joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-2015 Winter Sports thread

Jonger

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we might have something to post about in ~10 days.

Clipper express should cover the trails, slopes and whatever recreational hotspots are in the midwest.

We shall see, certainly looking better for LES in the coming weeks.  Hopefully we can get the cold air and sufficient moisture . Looks like it may be snowing during Xmas week and New Years. Normally this time of year the snow we have is melting or pretty stale, wont be the case this year.

for you Jonger! Book your trip now. I know John Dee's rep isn't the greatest because of hyping UP snow in the past but he has gone real conservative the past 2 seasons, even coming in under on snow a lot of the time. I like what he is thinking here. Should be an epic Christmas time in the UP and a lot of the Great lakes!

That idea calls for accumulating snows to start in the northern Midwest later Sunday night or Monday and then expand into the rest of the region by the end of the week, as a surge of arctic air dumps in.

The heaviest snows look most certain for most of the UP and into north central and NE WI. However, depending on how the phasing plays out, some 8”+ totals would be possible for much of WI and the northern ½ of lower MI.

LES will kick into gear enhancing the snow in the UP Thursday into Friday and Saturday and could push snow totals over 24” in the UP LES belts from Monday through Friday.

John Dee loves the "UP" LES belts. I feel he forgets to mention the lower MI belts way to often like in the forcast he put out today. He says "LES will kick into gear enhancing the snow in the UP Thursday into Friday and Saturday and could push snow totals over 24” in the UP LES belts from Monday through Friday" Will the lower belts not get LES also during this time? We'll be up for 10 days between Christmas and New Years both at our place in northern lower and up near White Fish Point in the UP so it's looking like we'll have some snow to play in. :sled:

for you Jonger! Book your trip now. I know John Dee's rep isn't the greatest because of hyping UP snow in the past but he has gone real conservative the past 2 seasons, even coming in under on snow a lot of the time. I like what he is thinking here. Should be an epic Christmas time in the UP and a lot of the Great lakes!

That idea calls for accumulating snows to start in the northern Midwest later Sunday night or Monday and then expand into the rest of the region by the end of the week, as a surge of arctic air dumps in.

The heaviest snows look most certain for most of the UP and into north central and NE WI. However, depending on how the phasing plays out, some 8”+ totals would be possible for much of WI and the northern ½ of lower MI.

LES will kick into gear enhancing the snow in the UP Thursday into Friday and Saturday and could push snow totals over 24” in the UP LES belts from Monday through Friday.

attachicon.gif5-10.gif

I'm already hyping up my riding partner for this one, if he can't go.. I'll go solo. I'd like to see Kalkaska get something from this, I would possibly stay in Charlevoix overnight. The fact its on the holiday itself is kind of a bummer, would rather see this hit a few days earlier. Won't matter, it's not going to melt.

John Dee loves the "UP" LES belts. I feel he forgets to mention the lower MI belts way to often like in the forcast he put out today. He says "LES will kick into gear enhancing the snow in the UP Thursday into Friday and Saturday and could push snow totals over 24” in the UP LES belts from Monday through Friday" Will the lower belts not get LES also during this time? We'll be up for 10 days between Christmas and New Years both at our place in northern lower and up near White Fish Point in the UP so it's looking like we'll have some snow to play in. :sled:

He gives very generalized forecasts to all areas outside the UP. His website is a very Wisconsin/Illinois heavy crowd, their closest lake belt and reliable snow location is the UP. Very few SE Michigan posters, but lots of posters from the areas I mentioned. Johndee is a hero to Chicago posters, he escaped the wrong side of the lake and moved to the closest dream location they could find.

He gives very generalized forecasts to all areas outside the UP. His website is a very Wisconsin/Illinois heavy crowd, their closest lake belt and reliable snow location is the UP. Very few SE Michigan posters, but lots of posters from the areas I mentioned. Johndee is a hero to Chicago posters, he escaped the wrong side of the lake and moved to the closest dream location they could find.

In my opinion John Dee focuses 95% on the UP snowbelts which is understandable since he is in the Keweenaw area.  He really does "generalize" all other belts. NWL usually does much better then his maps show. Take those maps with a grain of salt like any other weather forecast.  Its winter, and cold, snow will fall up here, actually in a pretty good spot going into the last week of December. I do wish we did not lose all our snow from November, but that was a crapshoot at best especially so early in the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone looking for good snow to play in head up here north of M28. Lots of snow and dumping hard up here north of Paradise. You snowmobilers looking for a place to ride, head north.

Glad you're enjoying the UP. I think there's a reason hwy 28/41 went in where it did. you get north of it and snow stays deep. I have had a great Winter and it's hard to relate to those who haven't had much, even tho locally where I'm at , we're nearly 15" behind for the month. I got no complaints as my snow depth is 27"

have fun and be safe Jonger... lots and lots of snow up this way. I heard it's been especially bad (or good) in the Keweenaw the past 2 days.

you going to be up this way for the weekend snows?

I'm going to be up from Friday through at least Monday. Not sure what the plan is, we tend to wing it.

We were in Paradise for the last couple days, excellent snow, was still snowing when we left. Woke Up Friday morning to another 7-98 inches, man I miss that at my house.

Hopefully we get some meaningful lake effect as it looks like this storm is gonna be another dud.

wow 7 to 98 inches, must have been a Hell of a gradient :P.

Archived