joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-2015 Winter Sports thread

Jonger

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome man! I've had 2 sinus infections so far this month so I haven't been able to board or ski yet this season which really sucks. I bought new Cross country skis and hoping to feel better soon. My next purchase after my house is a sled though. Can't wait!

If it's even possible... Your winter enjoyment will go up 10 fold.

Just sold my sleds. Never really got the use out of them that I originally intended.

I typically only ride a grand total of 15 days a winter and I rack up 3000 miles pretty easily. It depend on if you like to ride, or lounge around at the bar.

It blows me away how many people call themselves snowmobilers, yet never ride in the UP. Too many people sit in the traffic jam known as Gaylord.

I typically only ride a grand total of 15 days a winter and I rack up 3000 miles pretty easily. It depend on if you like to ride, or lounge around at the bar.

It blows me away how many people call themselves snowmobilers, yet never ride in the UP. Too many people sit in the traffic jam known as Gaylord.

What you tyring to say  <_<

My original call looks good, snow to rain back to snow for me, def a UP storm which I am okay with as will be up there in Feb

What you tyring to say  <_<

My original call looks good, snow to rain back to snow for me, def a UP storm which I am okay with as will be up there in Feb

The difference is that you probably know all the fire roads and off-trail spots that the southern Michiganders don't.

The difference is that you probably know all the fire roads and off-trail spots that the southern Michiganders don't.

As I said there are perks to living up here.  <_<   Last year some spots had close to 40" of untouched powder around my area but yea those areas aer hard to know and have to be careful about trespassing etc.

Yea the UP generally has better off-trail areas especially interms of snowpack. Unfortuatnely Gaylord is the epicenter for Northern Lower mainly because most downstaters and Ohio/Indiana stop in Gaylord because we do get some of the best snow for Northern Lower and it saves them 2-3 hours of dricing.  Just the way it is, we do have the snow but its never enough for the immense traffic we get. Last night we were driving to dinner and long 27 trail 7 looked like a damn roller coaster it was a damn shame.

As I said there are perks to living up here.  <_<   Last year some spots had close to 40" of untouched powder around my area but yea those areas aer hard to know and have to be careful about trespassing etc.

Yea the UP generally has better off-trail areas especially interms of snowpack. Unfortuatnely Gaylord is the epicenter for Northern Lower mainly because most downstaters and Ohio/Indiana stop in Gaylord because we do get some of the best snow for Northern Lower and it saves them 2-3 hours of dricing.  Just the way it is, we do have the snow but its never enough for the immense traffic we get. Last night we were driving to dinner and long 27 trail 7 looked like a damn roller coaster it was a damn shame.

About 2 years ago I hit that section at around 11pm after a groomer went through and it was one of the most enjoyable rides of my life. 

Should be a solid 10-18 inches of synoptic snow across the UP and into Canada.

Super hyped for it. This should take care of the last section of the 800 mile Ontario loop.

last section.jpg

With winter seemingly returning for most of Feb, if we miss this storm (we will) I want the UP to be hammered. I'm headed to Marquette in 3 weeks and snowpack is below normal as of now.

With winter seemingly returning for most of Feb, if we miss this storm (we will) I want the UP to be hammered. I'm headed to Marquette in 3 weeks and snowpack is below normal as of now.

Not surprised been below normal for most LES belts including my area, still running 25-30" below noral for snow more in the UP in certain areas.  Not suprsed with the raging Nino. 

Can't wait till I can move north. My wife has a slam dunk job opportunity in Sault Saint Marie, but I don't think there are enough seafood eaters up that way to move my business there. It's not really my ideal spot, but being close to the Canadian border, the most beautiful spot in the midwest.... it's tempting.

This would be like 30 mins from my house. The problem is that I would rather have my house here, than the city of SSM.

post-7333-0-61099100-1454261170_thumb.jp

Can't wait till I can move north. My wife has a slam dunk job opportunity in Sault Saint Marie, but I don't think there are enough seafood eaters up that way to move my business there. It's not really my ideal spot, but being close to the Canadian border, but the most beautiful spot in the midwest.... it's tempting.

This would be like 30 mins from my house. The problem is that I would rather have my house here, than the city of SSM.

attachicon.gifOntario.jpg

Yea the Soo doesnt get the most snow a decent amount but you would certainly be close drive to great riding. I moved as far north as my wife would let me. I woudl of perferred to be in the UP but happy where I ended up.

Went through the UP many times

Yea the Soo doesnt get the most snow a decent amount but you would certainly be close drive to great riding. I moved as far north as my wife would let me. I woudl of perferred to be in the UP but happy where I ended up.

Typically the wife is the one who needs the city crap to be close by. I'm in the same camp.

Typically the wife is the one who needs the city crap to be close by. I'm in the same camp.

Why not buy a cottage or land then? Crazy deal almost everywhere in the state. I'm thinking about selling my house in Antrim Cnty and buying something in the Irish Hills. Super beautiful and closer to home.

Not surprised been below normal for most LES belts including my area, still running 25-30" below noral for snow more in the UP in certain areas.  Not suprsed with the raging Nino. 

With our tremendous downstate snowpack the last 2 winters, i havent even given the UP a thought in 3 years (used to be an annual winter trip). With a subpar (albeit expected) winter this year, I have been looking forward to my trip, and really hoping they build up the pack. When I go up there is not just to see snow, I can see that here...its to see a SH*TLOAD of snow :lol:

Yes, have pleanty of room for a ice rink, my problem is I have a bad right knee and skating is hard on it, it hurts sledding to but I deal with it for that. 

That would be awesome, you can play goalie so you won't have to hurt the knee to much. I'll bring the net. Will get a nice game of oldschool outdoor hockey like I used to play as a kid.

With our tremendous downstate snowpack the last 2 winters, i havent even given the UP a thought in 3 years (used to be an annual winter trip). With a subpar (albeit expected) winter this year, I have been looking forward to my trip, and really hoping they build up the pack. When I go up there is not just to see snow, I can see that here...its to see a SH*TLOAD of snow :lol:

You guys have had a pretty good couple years down there thats for sure, but normal years <50" a year just isn't the same compared to 150"+ a year. Seeing 40"+ snowpacks is a great sight. 

You guys have had a pretty good couple years down there thats for sure, but normal years <50" a year just isn't the same compared to 150"+ a year. Seeing 40"+ snowpacks is a great sight. 

I know, thats why I wait til mid-late winter when the snowpack has had a chance to build up. Its really interesting how, especially the last decade of so, winter down here has been filled with more snowstorms and even snowpack than the non-snowbelt portions of northern MI. But the lakes never fail the belts. Some years better than others of course, but they never are a total fail. As a snowlover, I cannot fathom living in a non-snowbelt area of northern MI when the good are so close.

I know, thats why I wait til mid-late winter when the snowpack has had a chance to build up. Its really interesting how, especially the last decade of so, winter down here has been filled with more snowstorms and even snowpack than the non-snowbelt portions of northern MI. But the lakes never fail the belts. Some years better than others of course, but they never are a total fail. As a snowlover, I cannot fathom living in a non-snowbelt area of northern MI when the good are so close.

Had someone proudly describe their cabin in Oscoda a few weeks ago, I couldn't help myself from asking about how poor the snow is there. The guy acknowledged that shortfall. To me it wasn't a shortfall, it was a deal-killer. I'd sell the thing faster than the ad could be listed on Trulia.com.

I couldn't imagine living 40-60 miles west of me and only getting 50-60" a year. 

Archived