being said the run was pretty suspect and out of the blue. I'll gladly take the 3" the euro twin gave me and pad some stats.

Archived