Newest Member
    joxey
2014-2015 Winter Sports thread

Jonger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was up ridding in the UP, Paradise, over the weekend, crazy how much snow is still up there north of M28. Might even try to get back up in two weeks if the snow holds. In town the piles are huge, about 30 or so inches on the flat up there still. Lots of winter left up there but was really surprised how much open water there was looking out on Lake Superior between White Fish Point all the way over to Grand Marais. Open as far as you could see.

Was up ridding in the UP, Paradise, over the weekend, crazy how much snow is still up there north of M28. Might even try to get back up in two weeks if the snow holds. In town the piles are huge, about 30 or so inches on the flat up there still. Lots of winter left up there but was really surprised how much open water there was looking out on Lake Superior between White Fish Point all the way over to Grand Marais. Open as far as you could see.

I'm heading up to Wawa, Ontario next week Friday... Gonna do a 3 Day permit.. Ride Sat, Sun, Mon and head back Tuesday morning. That will wrap up 2014-2015 snowmobiling. With the exchange rate and gas prices, won't get any cheaper than this for Canadian riding. 50-60 Inches just to the east of Wawa... Powder/granular snow.

Best time of the season is now, in Ontario... North of Sudbury of course.

• 8 months later...

I'm heading up to Wawa, Ontario next week Friday... Gonna do a 3 Day permit.. Ride Sat, Sun, Mon and head back Tuesday morning. That will wrap up 2014-2015 snowmobiling. With the exchange rate and gas prices, won't get any cheaper than this for Canadian riding. 50-60 Inches just to the east of Wawa... Powder/granular snow.

Best time of the season is now, in Ontario... North of Sudbury of course.

I know this is a old thread but I was wondering if someone was going to start a new one for this season. Not looking like we're going to have a bunch to talk about for a while with this warm weather but I will say we did get some good snowmobiling in for a few days back when we got all that snow two weeks back. We have plans to spend the week between Christmas and New Years up near White Fish Point north of Paradise so hopefully it will start cooling off so we can ride some. Things can change really fast up there north of M28 so I have hope still but I'm not going to lie, I'm fine with 40+ degrees and sun with light winds like we had today down here all year as long as they get some good snow up north. I'm not a big fan of that really cold stuff like we had the past two seasons in Jan and Feb.

I know this is a old thread but I was wondering if someone was going to start a new one for this season. Not looking like we're going to have a bunch to talk about for a while with this warm weather but I will say we did get some good snowmobiling in for a few days back when we got all that snow two weeks back. We have plans to spend the week between Christmas and New Years up near White Fish Point north of Paradise so hopefully it will start cooling off so we can ride some. Things can change really fast up there north of M28 so I have hope still but I'm not going to lie, I'm fine with 40+ degrees and sun with light winds like we had today down here all year as long as they get some good snow up north. I'm not a big fan of that really cold stuff like we had the past two seasons in Jan and Feb.

I wasn't even thinking about the winter sport thread as this seems to be weeks and weeks away at best.  Weather can change in a hury but if we dont get some sustainded cold to freeze the ground any snow we get will just melt.  NWL and UP is going to be very hit or miss and ride as soon as a storm or LES event hits. Waiting for anything to setup seems to not be the way to go this year. Although with the warm temps we may get some good LES through spring whihc is pretty rare for my area.

I wasn't even thinking about the winter sport thread as this seems to be weeks and weeks away at best. Weather can change in a hury but if we dont get some sustainded cold to freeze the ground any snow we get will just melt. NWL and UP is going to be very hit or miss and ride as soon as a storm or LES event hits. Waiting for anything to setup seems to not be the way to go this year. Although with the warm temps we may get some good LES through spring whihc is pretty rare for my area.

i doubt the UP snow will melt off after every storm lol.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if any of you guys got out and enjoyed the snow up north the past week. We went up to our place at Higgins Sun the 27th, there was bare ground and they were calling for ice and only 1-3" of snow from the storm so we headed to the UP Mon. Where we were at in the UP only got maybe 7" of snow from the storm, enough to snowmobile on but not great. West of there was even less, 4" maybe but south was much better, 10-12" I would say when we drove through that area, Strongs/Trout Lake, Wed on our way back down to Higgins. The snow was pretty good, 10" or so from the bridge south to Higgins with some areas looking like they had a little more and some a little less. There was grooming taking place at Strongs, Indian River, Grayling and Higgins Lake areas that I know of on Wed and Thur. The groomed trails we rode around our place Thur were great for the most part. As we headed north and west to M72 Bear Lake area the snow got thinner and the trails had more sleds on them so they were a little rough up that way. Friday the trails were still pretty good but starting to show "snirt" in some of the corners. I herd north of M72 around the Frederic/Waters area that the trails were pretty beat because of all the sleds up that way. Everyone we talked to said the best ridding was from I-75 and east. More snow and way less sleds is sounded like. By Sat the trails around us were starting to look more snirty and in need of more snow and colder temps, it was in the 30's Sat with sun up there. We put around 300 miles on our sleds last week but if someone wanted to they could have rode a lot more. Considering there was bare ground a week ago today up there and after having the warmest Dec ever leading up to the storm that gave us the snow to play in, it was a pretty good week of winter sports for northern MI I thought.

Just wondering if any of you guys got out and enjoyed the snow up north the past week. We went up to our place at Higgins Sun the 27th, there was bare ground and they were calling for ice and only 1-3" of snow from the storm so we headed to the UP Mon. Where we were at in the UP only got maybe 7" of snow from the storm, enough to snowmobile on but not great. West of there was even less, 4" maybe but south was much better, 10-12" I would say when we drove through that area, Strongs/Trout Lake, Wed on our way back down to Higgins. The snow was pretty good, 10" or so from the bridge south to Higgins with some areas looking like they had a little more and some a little less. There was grooming taking place at Strongs, Indian River, Grayling and Higgins Lake areas that I know of on Wed and Thur. The groomed trails we rode around our place Thur were great for the most part. As we headed north and west to M72 Bear Lake area the snow got thinner and the trails had more sleds on them so they were a little rough up that way. Friday the trails were still pretty good but starting to show "snirt" in some of the corners. I herd north of M72 around the Frederic/Waters area that the trails were pretty beat because of all the sleds up that way. Everyone we talked to said the best ridding was from I-75 and east. More snow and way less sleds is sounded like. By Sat the trails around us were starting to look more snirty and in need of more snow and colder temps, it was in the 30's Sat with sun up there. We put around 300 miles on our sleds last week but if someone wanted to they could have rode a lot more. Considering there was bare ground a week ago today up there and after having the warmest Dec ever leading up to the storm that gave us the snow to play in, it was a pretty good week of winter sports for northern MI I thought.

We should meet up and ride. I'm going to be riding starting Jan 15th and will be up for anything after that weekend. Hitting the UP or Canada not this weekend, but the one after. Got a new 23ft predator stealth trailer.

I rode around my area a little over the New Years break. We got about 8-10 inches from the storm then another 3-4 LES but because it was bare warm ground and ridiculous traffic the trails never had a chance. We rode mostly two-tracks/fields and when we did try to connect on the blue bear which is pretty close to my house it was more mud/dirt with very little snow but was more surprising was how many people were still riding on it. We turned around and went back after a 100' or so.

The next couple weeks looks promising which is a step in the right direction. Still think I only get to 50% total average snowfall for the year though. 

I rode around my area a little over the New Years break. We got about 8-10 inches from the storm then another 3-4 LES but because it was bare warm ground and ridiculous traffic the trails never had a chance. We rode mostly two-tracks/fields and when we did try to connect on the blue bear which is pretty close to my house it was more mud/dirt with very little snow but was more surprising was how many people were still riding on it. We turned around and went back after a 100' or so.

The next couple weeks looks promising which is a step in the right direction. Still think I only get to 50% total average snowfall for the year though.

It will be a down season... December is usually the best month for LES and it was a complete toss in the trash. El nino effects typically relent the deeper into winter, so the troughing should continue. As we know, that's all that is needed for Gaylord to have a good winter.

I'd like to see some clipper action develop. Clippers are safe storms, typically no chance at ending up in the warm sector.

It will be a down season... December is usually the best month for LES and it was a complete toss in the trash. El nino effects typically relent the deeper into winter, so the troughing should continue. As we know, that's all that is needed for Gaylord to have a good winter.

I'd like to see some clipper action develop. Clippers are safe storms, typically no chance at ending up in the warm sector.

Yea, I already was expecting a bust, El-Nino and La-Nina's are usually not friendly for LES in the Northern Lake belts.  Clippers would be helpful but sometimes even those don't help if they don't have any moisture to work with even with having the cold air need more than that for good LES. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where are all you skier, ice fisherman and snowmobilers headed to for this long winter weekend coming up? I bet it will be crazy in northern MI. Sounds like good snow pretty much everywhere north of Bay City. For how warm it's been so far this winter the snow has come at just the right time it seems. We had that crazy 12"+ storm in Nov in lower MI that had many out playing in it. A 10"+ storm right after Christmas that allowed people to ride there sleds and ski between Christmas and New Years in northern MI and now after the rains last weekend it cools off and dumps great snow this week all over northern lower. So far I feel it's been pretty good considering the crazy strong elnino we're in. It for sure could be worse I feel for snow play up north, look at the winter of1997-98, talk about a tough snow year. My family and some friends will be snowmobiling around Higgins for a few days, still no ice on the darn lake but lots of snow so it should be pretty good I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Got out for my first "real" ride of the season around my house, weather was great actually sunshine which we haven't seen in a while up here. Snow conditions were pretty decent with all things considering.

12573143_10205359868535742_639402788718312541031_10205359869215759_548535149977812592341_10205359868055730_1952463162180

Awesome man! I've had 2 sinus infections so far this month so I haven't been able to board or ski yet this season which really sucks. I bought new Cross country skis and hoping to feel better soon. My next purchase after my house is a sled though. Can't wait!

Awesome man! I've had 2 sinus infections so far this month so I haven't been able to board or ski yet this season which really sucks. I bought new Cross country skis and hoping to feel better soon. My next purchase after my house is a sled though. Can't wait!

Thanks. I just got over the flu so wasn't a 100% but didnt get because haven't had to many decent days yet.

BTW good call on a sled they are some of the funnest things you can use, its just a shame you can only use them for such a short time of the year. 

Thanks. I just got over the flu so wasn't a 100% but didnt get because haven't had to many decent days yet.

BTW good call on a sled they are some of the funnest things you can use, its just a shame you can only use them for such a short time of the year. 

Yeah all my buddies have jet skis so I may have to grab one of those too. ^_^

Good Call, can use it more but not as much fun as a sled.

We are buying a new RV this spring to use during the warmer  months so looking forward to that.

That's awesome, do you guys go camping at all? We go up to Sauble Beach along Lake Huron in summer, that place is amazing to camp at, along with the Adirondacks.

That's awesome, do you guys go camping at all? We go up to Sauble Beach along Lake Huron in summer, that place is amazing to camp at, along with the Adirondacks.

We camped a lot with our families over the years, the past few years we tented it, not having that anymore lol. Plenty of awesome places up there area as well for camping, hiking, biking etc definitely looking forward to it. 

I think this will be a UP / Ontario storm

Wouldn't be upset. I have no worthwhile snow on the ground to maintain, so I'd rather see this go north than south. A snow line from Muskegon to Clare and covering the entire UP and Algoma region of Ontario. I'd be happy.

Archived