Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 8-9th Miller Boom or Bust Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I posted on FB. It's for DC only.

"My thoughts on the Monday/Tuesday "snow" event for DC proper. LOW CONFIDENCE.

This is a really disorganized system, and not a traditional snow producing set up for DC. The models are not on the same page either, which is making it an even tougher forecast. Intermittent rain will arrive sometime Monday afternoon and occasionally mix with snow especially as we head late into the evening. It will be warm, so I don't expect any accumulation unless we get into a heavier band. Our best chance of accumulation will be overnight and into early morning, as temps drop to the 32-34 range. IF we can time this period with some heavier snow, we may score a couple inches. There will be a heavier band of precip. Where it sets up and when it happens is uncertain right now. Tuesday, I think we warm up quickly, though we may see some periods of light snow/mix through midday or early afternoon. If you like snow, keep expectations very low, and we might be able to score something modest. The pattern gets colder and much less hostile as we head toward next weekend and beyond. So I don't think our snow chances are over. We should have a better snow pattern, mid month."

So, I'll take the GFS. .77" qpf for Westminster, only .1 or so lost to rain/snow

Yeah, I'd feel good about that too. It may not snow if the temps aren't good, but it might. In other words, it might snow at 34 degrees and accumulate, or it may not. If there's no precip, then there's an absolute certainty that it won't snow. People probably get tired of me beating this drum, but give me precip and lets see what happens.

Timing looks good up your way as well. Looks like most of the precip starts after dark.

This is what I posted on FB. It's for DC only.

"My thoughts on the Monday/Tuesday "snow" event for DC proper. LOW CONFIDENCE.

This is a really disorganized system, and not a traditional snow producing set up for DC. The models are not on the same page either, which is making it an even tougher forecast. Intermittent rain will arrive sometime Monday afternoon and occasionally mix with snow especially as we head late into the evening. It will be warm, so I don't expect any accumulation unless we get into a heavier band. Our best chance of accumulation will be overnight and into early morning, as temps drop to the 32-34 range. IF we can time this period with some heavier snow, we may score a couple inches. There will be a heavier band of precip. Where it sets up and when it happens is uncertain right now. Tuesday, I think we warm up quickly, though we may see some periods of light snow/mix through midday or early afternoon. If you like snow, keep expectations very low, and we might be able to score something modest. The pattern gets colder and much less hostile as we head toward next weekend and beyond. So I don't think our snow chances are over. We should have a better snow pattern, mid month."

Good write-up Matt and spot on for us.  Not to beat a dead horse but it's all about if we can score a heavier band/precip max especially overnight.  Para Euro would be good for us if we could shift the max north 50 miles.  

Yeah, I'd feel good about that too. It may not snow if the temps aren't good, but it might. In other words, it might snow at 34 degrees and accumulate, or it may not. If there's no precip, then there's an absolute certainty that it won't snow. People probably get tired of me beating this drum, but give me precip and lets see what happens.

Timing looks good up your way as well. Looks like most of the precip starts after dark.

:lol:

The reality of just how awesome the dream scenario HECS was when I look at this event. We tracked a massive storm for days and it delivered for the entire forum with hours of snow and no mixing and reached climo in two days. May be a long time before we see that again. Now we are tracking weak precip with marginal temps. Awake now.

SREF :(

They go nuts with the coastal like the 18z nam. Like I said earlier if nyc gets 6"+ from that were toast. Stef back 3-4" all the way to philly from that. Our 1" pity mean is from a couple members target snow from the coastal all the way here. There is no second event it's swallowedup by the raging storm off the coast. We should know soon. That event is getting pretty short term so I would suspect tonight at 0z the models will either make a major move towards the nam idea or not. If they don't at least we are still in the game to get lucky from the weird inverted trough thingy.

They go nuts with the coastal like the 18z nam. Like I said earlier if nyc gets 6"+ from that were toast. Stef back 3-4" all the way to philly from that. Our 1" pity mean is from a couple members target snow from the coastal all the way here. There is no second event it's swallowedup by the raging storm off the coast. We should know soon. That event is getting pretty short term so I would suspect tonight at 0z the models will either make a major move towards the nam idea or not. If they don't at least we are still in the game to get lucky from the weird inverted trough thingy.

Sim radar at 42 hrs suggests the ocean storm only grazes Boston

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam%2F00%2Fnam_namer_042_sim_radar.gif&model=nam&area=namer&storm=&cycle=00&param=sim_radar&fhr=042&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160207+00+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Archived