Toothache
2014-2015 Winter Sports thread

Jonger

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man you are hardcore!

-4 and snowing/blowing here.

Drinking some dirty bastard and snug by a fire.

We got lost as f-ck near the Eagle Mine re-route. FU to the Huron Mountain club digging a 10 foot pit and blocking off a trail that through my GPS for a loop.

Side note, was about 4 to 5 feet deep there.

We got lost as f-ck near the Eagle Mine re-route. FU to the Huron Mountain club digging a 10 foot pit and blocking off a trail that through my GPS for a loop.

Side note, was about 4 to 5 feet deep there.

I'm only 10 miles from the mine.  I actually got lost on my quad around that area in September, and the dirt track I was on kept getting narrower and narrower and the woods closing in and closing in, then boom it ended after 8 miles.  I was low on gas, it was getting dark and I was alone.  I got pretty nervous.  From Negaunee to Skanee and north, I've found some sweet places off the beaten path.

Snow way to deep for anything but shoeing for me around here tho.... as you saw :D

What was it like from Grand Marias to Marquette?  I was looking at radar thinking you couldn't see your hand in front of you there.

I'm only 10 miles from the mine. I actually got lost on my quad around that area in September, and the dirt track I was on kept getting narrower and narrower and the woods closing in and closing in, then boom it ended after 8 miles. I was low on gas, it was getting dark and I was alone. I got pretty nervous. From Negaunee to Skanee and north, I've found some sweet places off the beaten path.

Snow way to deep for anything but shoeing for me around here tho.... as you saw :D

What was it like from Grand Marias to Marquette? I was looking at radar thinking you couldn't see your hand in front of you there.

It was a snow dust nightmare. It looks like about 2 feet fell from just east of Munising to Grand Marais.

As for the quad getting lost... I can imagine. You would probably have succumbed to biting flies and mosquitos if you had to walk to Big Bay.

Looks like the snow will stiffen up with the impending warmup, but nothing should be lost north of the bridge, Gaylord will take a minor hit.

The models look good after that. We should be able to keep the fun rolling through early March.

I'm heading up to Canada in 10 days.

Looks like the snow will stiffen up with the impending warmup, but nothing should be lost north of the bridge, Gaylord will take a minor hit.

The models look good after that. We should be able to keep the fun rolling through early March.

I'm heading up to Canada in 10 days.

Worst part will be Friday when its raining, riding sleds in the rain is not very enjoyable to say the least. 

In an average Winter, the UP is just hitting its stride.

The UP should be mostly fine from the warmup... Probably compact a few inches, but water content and snow isn't going to look much different. One LES period or clipper and you would never know it happened.

The UP should be mostly fine from the warmup... Probably compact a few inches, but water content and snow isn't going to look much different. One LES period or clipper and you would never know it happened.

secretly I'm hoping for a mini thaw because I have so much damn snow on my roof and shoveling a roof isn't exactly fun.

More than likely it's going to get infused with rain and get heavier

• 2 weeks later...

From the NWS out of Gaylord this morning:

"THE OTHER MAIN STORY AND ONE THAT WARM WEATHER LOVERS WILL BE
EXCITED TO HEAR...UPPER LEVEL RIDGING BEGINS TO BUILD INTO THE
CENTER OF THE COUNTRY EARLY NEXT WEEK...BECOMING CENTERED OVERHEAD
BY THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK. THIS WILL BRING MUCH WARMER TEMPERATURES
STARTING MONDAY...DARE I SAY FOR MORE THAN A DAY OR TWO? AS IT WAS
SAID YESTERDAY...THIS LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE THE FINAL WEEK TO TAKE
ADVANTAGE OF MOST (IF NOT ALL) WINTER RECREATION AS NEXT WEEK`S
WARMTH WILL CERTAINLY MELT THE SNOW PACK."

This weekend might be it for snow play in northern lower it sounds like. The way this season started out in early Dec I thought it was going to turn out way worse then it did snow wise up there. I'm ready for spring. :sun: 

Is that the trail along C38 Josh? Looks really nice. I'm thinking of riding up and around that way Saturday.

Yes, that's trail 4 which is pretty close to my house, which is usually the first trail to get chewed up from traffic and the sun, it was actually in pretty decent condition. Once you get in the woods it was even better. Now - Weekend will probably be it for the season so if your going to ride at least around my area better do it now. 

Archived