joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-2015 Winter Sports thread

Jonger

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had someone proudly describe their cabin in Oscoda a few weeks ago, I couldn't help myself from asking about how poor the snow is there. The guy acknowledged that shortfall. To me it wasn't a shortfall, it was a deal-killer. I'd sell the thing faster than the ad could be listed on Trulia.com.

My cottage in Antrim Cnty is about to hit the market. We are settling on the Irish Hills. It's beautiful, peaceful and closer. Not everyone moves up north for snow, as you try to imply.

Can't wait till I can move north. My wife has a slam dunk job opportunity in Sault Saint Marie, but I don't think there are enough seafood eaters up that way to move my business there. It's not really my ideal spot, but being close to the Canadian border, the most beautiful spot in the midwest.... it's tempting.

This would be like 30 mins from my house. The problem is that I would rather have my house here, than the city of SSM.

attachicon.gifOntario.jpg

Yea the Soo doesnt get the most snow a decent amount but you would certainly be close drive to great riding. I moved as far north as my wife would let me. I woudl of perferred to be in the UP but happy where I ended up.

Typically the wife is the one who needs the city crap to be close by. I'm in the same camp.

Funny...my wife and I have been having a terrible fight this weekend about just this thing. I want to move up north...she refuses to go any farther north than the Muskegon area.

We're looking to go to the north woods of WI for retirement, hopefully in 10-15 years. Depending on finances, we may try to buy a place there (and buy a couple of snowmobiles) in a few years, when the kids are a bit older.

It would be at least as far north as minocqua. I love that area (a lot of lakes around there), but the one negative is that minocqua itself is not quite in the lake snow belt. Need to go about 30-50 miles NW to get into the more reliable snow. Minocqua averages about 70" per season, and it's inland enough to get some extreme cold, which I like. In February 1996, they hit -45. Normals are around 20/0 in January and 30/10 in December and February.

We're looking to go to the north woods of WI for retirement, hopefully in 10-15 years. Depending on finances, we may try to buy a place there (and buy a couple of snowmobiles) in a few years, when the kids are a bit older.

It would be at least as far north as minocqua. I love that area (a lot of lakes around there), but the one negative is that minocqua itself is not quite in the lake snow belt. Need to go about 30-50 miles NW to get into the more reliable snow. Minocqua averages about 70" per season, and it's inland enough to get some extreme cold, which I like. In February 1996, they hit -45. Normals are around 20/0 in January and 30/10 in December and February.

Sounds like an awesome place! 

Yeah, there is something about the north woods that is magical to me - all of the lakes and black spruce trees.  Plus, a lot more peaceful than the Chicago suburbs. :)

That's why I moved up here, I am just fortunate enough to be able to live full time up here.  We will probably buy a condo in Florida or somewhere similar down the road so we can get the best of both worlds.

We did a nice 200 mile ride Saturday. The trails we rode were great for the most part but got a little rough for a bit as we got near Cadillac. We rode from Higgins Lake over to Mesick down to Cadillac up to Lake City and back to Higgins. Lots of ditch banging and some road riding to get over to Mesick. Them hills south of Mesick and around Boon had some really good snow in the them. Northern Lower MI has a really good snow pack right now.

Looking like it's going to be to cold this weekend to be outside much. Kind of a bummer with the timing of this cold snap for my family, this weekend is the winter carnival up at Higgins Lake. They have a bunch of stuff for the kids to do but when it's that cold out it makes it hard to be out in it for very long. If I remember right this will be the 3rd year in a row that it's been really cold for Presidents weekend.

Snow belts getting deeper. Jonger should be in heaven with the arctic air moving in.  Shoreline counties will see in excess of another foot Fri/sat.

attachicon.gifssm_depth_2016021116_0_600_450__13398_4791__12788_5605_dem_shading_ik_m_1_0_0_1_0_0.pngattachicon.giflegend_ssm_depth_dem_152_402_0_1_0_1_0_0.png

I'll be thinking of that while I'm sitting in the 75 degree weather, sunning my white bird legs. 

The entire 45 mile stretch of m-28 is closed from munising to Marquette. The sherrif dept is trying to clear the road of stranded people and cars. The sled trail jonger is on runs right along the road. He picked a terrible day to cross the UP.

We are in Marquette now... making the 125 mile push to Houghton. It's -1F and windy.

Archived