joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can say it...it did. Welcome to the board. The happiest place on earth when the models show snow.

Busy day in the office so I'm just catching up on the 6z, 12z, 18z runs.  Comparing to yesterday's 18z GEFS when 6 tracked west of us, 4 track west of us (and 1 over DC) on today's 18Z GEFS.  So a trend towards a coastal.  

What is the normal upgrade cycle for models?  Or are most "upgrades" just minor tweaks?

The primary changes are to horizontal resolution on both the operational and ensemble. It's really cool stuff. Topography and proximity to bodies of water and things like that will be much more accurate in model land. The current euro ensembles decrease resolution d10+. It could be one of the reasons that d11-15 are much more smoothed with progression of features than d5-10. That will be changing in March as well. 

The short story is the upgrades appear to be scoring higher than the current op and ensembles. Looks pretty good to me. 

There are other changes as well but I'm not smart enough to explain them. 

This is an excellent link:

https://software.ecmwf.int/wiki/display/FCST/Detailed+information+of+implementation+of+IFS+cycle+41r2

NWP models are simply amazing nowadays. Anyone who says they suck are disrespectful and have zero grasp on how advanced and incredibly complicated they are. 

The primary changes are to horizontal resolution on both the operational and ensemble. It's really cool stuff. Topography and proximity to bodies of water and things like that will be much more accurate in model land. The current euro ensembles decrease resolution d10+. It could be one of the reasons that d11-15 are much more smoothed with progression of features than d5-10. That will be changing in March as well. 

The short story is the upgrades appear to be scoring higher than the current op and ensembles. Looks pretty good to me. 

https://software.ecmwf.int/wiki/display/FCST/Detailed+information+of+implementation+of+IFS+cycle+41r2

NWP models are simply amazing nowadays. Anyone who says they suck are disrespectful and have zero grasp on how advanced and incredibly complicated they are. 

Thanks.  There is so much to look forward to wrt future upgrades.  I just hope "the Americans" get the funding they need to keep up.  

That's because your only comparing it to the gfs which was equally awful. The U.K. And euro had the right idea. The gfs added confusion. Looking at the ggem just added more confusion not more clarity. More wrong answers never get you a right answer.

No model is going to give you the right answer (except maybe today's 12z Euro), but a lot of "wrong" answers can get you close because their errors tend to cancel.  That's why ensemble forecasting works so well.  The GEFS has 21 members running at 50 km resolution, 20 of which are perturbed.  I'm pretty sure that if you looked at any one member, it would be terrible, especially in the long range.  But taken together, they are a more powerful long-range forecasting tool than the Euro op.  And if you added even more lousy members, the ensemble would get even better. 

We have a lot of op runs to look at, most of which are far better than any of the GEFS members.  Taken together, they make up a pretty good ensemble.

Anyway, I'll hug the Euro for now.  Looking forwards to the 00z runs.

The GEFS has 21 members running at 50 km resolution, 20 of which are perturbed.  I'm pretty sure that if you looked at any one member, it would be terrible, especially in the long range.  But taken together, they are a more powerful long-range forecasting tool than the Euro.  

I'm curious about your wording here -- are you comparing the GEFS to the Euro operational model? Doesn't the Euro have its own ensemble set that would, all else being equal, be the most powerful tool at this range? 

I'm curious about your wording here -- are you comparing the GEFS to the Euro operational model? Doesn't the Euro have its own ensemble set that would, all else being equal, be the most powerful tool at this range? 

Yes, I was referring to the Euro op.  I'll go back and edit the post to make that clear.  The EPS (the Euro ensemble) is probably the most powerful tool at long range, followed by the NAEFS.  And if you could combine them, it would be even better.

I have no input on the topic of discussion but just wanted to say.. Go Heels!!

And the Nam is the best model.

It's better to just imagine it.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that. So perfect haha

Over under for the rest of winter.

Dca: 6"

iAd: 10"

Bwi: 8"

Leesburgh: 12"

Westminster: 13"

Northeast md: CRUSHED!!!

I'm gonna weenie out right now, but I'll take the over for my neck of the woods (IAD). Why not..

The gefs moving a little more in the right direction has me feeling inspired this evening

Here is a good question do the new models have an equation for enhanced weather dynamics caused by global warming / climate change or is this an impossibility?

H5 is a hot mess. It's like a shell game. Pretty easy to hug the euro + ens even if it means I watch i81 get shut down while my lawn gets greener. Gfs run to run consistency has been a bit rough since the blizz.

I'm trying to spend less time on snow storms at this point so I didn't even look too close today. But the Euro has been persistent enough with the coastal track it's hard not to want to hug it for now even if the pattern says the GFS is probably closer. Para Euro had same thing but a day later it seemed.

I'm trying to spend less time on snow storms at this point so I didn't even look too close today. But the Euro has been persistent enough with the coastal track it's hard not to want to hug it for now even if the pattern says the GFS is probably closer. Para Euro had same thing but a day later it seemed.

I asked earlier but don't think you caught it. What is SV showing for analogs for the EPS d11-15? I would think it would have some nice ones mixed in there. It was a good run.

Archived