• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014-2015 Winter Sports thread

Jonger

Everyone who I ride with has concluded that the season is most likely over. We couldn't go this weekend and next weekend looks awful well up into Canada.

Unless a spring storm hits and gives us a day or two of riding, it's done.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that's trail 4 which is pretty close to my house, which is usually the first trail to get chewed up from traffic and the sun, it was actually in pretty decent condition. Once you get in the woods it was even better. Now - Weekend will probably be it for the season so if your going to ride at least around my area better do it now.

We ended up riding that trail Yesterday, We rode 160 miles this weekend, overall it was pretty darn good. Great way to close out the season.

We ended up riding that trail Yesterday, We rode 160 miles this weekend, overall it was pretty darn good. Great way to close out the season.The 

The trails really began taking a hit Saturday afternoon which was expected. Today they are all mud with the rain last night and warm temps, season is done we can hopefully close the books on this season or lack of however you want to look at it.

• 2 weeks later...

EURO = Snowmobile Party north of Grand Rapids on the trails for Jonger Thursday Night and Friday.

GFS    = Staying home watching house of cards

Nam    = Snowmobiling Party in Grayling - Gaylord Thur night & Friday.

Worst timing for this storm, where was this at in Jan-Feb? I was hoping this would stay well south as I have to drive my wife to Grand Rapids for her medical boards :cry: . 

Damn thing might be too far north. I'm not towing more than 200 miles for 24hrs of riding.

The current euro would be fine, but the GFS is not.

Damn thing might be too far north. I'm not towing more than 200 miles for 24hrs of riding.

The current euro would be fine, but the GFS is not.

Latest GFS still showing a decent hit for Northern, still potential for mixing and low ratio to cut down totals but whatever falls will be concrete.

gfs_asnow_ncus_12.png

I know the sledders are itching for one more hit but I am hoping the majority of the moisture pushes more North as the NAM is showing for selfish reasons.

I'd drive to Gaylord. If you want to ride Friday, let me know.

If it's possible

I'd drive to Gaylord. If you want to ride Friday, let me know.

If it's possible

Thanks for the offer would love too, but will be in Grand Rapids Friday/Saturday. 8-10" of cement may be enough for one last ride but trails are dirt/dry and mostly unfrozen so if your gonna ride better be one of the firsts on them wont last long.

Perhaps next season we can meet up a day or so at my place and ride.

If the GFS isn't smoking too much crack in the long range, there may be some good snows north of ~44N in early April, for the winter enthusiasts holding out hope for one last thrill.  An insane -EPO is progged, and has shown up for a few runs...so there may be some merit to it.  Need to get it within 6-8 days, though.

Kind of obnoxious if we get a pattern like that in April instead of DJF - but if anything, it would be very anomalous and potentially interesting.  When you cook up baroclinic zones like that in early April, strange things can happen.  See April 1982.

If the GFS isn't smoking too much crack in the long range, there may be some good snows north of ~44N in early April, for the winter enthusiasts holding out hope for one last thrill.  An insane -EPO is progged, and has shown up for a few runs...so there may be some merit to it.  Need to get it within 6-8 days, though.

Kind of obnoxious if we get a pattern like that in April instead of DJF - but if anything, it would be very anomalous and potentially interesting.  When you cook up baroclinic zones like that in early April, strange things can happen.  See April 1982.

I noticed the same thing on the GFS, some pretty cold arctic air still up in Canada may swing down per GFS, could mean some storm potential and even LES given how warm the lakes still are pretty crazy considering we are talking about April.  Then again it is the GFS and were talking 300 hrs out still.

Thanks for the offer would love too, but will be in Grand Rapids Friday/Saturday. 8-10" of cement may be enough for one last ride but trails are dirt/dry and mostly unfrozen so if your gonna ride better be one of the firsts on them wont last long.

Perhaps next season we can meet up a day or so at my place and ride.

We are going to make a decision Thursday morning. We have a cottage on Higgins lake to stay at forThursday night and will tow Friday morning to the northern Michigan jackpot if it's worth it. If there isn't at least 10+ inches (ideally 12+) in any area of northern lower, we might not bother at all.

We are going to make a decision Thursday morning. We have a cottage on Higgins lake to stay at forThursday night and will tow Friday morning to the northern Michigan jackpot if it's worth it. If there isn't at least 10+ inches (ideally 12+) in any area of northern lower, we might not bother at all.

If there's going to be enough snow we'll be riding out of Higgins Friday also. We'll be heading north and west out to Blue Bear/M72 area more then likely for lunch taking two tracks, gas and power lines boon docking. If your interested in something like that let me know Jonger.

If there's going to be enough snow we'll be riding out of Higgins Friday also. We'll be heading north and west out to Blue Bear/M72 area more then likely for lunch taking two tracks, gas and power lines boon docking. If your interested in something like that let me know Jonger.

I know exactly where you are talking about. There is a trail-head on 72 near Blue Bear... Based out of that lot a few times.

NWS out of Gaylord is only calling for 5-8" at most for the majority of there area. TWC are saying 12"+ for the same area. Who's smoking what? Are we looking at something in between?

The NWS is being pretty conservative because of the very low ratio for snow and potential for mixing with Sleet, etc. I think a 6-10 is a good bet with a few areas pushing 12"

NWS out of Gaylord is only calling for 5-8" at most for the majority of there area. TWC are saying 12"+ for the same area. Who's smoking what? Are we looking at something in between?

Almost every storm this season has been upgraded in nowcast mode. They know the general public will be more open to increasing the amounts as things progress.

Someone in northern Lower is getting 12-18... Put that in the bank.

On average, sure.... 6-10 is a good call.

Then again, I don't trailer to the average, I go to the jackpot!~

Headed up tomorrow afternoon to ride all day friday... We sleep in Higgins Lake and then trailer around 6am Friday to anywhere that gets 10+..... hopefully someone gets more than 12+.

NWS seems to think 13+ is definitely on the table.

We rode most of the day yesterday, almost 100 miles. Rode from Higgins taking 2tracks and gas lines to north of M72 to the east Blue Bear loop and back down. The little bit of groomed trails we did ride were pretty much junk, off trail riding was pretty good. Snow was melting fast in the afternoon. Lot of sleds out riding, surprised at how many to be honest. About 8-9" of snow pretty much everywhere we we at.

We rode most of the day yesterday, almost 100 miles. Rode from Higgins taking 2tracks and gas lines to north of M72 to the east Blue Bear loop and back down. The little bit of groomed trails we did ride were pretty much junk, off trail riding was pretty good. Snow was melting fast in the afternoon. Lot of sleds out riding, surprised at how many to be honest. About 8-9" of snow pretty much everywhere we we at.

We rode out of Higgins too.

Wow Jonger, you guy's really put some miles on yesterday considering the conditions. The NWS out of Gaylord did a good job forecasting this storm I feel. Way better than the TWC. How could the models and some forecasts call for 12-18" to only have 1/2 that fall.

Yea, they did a great job. I had a jackpot total in the 12-18" range and the jackpot I believe was 13 inches in Cheboygan.

Archived