Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

It was due.

Wasn't the winter of 2013-2014 one of the coldest and snowiest in history? I think that bank was already cashed out.

Yeah it was a really good winter to be sure.  However, even that managed to be frustrating as we failed to get a single warning criteria snow while northeast IL (and other areas) cashed in on numerous ones.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it wasn't for winter, this forum wouldn't exist. Have you ever noticed that AmWx spams model discounts and other promotions around November? That's because 75% of this forum is made up with snow weenies. Take a trip over to the New England sub-forum. There are a lot more skiers, snowboarders and other winter sports fans who root on winter for their hobby.

We went almost 3 days without a single post in GL/OV during the summer.

Also, criticizing posters for being happy with a winter pattern, during winter -- is silly.

Yeah

I like hearing about what people do, and why the sensible weather matters for their professions and their hobbies, and why us amateurs feel compelled to go beyond "see what's in the P&C for the next couple of days", and for us and for pro mets how that matches with scientific and other kinds of enthusiasm for weather & climate.

I think the banter thread is great for that stuff cuz its entertaining -- but also b/c it helps me reckon the kind of topics ppl are likely to really have built a knowledge base about

also the kind of wishcasting they do lmao

Fire and alpine climbing were reasons I started paying attention.

I'm going to lock in the snowfall futility title for Toronto in 2015-16. 3rd mother****ing time this has happened in 7 winters. And just like 2011-12 blew 2009-10 away in terms of the margin of defeat, 2015-16 will do likewise to 2011-12.

I'm hoping academics in the field of climatology are starting to investigate this because I would be fascinated to find out what is causing this snow shadow. At this point, chalking it up to bad luck seems disingenuous.

I'm going to lock in the snowfall futility title for Toronto in 2015-16. 3rd mother****ing time this has happened in 7 winters. And just like 2011-12 blew 2009-10 away in terms of the margin of defeat, 2015-16 will do likewise to 2011-12.

I'm hoping academics in the field of climatology are starting to investigate this because I would be fascinated to find out what is causing this snow shadow. At this point, chalking it up to bad luck seems disingenuous.

Warmer Lk Eire

There's a reason we only average low 30s for snowfall here.  For every 45 inch season there is a 20 inch clunker to balance it out.  I began keeping precip records nine seasons ago.  Of those nine winters, four have been well above average, three near average, and, including the current winter, two clunkers.

Regarding the summer forum lull, I am always around all year, posting my observations.  One of these springs we are bound to have a big severe season.  Big spring/early summer rain events have been common here in recent years, but severe has really been lacking.

There's a reason we only average low 30s for snowfall here.  For every 45 inch season there is a 20 inch clunker to balance it out.  I began keeping precip records nine seasons ago.  Of those nine winters, four have been well above average, three near average, and, including the current winter, two clunkers.

Regarding the summer forum lull, I am always around all year, posting my observations.  One of these springs we are bound to have a big severe season.  Big spring/early summer rain events have been common here in recent years, but severe has really been lacking.

There's a few us that post all year

Looked at the most recent NAM run...and shocker, the West Michigan Anti-Synoptic Snow Shield is up yet again. I hate this $@$^$#% winter.

You should grind out at least an inch over the next few days.

If your goal is simply seeing flakes in the air and maintaining/growing whatever snowcover you have, there's that.

This winter is really turning out to be similar to 1997-98 in Columbus, Toledo, and possibly Detroit. In 1997-98 there was 10" in Columbus, compared to an average of 26.7" for the 1981-2010 period. There may have been about 12" in Toledo that horrid winter, compared to an average of 37.6".

Archived